Total Domination Challenge G&K

Grendeldef

Trancerelic & coffeeholic
We're roughly a month into G&K and peeps are most likely familiar with all the news things so it might be the time to renew the Snarzberry's original challenge in G&K environment. Hopefully even the reigning champion JeanBaptiste can manage a pc in time to participate.

In respect to the original we'll keep few as they were:

- lvl = deity
- continents
- map size = std (8 civs)
- game speed = std
- no mods that affect the save file
- VC = total domination ie player must control every city (own, annexed or puppet) on the map apart from CSs still alive
- No trade & DoW ie you can't 1st sell everything & then DoW AI - a reasonable cooling off period is 10-15 turns or whatever is agreed. AI initiated trades are ok.
- Mongols & the Huns are excluded civs for human players

A Note of Official Start @ 25.7.2012. Rules are edited & final so keep the ideas for forthcoming challenges.

Since these sort of games tend to be longish we'll give peeps ~3 weeks to complete. Especially since the Olympics will start shortly and there may be individuals like me for whom Olympics > everything.
Good luck hunting down the Tabarnak's seemingly excellent time of T240.

G

I need to work my domination strategies first :D

Still working on peaceful games. I will lurk this thread for next days/weeks.

trying small map with 8 civs small continents with Nabby and science victory disabled. Quite nice challenge. Why not small map low sea and 8 civs?. Fair balance and size and necessity to involve in naval warfare. Low sea means there will be enuffplace for civs to expand.

Might give this a go, im no deity player (emperor) so im probally going to fail horribly, will be fun to try at least though!:)

Why would pangaea be too easy and continents too hard? If anything, warring on pangaea will make you more enemies than on continents. I'd say intercontinental invasions are easier to pull off, especially with 4-range battleships clearing the way.

Why would pangaea be too easy and continents too hard? If anything, warring on pangaea will make you more enemies than on continents. I'd say intercontinental invasions are easier to pull off, especially with 4-range battleships clearing the way.

On pangaea one can totally ignore naval forces & be succesful - this hopefully is not the case on continental maps @G&K. Theoretically possible, though. Too easy maybe a bit of oversimplifying but other types are most likely slower to conquer and thefore 'harder'. Also this was essential part of the original challenge to avoid pangaea.
I can recall saying continents is too hard and if someone understood it like that I'm sorry - that is false interpretation. Continents is fine and there's always a chance for fine tuning. Widely speaking 'harder' here also means 'slower'.

I agree based on own experience that battleships are op but it may take a while to get there and there still are inland cities unreachable for them so some sort of ground force will be required. By the time battleships can be built a favourable pangaea map can be already finished.

As an attachment I'll provide a not-so-conqueror-friendly continents map.

Green circles are oil on the continent

-4 near Antwerp on sea, not covered by city boundaries yet
-3 on my territory, had to use GG to get the tile
-7 in the middle of desert, no one has even a tile next to it
-4 on the sea (minimap) close to Byzantium but not inside borders

Purple circles are iron

-2 near Ohrid, worked
-2 near Xian, worked
-CS ally of mine has 6
-6 on a tiny island (minimap) on which I settled

**edit** There're also 2x2 iron on Vienna's 1st & 2nd ring but not visible in the picture **edit**

Not impossible but a bit tricky to build an invasion force with these but on pangaea this short supply could've been ignored.

This is not to say that Total Domination wouldn't work on pangaea, perhaps the one could be pangaea, but I also wanted to be true in some respect to the original challenge.

G

Attachments

• resourcesedit.jpg
    resourcesedit.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 733
imo this challenge shoul have mongols and huns excluded... they have huge advantage over other civs... Or just few civs allowed.. Babylon lets say for real challenge :p

I'm in. Are there any other civs that people want excluded other than huns/mongols? This should prove quite difficult, seeing as it's not clear yet what are the best domination strategies.

Alright i give it a try with China because i want to test these CKNs with the new combat mechanic. Also, i will ''obviously'' test if other civs aren't met yet from the other continent are pissed from 100% conquered AIs and maybe CS(i'm tempted to conquer Lhasa :)). Preparing a big assault around turn 105 with 16-18 CKNs against my neighbors.

Do i really need to conquer Lhasa?

It doesn't seem to be a bad game so far, but lack of happiness is pretty high here.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

As you can see Austria begins to marry some cs, putting this challenge even harder. 6 cs were on this continent, 1 friendly(Lhasa) and 5 hostiles and no mercantile at all :eek: This doesn't help for sure. Also, there is a big runaway AI on the other continent that killed a civ before turn 60 and making a big laugh at this game.

Religion? Not much success of course. With some luck, maybe i can eliminate a religious civ with pagodas enabled.

I will not continue this game because of all these points. Next time i will manually pick opponents, make sure to have some merc. cs around after initial scouting and maybe choose a religious civ if really needed.

Question : Do gatling guns can shoot 2 range(from 3 ranged CKNs as well) and keep double shot promo from CKNs?

It doesn't seem to be a bad game so far, but lack of happiness is pretty high here.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

As you can see Austria begins to marry some cs, putting this challenge even harder. 6 cs were on this continent, 1 friendly(Lhasa) and 5 hostiles and no mercantile at all :eek: This doesn't help for sure. Also, there is a big runaway AI on the other continent that killed a civ before turn 60 and making a big laugh at this game.

Religion? Not much success of course. With some luck, maybe i can eliminate a religious civ with pagodas enabled.

I will not continue this game because of all these points. Next time i will manually pick opponents, make sure to have some merc. cs around after initial scouting and maybe choose a religious civ if really needed.

Question : Do gatling guns can shoot 2 range(from 3 ranged CKNs as well) and keep double shot promo from CKNs?

Yes they do. They shoot 2 tiles if being upgraded. also nice try, Bit unlucky roll with Austria and Run-away...
Impressive CBs at start.
I'll start challenge game once i have my current deity epic game with Babylon Diplo/Domi V only finished.
Perhaps i'll try something like Archipelago/Large islands/Small continents with Danes.
Land-and-shoot ranged units pretty neat thing, we'll see

For this challenge you don't have to completely conquer all civs until the end right? So why not leave them each one city as you go, then clean them up at the very end (obviously before conquering the very last capital)?

For this challenge you don't have to completely conquer all civs until the end right? So why not leave them each one city as you go, then clean them up at the very end (obviously before conquering the very last capital)?

The point is to control every city in no particular order. VC is achieved when there are no AI controlled cities apart from CSs. Depending on the map it might be very beneficial to keep one or several civs alive until very late.

G

I wanted Maya's capital. I had to capture his 2nd city for this. I usually let one city. I killed Poly too, but at this point the diplo hit was already engaged. Was full friendly with Harald tho. Maria both DoWed him and me.

Ok started my game... shots later cause needed to run. Playing as Danes on small continents hi water vs most avle naval civs one warmonger and one carebear with walls (Mr.Nabby). I got interesting spot, Lone on small cont. with CS, had marble in capital and belined HG and Petra and built them. Has scarse Cb si Askia attacked with landing of 2 pikes and war and 3 triremes, next turn Liz declared with like 6 trims few warriors archer and pike, my cap was at red hp but now both invasions repelled with majority killed and no losses on my side. I am bit back in tech but have HG and petra in cap and.like 6 salts to trade. NC starts in few turns.

Trying with China again. This time i got everything on this map. Lot of luxuries. Look at these horses in my capital! :eek::goodjob:

+5 fpt thanks to a natural wonder, i have a chance for a religion later. This time i will only conquer Sweden's capital(DoF with Askia). Problem is there is only 2 traders. I'm gonna beeline Astro before Machinery this time.

Here is the initial starting save :

Attachments

• AutoSave_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    663.6 KB · Views: 63
Top Bottom