1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Tolkien's Middle-Earth Modpack

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Eclipse, May 8, 2002.

1. Eclipse

Eclipse Warlord

Latest Version Date: 05/08/02
    Current Full Version: v0.2 Beta
    Current Patch Version: N/A

Ok, after countless hours of work, here it is!

Please remember, this the first beta release and the product is NOT complete! There is much work to do still and the primary reason for releasing it now, in its present state, is to test the unit animations, determine which direction to take for sound creation, and to fine-tune balance (which is NON-EXISTENT currently!)

Some key items to note...

•The Governments are "roughed in" and will absolutely change so don't get too hung up on there current state of disrepair.

•The tech tree, wonders, resources, and quite likely improvement will be changing also prior to final release.

•Again, the main focus of the beta is to test unit animations, other game graphics, and to get some constructive feedback from the playtesters.

•I've yet to complete the credits page but until I do, I'd like to give a big thanks to all those on this board who have created some of the fantastic unit animations I've included! Good job all!

Feel free to email me directly at eclipse1024@hotmail.com if you have any input you'd like to remain anonymous.

Thanks,
    Eclipse

Edit:
    Ah yes, another change to PTW that I didnt remember. This is a pediaicons.txt file error. Just open the file in the "ME" folder and add the following to the end of it:

Code:
    #ERA_SPLASH_ERAS_Ancient_Times
    art\erasplash\ancient.pcx
    art\erasplash\medival.pcx
    #ERA_SPLASH_ERAS_Middle_Ages
    art\erasplash\medival.pcx
    art\erasplash\indust.pcx
    #ERA_SPLASH_ERAS_Industrial_Age
    art\erasplash\indust.pcx
    art\erasplash\modern.pcx
    #ERA_SPLASH_ERAS_Modern_Era
    art\erasplash\modern.pcx
    art\erasplash\modern.pcx

- GIDustin

2. Eclipse

Eclipse Warlord

3. Eclipse

Eclipse Warlord

v0.2beta - 05/08/02

•16 civilizations from M.E.
    •Accurate city naming (500+ in all)
    •80+ new units, all with unique paletting and/or sizing
    •New Leaderhead animations and graphics
    •10 governments available*
    •Civilopedia updated with unit, government, and race info*
    •Era Splashes
    •New City screen & view graphics
    •unit_32 updated
    •Revised smallhead graphics

*still needs work

4. Eclipse

Eclipse Warlord

v1.0
    •Revamped Techtree
    •Several new resources
    •Complete Civilopedia entries for all new content
    •Completely redone music score
    •Modified sounds
    •Redone Wonders and Improvements

v2.0
    •Map of Middle-Earth from 1st and 3nd Ages
    •Additional units
    •Leverage new scenario capabilities of future Civ III expansion
    •Further granularity on the Techtree, Wonders, and Improvements

5. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

6. kring

kring Asst Cook & Bottle Washer

There are a number of options available: break it down into several smaller files, Yahoo (and others) allow a briefcase to store up to 30 MB free, individual file limited to 5 MB.

7. kring

BTW, I am looking forward to playing it once you do have it available.

8. Eclipse

Eclipse Warlord

I'm currently uploading the dozen or so 3MB files to this sites upload section. Should be ready in about... 2hrs...:mad:

Update: It's done!

9. LordMonarch

LordMonarch Chieftain

Nice to see you finish so early, I did't think you would get it up so soon, Good Job. I look forward to playing it.:)

10. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Chieftain

Running file 13 just brings up "run program with" screen. I used "save file as" on the thirteenth, by the way. So, what do I have to do to get it working?

11. kring

What files do I need to back up before I run this?

Edited IN:

Okay, I backed up the Civ III Art, Text folders and the bic file, per the installation wizard.

12. coolguy

coolguy Chieftain

I was downloading your mod, and when I tried to download file 13 it just took me to a page with commands. Is this some sort of instruction, and if so what am I supposed to do?

13. kring

Here is how I was able to download file 13, I had the same problem you did when I first tried to d/l it.

You want to do a "save as" instead of an open new window.

14. LordMonarch

LordMonarch Chieftain

If you have IE save target as and save file 13 as a .bat file then take the .net extension of 1 to 12 and run the .bat file. Clicking on the film 13 will just show you the .bat code. When you run the bat file 1 to 12 will come to together to form a setup program.

Hope that helped..

15. Eclipse

Eclipse Warlord

Sorry guys. I didn't think the download process would be such a pain. It looks like you were all able to answer your questions however. Thanks for sticking in there!

Has anyone actually been able to play it yet? I've only gotten a couple of emails from folks so far and I want to make sure the installer is working for everyone at the very least. :)

Thanks,
    Eclipse

16. Engine 46

Engine 46 Chieftain

Eclipse, I just finished playing a very small game (3 civs) just to test out gameplay without having to think too much. I played as the Noldor, and my opponenets were the Mordain and the Dorwinion (sp?). It ran through the whole game w/o crashing. The Dorwinion's were very aggressive though, they kept on declaring war on me for no reason and they had one unit on horseback that was totally invincible, I'm not sure of the name though. Otherwise game was very smooth units look and move good. It'd be cool to see a new tech tree and some new buildings and wonders and stuff. great job

17. kring

Eclipse, I am playing a standard map, with 6 other civs, the Dwarves against the Easterlings, Dark Elves, Haradrim, Dorwinrim, and the other non good races. So far, so good, it is about mid 1000's BC, and the only problem I have had is intermittent screen blackness, usually for only a half second or so. This was not happening before I d/l'ed the game. Everything else is going great.

18. Engine 46

Engine 46 Chieftain

Ok, so my first game was perhaps a fluke.....I just was playing a game as the Woses and when I tried to change governments from despotism to empire (just to see how that worked 'cause I don't actually know the differences yet) the game crashed. So I started a new game as the hobbits and I built the first city and tried to build "halfling spearmen" and the game crashed out to windows again. So I tried the halfling experiment again, and it crashed a second time. Just some more constructive criticism, we'll get there. Good job so far.:goodjob:

19. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Chieftain

I tried running Civ3 after installing the Middle Earth Mod and it won't let me start a new game. I clicked on New Game but nothing happens besides the clicking sound. Does anyone else have this problem?

20. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

hey Eclipse, I was going to delete your modpack files from the server because it looked like usage abuse to me. :D I thought someone is using the file server for personal stuff.

Then I found this thread... :)