time between turns

I'm pretty sure the units are not being "graphically" moved at all when you don't see them. That is, when they are not rendered on your screen.
If you just leave quick moves on, the AI moving them one at a time or not is not going to make any difference because what you are seeing isn't actually happening unless you are watching.
It's how games work, it's all smoke and mirrors :p

during my programming-laboratory at the university (don't know how that translates to english correctly) we had to implement path finding algorithms (more precise finding steiner trees on graphs). and i know that a good implementation needed about 10'000'000 iteration to take a noticeable amount of time on my old machine (though the default path lengths were short). so i think unit movement shouldn't take much time if it's well coded. however i'd expect AI unit management to be the most calculation intensive part of the code - apart from the graphical engine.

I'm pretty sure the units are not being "graphically" moved at all when you don't see them. That is, when they are not rendered on your screen.
If you just leave quick moves on, the AI moving them one at a time or not is not going to make any difference because what you are seeing isn't actually happening unless you are watching.
It's how games work, it's all smoke and mirrors :p

Yes i understand that the units are not being graghically moved when you are not viewing them.

Yet it only takes 15 secs less waiting when i have the option to view the AI moves turned off. Watching them it takes 15 secs more and they are moving one at a time. So if you were watching them move as stacks, then the wait time would be far less.

So my original thought is if you can get the the AI to move them graghically as stacks while you watch them then the wait time would be lower.

Just give it a shot, load up a large map and get to mid game and turn the option on to see the moves of friends and enemies. Then go to world edit and put spies all over the place so you can see everything or make everyone allies and place units all over the map so you can see most of the map and hit the end turn button and watch all the units being moved one at a time. Then ask yourself, if they were being moved as stacks, it would have taken a lot shorter time for my turn to come back around.

Let's all just hope that Civ5 will not have the same issue with turn times :)

Don't get me wrong Afforess... your mod is amazing! Thanks for all the hard work!

I've never played A New Dawn before today. I decided to try it out, getting the latest version & patch F, and chucking that over the latest Civ & RoM. I had read somewhere in AND's texts that turn times were quicker than with regular RoM.

Ugh - while the features are lovely, the turn processing times were unplayable. Playing a nearly identical map/game setup as with regular RoM, turn times were taking longer to process before I'd even reached the Medieval age, than they were in a game that was rapidly approaching future era with regular RoM. Realising that the turns were just gradually getting slower and slower, I gave up on it, knowing it would be impossible late game.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your creations on the upcoming Civ V engine though, hopefully things on a brand new engine (particularly one which pretty much forces a lot less units!) will be super smooth for a long time to come :D

Did you have limited units per tile enabled?

That really slaughters the AI's ability to pass the turn quickly.

Did you have limited units per tile enabled?

That really slaughters the AI's ability to pass the turn quickly.

Ah, possibly - I didn't enable it - is it on by default? It's not an option I noticed anywhere in the various options screens. Any idea at all if it's enabled by default, as if so then yes that could well have been it!

If you don't have at least 2 Gb of RAM, you'll suffer severe loading times. Try playing a smaller map or shorter timescale, but don't drop below Epic :p

If you don't have at least 2 Gb of RAM, you'll suffer severe loading times. Try playing a smaller map or shorter timescale, but don't drop below Epic :p

RAM's not the issue - 8 GB, and a fast CPU & GPU. The turn processing times definitely seem CPU based, and are only a real issue with "A New Dawn", not standard RoM (still does eventually get minutes per turn in the later eras with RoM, but A New Dawn was hitting 5 minute turns really, really early on in to a game in comparison). But I don't know if this "limited units per tile" thing Iceciro mentioned is the chief cause - no idea if that's something enabled by default, and I've since reverted back to standard RoM!

Well, I'm just going to throw it out there that it's mainly because with ruthless ai, we're seeing stacks of 100 (I saw 5 stacks of 300 calvary, modern grenadiers, infantry, artillery, and tanks) which is really good gameplay wise since it means you won't exactly be steam rolling over the enemy, but at the same time the ai is moving these between cities every turn for who knows what reason. Even I with 5/6's of the transhuman era researched ended up opting for a diplomatic victory since once you hit superhuman, 50 pop cities is a joke.

Curious now. What's your CPU speed?

I haven't had any issues with extreme load times, and I play on Giant mapsetting.

Don't play with Ruthless AI either. Anything that forces the AI to spam units or micromanage them will cripple turn times. Personally, Huge/Marathon suits me just fine.

Using 1.74 I have about 15-20 seconds between turns. Considering this is turn 1300 on huge enterity w/70 cities on the map on a comp with 900k of RAM I do not consider it to be that bad. I won't try going above huge, even with the 3GB switch on.

Maybe an option to set a unit limit per civ would help with turn times then, if unit movement is such a big factor.
not a bad suggestion. my observation is that often the most backward civs have the largest (and for the other civs outdated) military. and on top of them is shaka of the zulus spamming impis while other civs are on the verge of medieval age. this behaviour slows the game without adding anything to it.

Part of that is I believe backwards AIs try to spam more units to overcome str deficiencies that are, in fact, based on unit technological levels. The costs of which only drive them further behind...

I'd support a Unit Limit Per Civ, but more than that I'd support a Unit Limit based on a civ's technological level.

I also agree on a unit limit based on a number of factors.
1. City Population: A historical limiting factor
2. Percentage of World Map: A minor factor, but represent rural populations
3. Technologies: Trade: Hiring Mercs, Leadership: Better organization, Military Robotics: Self-explanatory, etc.
4. Civics: Vassalage, Nationalist, Post-Scarcity, etc. allows more

I think a unit limiting system combined with limited units per tile can make some interesting games. Balancing such a component is probably going to hit the Civ5 wall, not to mention coding a feature like this which would be realistic.

I also agree on a unit limit based on a number of factors.
1. City Population: A historical limiting factor
2. Percentage of World Map: A minor factor, but represent rural populations
3. Technologies: Trade: Hiring Mercs, Leadership: Better organization, Military Robotics: Self-explanatory, etc.
4. Civics: Vassalage, Nationalist, Post-Scarcity, etc. allows more

It could only work with xUPT because without xUPT, the power between a large country and small one would grow greatly.

Also, since some civics already lower military production or increase it, why not just work with that a bit more instead of just using a flat limit?

Everyone who has games with really slow turns, can you try your games with this new DLL? I've made some modifications, and am curious if you notice any difference. It won't break saves.

(The DLL should be copied to Rise of Mankind/Assets/; overwriting the old one already there)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49805/CvGameCoreDLL.dll

Top Bottom