TR02 - Losers move up to Emporer

On Republic vs. Monarch...is there really even a question? Republic has much better income, and WW shouldn't be a big problem if we plan our wars properly

depends where we're going. personally, I see communism in our future. Then again, I'm an idiot. Too early to lock into an strat.

Admiral Kutzov said:
depends where we're going. personally, I see communism in our future. Then again, I'm an idiot. Too early to lock into an strat.

Well, OK, but even if we do eventually go commie, I think I'd still rather be a republic until then. The couple of times I have tried the monarchy->communism path, I found that monarchy just didn't have the income to support any kind of decent research speed by the late MA. That may just be a commentary on my empire management skills, of course, but I still vote for republic.

lurker's comment:
Warfare in a Republican government unless your force is utterly overwhelming to your opponent forces a suspension of research (even if you are SirPleb), unless you have acquired every known luxury, and even that is iffy. So you need to pick your opponent, <switch to Elmer Fudd voice> very, very carefully.

republic->commie is indeed a better path..
But I sincerely hope we finish this game before IA if we play it right. (am i repeating myself here.... :hmm: )

there are some exeptions for hospitals (as well as there are some exceptions for temples

agree. Like those cities that can go over 100 spt. The discussion on rep v. mon. boils down to how much warring we're going to do. I.e. are we going to intitiate or receive? Too early to decide.

well, we are not going to play "Always war" game...
So Republic is a better government because of:

1. Less corruption.
2. Better income.

We do need extra luxuries indeed ... And that is how we are likely to choose our 1st opponent... We need to aquire more luxuries early in the game.
But lets see how it goes...
If it was up to me monarchy would be out of the question even before the game started :)

So Republic is a better government because of:

1. Less corruption.
2. Better income.

We do need extra luxuries indeed ... And that is how we are likely to choose our 1st opponent... We need to aquire more luxuries early in the game.

concur. Only reason to pick Monarchy is if we want to tie the AI up in war.

Apologies for all this discussion. I tend to get caught up in pushing the envelope and trying new things. Thus all the discussion, which I"ve enjoyed. Since we're only 20 turns into this, I'll now shut up for a bit...

@ d-man: if you want to boot me, feel free, I'll take no offense. I likes to discuss, thus the previous discussions.

@AdmiralK: Running away? That early???? :rolleyes:

Oh, come on.... discussion is what this team needs... And i absolutely don't mind to spam the thread...I can not boot you, i am not the captain of this team and if i was i would personally ask you to stick together for the duration of this game.
Please keep going the way you started, it actually helps me come up with better arguments on the stuff i am trying to push. :)

Really, it's just a matter of personal playing style. lets learn from each other.

I'm here, just had to sleep last night. I got to the MA in GOTM40 since I had no SG's to play. I just got to work. I'm still reading through the posts. I'll comment in a minute or 3.

BTW, A-K I was about 55-45 on the decision to move north. I realized that the same tiles would be exposed by just settling and I really hate moving the first settler. So I sort of agreed with your decision.

More comments later. :coffee:

OK. I've finally finished the novel authored by dman and A-K ;)

Here are my thoughts
  • I'd go republic, just because of the forementioned corruption. Happiness (WW) can be compensated for.
  • Agree moving the red dot city location to the jungle for the free chop
  • I need more coffee
  • :coffee:
  • I think that we need to expand borders quicker and settle on hill 1 SE or NE of sugar in the north after the pink dot
  • I like when people dissent (occassionally) from the teams decision, but please follow A-K sterling example and explain yourself. Good job A-K!
  • @ A-K, don't be afraid to talk too much as I need the esplainin'
  • Pictures with turns are very good. Please everyone continue
  • I like horses because of the movement. Legions would be fun too. We can decide on this a little later

Ok roster:
Admiral Kutzov just played
eldar up
dmanon deck
Mach
Tubby Rower
Minute Man

Yep, I agree with Republic, especially as we're Commercial. I expect our economy won't be too much of a worry.

I didn't see anything in the dotmaps I disagree with, but then, I wasn't studying them too hard. Getting a coastal city first up is the best idea, we ought to get a Curragh out of it right away. Guess that'll be my job :)

Looks like flat terrain so far, so Horses will indeed be effective enough. Save the Legions for later (park a stack on a mountain as enemy-bait, get our GA kicked off with a defensive win!)

I still think we should go after China, they appeared from the East (appropriately enough) so we should concentrate expansion in that direction.

A-K said:
Still here, where's the rest of the team?
dmanakho said:
@team: please throw your thoughts into the thread... lurkers are also welcome.
A note on my silence, before the last two posts. I get off of work @ 3:30 EST. Since I have dial-up at home, after that I usually don't check the forums at home unless I know something important is going on. I'm lucky and am able to peruse the forums at work and able to amply comment between 7-3:30. After that my comments will be sparse and limited to 57.6 kbs.

eldar said:
I still think we should go after China, they appeared from the East (appropriately enough) so we should concentrate expansion in that direction.
Is the reason for your hatred of the Chinese the riders? If so I agree they either need to be squashed earlier than chivalry or allied with.

Tubby Rower said:
Is the reason for your hatred of the Chinese the riders? If so I agree they either need to be squashed earlier than chivalry or allied with.

Too early to say...
We need to know map, we need to know locations of resources and luxuries...
Too early to say...

...and a little more action :)

Save for a new city, the next 10 turns were predictably uneventful - though I had to stay my itchy trigger finger for a couple of turns!

0 3000 Check trades, nothing around, but note Egypt already have a 2nd city, China don't - Beijing in a low-growth or low-shield area, perhaps? Or maybe a good target area at a distance. I'm going with dman's dottie; don't like our 2nd city to be too far from home.

1 2950 IT: Rome Settler->Barracks.

2 2900 Wally spots some greenish borders to the East!

3 2850 Ooh, no, they're yellow, probably Egypt then.

4 2800 Zzzzz.

5 2750 Yeah, it's Egypt. Forget what I might've said about flat terrain. Wally's up in the bloomin' Himalayas! IT: Cleo asks politely for us to move, but it's not a boot yet.

6 2710 Veii founded, starts Worker, working the Wheat. Wake Beaver and move him towards Veii for MP when it grows. Thebes is still defended by a Warrior… but nah, I'm not going to mess with the game like that just yet.

7 2670 If this were a solo game, I'd give it a go. Really. Oh how I wish Wally were an Archer not a Warrior! IT: Cleo boots Wally.

8 2630 IT: Rome Barracks->Archer; Egypt learns Wheel.

9 2590 Egypt want almost our entire economy, plus Alphabet, for The Wheel. No dice, Cleo. Realise Sci can come down to 10%, probably been possible since Rome was size 3… ah well.

10 2550 Wheel is still stupidly expensive. Rome has Archer in 3, can squeeze in another Warrior before the next Settler.

A little piccie:

Neil. :cool:

So now we have 30 turns for writing @ minimum. That's not too good to switch it to max now. Let's finish it out on min.

Now that cleo has the wheel she'll get some war chariots out you could bet. They are the same attack/defense as horses only cheaper (20 shields instead of 30). Luckily the Himalyas will slow her down if you get in a tussle.

Is that a goodie hut 2 NW of Veii? Should we send a warrior up there? We should really irrigate that wheat soon. Next city should be by dyes.

Is that correct A-K & dman?

eldar just played
Dman up
Mach on deck

Yep, that's a GH up near Veii. And I'd rather have cash in the bank than Writing sooner, when we have a monopoly on Alphabet from the start.

What I'd like is more contacts - get the Archer from Rome going North/West.

Neil. :cool:

I have it...
I am up in SGOTM6 tonight and since that one requires most possible attention i will probably play our game tomorrow if it is okay. ;)
But I will comment before i play later today... have to look at the save...

Oh come on.... you have 3 members on team Bede in this SG and I don't think that any of us will mind if you hurry through SGOTM6 turns to get to this one ;)

Top Bottom