1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Tolkien's Middle-Earth Modpack

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Eclipse, May 8, 2002.

1. Eclipse

Eclipse Warlord

I know...I know...it's a big pig!

:eek:

2. Eclipse

Eclipse Warlord

I just thought of one thing that may cause some anomalies (not sure if WhiteKnights problem may be included) but I built this modpack on v1.21f ONLY. If you attempt to run it on an older version you may run into problems.

I'm going to be going through the modpack later tonight looking for solutions to a few bugs that have been identified so far. Hopefully I will be able to roll up a small patch for release Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks,
    Eclipse

3. Eclipse

Eclipse Warlord

Yep, I screwed up. Errors in the unit's INI file. I'll include the fixed file here, to replace the original located in the Art\units\Halfling Spearman directory. The fix will also be rolled up into a patch to be release later this week. Thanks for finding the bug!

Eclipse

Attached Files:

4. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Windows tell me the file (once recreated) is not a alid Windows Installer file...

5. Eclipse

Eclipse Warlord

It's quite possible one of the download files is corrupt which could cause you problem. Another possibility is that you may need to upgrade to Windows Installer Service 2.0 (XP comes with WIS 2.0) in order to recognize the the installer file.

If you're not using Windows XP, I'd first try installing the latest Windows Installer first (as it's a smaller download). If that doesn't work then you may have to download ALL 13 files again. :(

Download Microsoft Windows Installer Service 2.0 for your OS:

Windows Installer for 95/98/ME

Windows Installer for NT/2000

Please let me know if either solution works!

Thanks,
    Eclipse

6. Eclipse

Eclipse Warlord

One thing that I'd failed to see during myt own playtesting (albeit limited) was an encounter with the Kraken, which happens to be the Barbarian sea unit. Now, I'm not a real seafaring player so that didn't surprise me.

If anyone has seen this unit during play yet please let me know if it seems to be operating at all. And, by the way, it should have beat the crap out of you! :satan:

Thanks,
    Eclipse

7. Engine 46

Engine 46 Chieftain

hey eclipse thanks for the fix on the halfiling spearmen, also ive had my butt kicked a couple of times by the krackens, i like them though, they kick everyones butt from what ive seen

8. Eclipse

Eclipse Warlord

Cool! As I'd mentioned in the release notes, the balance in the game, at present, is virtually non-existent. But I'm glad that it at least works properly. :)

On another note, I've spent all evening finishing the new tech tree. Tomorrow night will be spent working on wonders/small wonders, and Tuesday on to metrics for the governments.

I could rush the update out by Wednesday evening, but I'll hold off at least one day and try to test a little first. :rolleyes:

So basically, EXPECT THE NEXT BETA RELEASE THIS FRIDAY!

Thanks,
    Eclipse

9. Ad Hominem

Ad Hominem Chieftain

Eclipse I can't find words... looks like a HUGE work and I look forward on playtesting the next beta version (I didn't had time till now but I think next weekend I can convince the wife to get off my back for a few hours).

So I'll wait to download the next beta on Friday... great job buddy, if you make it through the end, you'll give this game much more than it already has. And maybe allow us to play around with it until the expansion pack is out.

:goodjob:

10. Pygzilla

Pygzilla loser of lost games

I'm sorry for the ignorant question but if I install this mod pack will it eliminate the regular civ settings?:confused:

11. Eclipse

Eclipse Warlord

You bet! :D

The easiest, and safest, thing to do, if you can spare the drive space, is to make a copy your entire Civilization III directory. Steps to follow:

1. Browse to the Infogrames Interactive directory.
    2. Right-click Civilization III folder and select Copy.
    3. Right-click Infogrames Interactive directory and select Paste. This should create another subfolder called Copy of Civilization III. Warning: This will take up an additional 700+MB on your harddrive!
    4. Once copy is complete, install modpack following the instructions. This will install it on top of the Civilization III folder.

When you want to switch back to your original Civilization III settings use the following steps:

1. Browse to the Infogrames Interactive directory.
    2. Right-click Civilization III folder and select Rename.
    3. Rename it to Civilization III TME (or whatever you want)
    4. Right-click Copy of Civilization III folder and select Rename.
    5. Rename it back to Civilization III. Now you can run Civ III as it used to look before you installed the modpack.
    6. Reverse these instructions to go back to the Middle-Earth modpack version.

Remember!!! Before you try installing any Middle-Earth modpack patches or update I may release, make sure you have the modpack version of Civ III located in the Civilization III directory and not somewhere else! :eek:

12. bobgote

bobgote Trousers

Hi, i've been looking for middle-earth mods recently and yours is the first i've found. I was just hoping to get an additional civ (Noldor preferably) done by someone who knew what they were talking about. Thing is, i'd prefer to keep the original civ intact.

I know this is your baby and you must've put stacks of work into it, but is there any way to just add that one civ into the normal game? and is there anywhere i can go to get more details of your civs, like a readme or something.

Anyway, it looks really cool, good work

13. Pygzilla

Will the next beta relaese require a full download or will it be a smaller mod?

I'm new to this mod stuff

14. Eclipse

Eclipse Warlord

It will just be an update. What I'm working on now will likely just effect the .bic, .txt, and odd graphic, so the next release will must likely be less than 1MB and downloadable seperately.

I won't re-release the monster 45MB version until v1.0, so no need to worry. One thing to keep in mind though is that your savegames with v0.20 won't work after the next update. :)

15. Eclipse

Eclipse Warlord

In particular, what is it you're looking for in reference to the Noldor?

This modpack includes, among other things, accurate city naming, accurate hero naming, multiple unique units per race, and animated leaderheads specific to each race. If all you want is city names or leaderheads for the Noldor I can simply email it to you. Any more than that you'd be better off playing the modpack. At least with that you'll have the luxury of playing other ME races and having the Elven units available.

Eclipse

16. Clycerine

Clycerine Chieftain

Great Modpack. I only noticed a few things that needed work though.

When you research Monarchy, you end up getting about 4 popups for revolts, this normally wouldn't be a problem, except there's no description(and the effects) for Theocracy and the rest(can't remember the other 3 hehe).

Also, excellent work on the hobbit units, I get a laugh everytime they run by. :goodjob:

17. layox

layox Chieftain

First, that's a really good thing. Good idea! I'm a fan of civilization and Tolkien's stories and i wait in hope your final release.

I've tried your mod and I want to give you a suggestion if you want (if you don't already have it in mind):

First thing, a specific unit caracteristiques for each unit (like rohirrim cavalier have something more than other cavalier, like speed). You said about palletting and size but for caracteristique ? Perhaps you have already think of it.

Second, perhaps (eventually of course) add a good description of each civilization alone and via others (ennemies, relations and allies, historically and now) and if your'e able, apply modifier depend of the type of relation (negative modifier between Mordor and Gondor, positive rel. between allies or futur allies). You would make it appear with Historicaly Events. This will more fidel and add a new perception in game and on civilization choosing start.

Last thing, I hope you will give determined location for each civilization on your futur map of middle earth (like Morgot in Mordor or Gondorian in Gondor etc.)

For the futur you propose this will surely take me another batch of fun hours...good work

18. Eclipse

Eclipse Warlord

Yes, the government are simply "there". This version of the release didn't have any of the metrics needed to make them actually worthwhile, also research Monarchy right now will end up allow at least three new government all at the same time. I simply didn't have time to create the new techs before releasing the beta.

Stay tuned! Hopefully before next week I will have the next version out (just an update file! Not a whole new 13 file download. :rolleyes: ) that will include workable governments, and a new tech tree.

I've got several wonders mapped out but if I can ever settle on which to include I may be able to include those aswell! If not, they'll slip to the next-next beta release, along with resources. :)

Eclipse

19. Eclipse

Eclipse Warlord

The units already include some unique characteristics, especially the ones included along with the Rider of Rohan, Nazgul, Shadowman, Ranger, Berserker, Mumakil, etc... I will eventually create a nice readme file that will include the stats for all the units but in the meantime feel free to take a look at the bic file to see how they differ.

Completing the Civilopedia file is definitely in the cards! Unfortunately, since this is probably one of the easiest tasks but a time consumer I've pushed it off till last, but it will be in v1.0.

At the moment, there is no real way to give specific races a predisposition towards allying or going to war with other races, which is a major flaw. If anyone has a work-around for this please let me know! I could really, really use it. :)
    This is possible to do and once I've had time to complete a map I will definitely include the correct start locations for each race. As I'd mentioned in my earlier postings, creating a Middle-Earth is likely to be included in a post-v1.0 release of the modpack.

Thanks for the feedback! :goodjob:

Eclipse

20. Pygzilla

Just played it tonight.

tiny map all random I got morgoth vs gondor dunedain and noldor. I figured I had to play mean. attack unprovoked and destroyed gondor then dunedain with my uruk hai. Luckily I had no rep hits because I only had contact with the civs I attacked.
    The game locked when I was halfway through the Noldor Probably intervention by the Vallar. I will pick up the autosave tomorrow

A few comments
    The Uruk Hai seem over powered. 3 was enough to take out any city. They might be better, with mods of course as a Chivalry unit.
    Morgoth with chivalry:lol: :lol:
    They seem to run rather quickly in the books.
    I was only on warlord. maybe this is why they seemed overpowered.

Liked the kraken. Will you have land barbs like Shelob?

I haven't look at the woners yet. But will you have a ONE RING.Maybe it could have increased military strength but lock you into despotism.

Taskmasters instead of entertainers.(who cares if you are happy work) would be a 'nice' touch for morgoth. I really find it difficult to imagine him hireing a bard.
    :whipped: