Tour de France 2011

Job done . Cadel Evans 2011 Tour de France champion !:goodjob:

I have literally watched tens of thousands of hours of sport in my life , and the last 2 weeks have been the most fun I've had since the Sydney Olympics .

I'm off to buy a bike in a few days , but first I gotta sleep for 2 straight days . Thanks for all the tactical info people and answering my newb questions

Job done . Cadel Evans 2011 Tour de France champion !:goodjob:

I have literally watched tens of thousands of hours of sport in my life , and the last 2 weeks have been the most fun I've had since the Sydney Olympics .

I'm off to buy a bike in a few days , but first I gotta sleep for 2 straight days . Thanks for all the tactical info people and answering my newb questions
Are you going to change your login to Cyclingfan ? :lol:

Well excecuted TdF from Cadel from day 1 on.

Don't they ride again tomorrow? Can't somebody overtake the leader? I'm completely ignorant of cycling here so forgive me.

Kudos to Cadel. It is well-deserved.

This was an extremely entertaining TdF. Grats to all the top finishers and the organizers for making it so interesting.

And sympathies to all those who got hurt and even eliminated from the Tour de Crash aspects.

Don't they ride again tomorrow? Can't somebody overtake the leader? I'm completely ignorant of cycling here so forgive me.

It is a matter of tradition that the leader on the next-to-the-last day is always the victor unless something really weird happens, like not showing up from over-celebrating, falling and breaking your leg, or being kidnapped by Bobke for a Road ID commercial.

Link to video.

Link to video.

Link to video.

The last stage is traditionally a non-stage except for the stage win. So no attacking early. However, it is not a rule just a silent agreement.

If the difference was really really small, let's say 1 or 2 seconds, I'd sort of expect this stage possibly turning into a regular stage where they'd really be trying to attack. But not this year, the time difference is too big.

Hats off to Evans for an amazing stage.
I do not agree with the concept of this silent agreement. Its a freaking race. No one should be cruising to the finish line, they should be sprinting until the last man crosses to win the biggest cycling event in the world.

I mean in a marathon run, does everyone just not try on the last mile and let whoever is ahead at mile 25 win?

I was busy and couldn't watch the TT, but looking at the results it looks like Evans was a beast. It's not like Andy Schleck made an horrendous TT. Compared with what his brother did maybe he should have done, say, 30'' less or so, which would have put him in the top 10 or thereabouts, and which is what he should have been aiming for at the beginning (maybe he also lost motivation if his entourage was telling him he was losing the Tour). But Evans did the TT of his life, only a handful of seconds from Tony Martin. With that kind of performance, there was no chance Andy Schleck was going to stay within 57'' imo.

Hats off to Evans for an amazing stage.
I do not agree with the concept of this silent agreement. Its a freaking race. No one should be cruising to the finish line, they should be sprinting until the last man crosses to win the biggest cycling event in the world.

I mean in a marathon run, does everyone just not try on the last mile and let whoever is ahead at mile 25 win?
If a Marathon was run in 20 stages, they might do that...

There will be plenty of battle in the last stage, but just not for the GC. There will be plenty of riders trying to break away, others chasing them, and so on. Usually it ends in a very exciting mass sprint, but every now and then, someones manages to hold off the peloton (like Vinokourov in 2005)

Sometimes there is also still a battle for the green jersey in the last stage.

I was busy and couldn't watch the TT, but looking at the results it looks like Evans was a beast. It's not like Andy Schleck made an horrendous TT. Compared with what his brother did maybe he should have done, say, 30'' less or so, which would have put him in the top 10 or thereabouts, and which is what he should have been aiming for at the beginning (maybe he also lost motivation if his entourage was telling him he was losing the Tour).
17th place in a time trial is simply not acceptable for someone who wants to win the tour the France. Apparently he also hadn't explored the (very tricky) track of the time trial before the tour, while Cadel had already done another time trial on the same track (I think in the Dauphiné Liberé race)

Or maybe he was still a bit tired from his attack with Contador from the day before?

alright, 2 laps to go on the Champs Elysées. back to the TV screen :)

So does Indurain Evans have a chance to repeat next year?

So does Indurain Evans have a chance to repeat next year?

IMHO, not really...

There's always a chance of course but Evans is already very old for a TdF winner (3 oldest in history, IIRC). And next year Contador will probably not race the Giro d'Italia, so he'll focus his season of the TdF, which probably means that he'll be able to lose Evans on the mountains like he did last year. And Contador is actually quite good at the TT, so he won't lose minutes like Schleck did...

With the TdF victory of Evans, I'm trying to think of major sporting events that remain un-won by Australians. The only things that come to mind are the soccer World Cup, the Men's 100m sprint at the Olympics, and the US Masters golf tournament.

Oh and the FIBA world championship, if it counts.

Any others?

With the TdF victory of Evans, I'm trying to think of major sporting events that remain un-won by Australians. The only things that come to mind are the soccer World Cup, the Men's 100m sprint at the Olympics, and the US Masters golf tournament.

Any others?

Nah , that's it . I've been pondering too

Any others?

IIHF World Championship :mischief:

Hah. Major sporting events.

Events where you can only participate if you have the right climate don't count. c:)

Edit: We've won at normal hockey though.

Hah. Major sporting events.

Events where you can only participate if you have the right climate don't count. c:)

Edit: We've won at normal hockey though.

You don't need the "right" climate to participate. :p

Australia, Israel, and South Africa all have teams that compete in the IIHF :p (they are just all terrible at it)

Top Bottom