Tragic Dilemmas - BE vs EU4 addon

Krajzen

Deity
Yeah. So Beyond Earth is released next week. It's brilliant although there is also incoming super - awesome Europa Universalis IV: Art of War expansion, which everyone expected to come in December and suddenly it has release date in 30 October :p

To further complicate things, Endless Legends has just been released and it is next top - tier super - awesome strategy game + I have few more games to play so...

Damn. It seems after a first week of free BE rampage I will have to make very difficult choices :p And I am studying!

Anyone having similar problems?

It sure beats the alternative!

And don't fret it. These games are played for months and years ... plenty of time to enjoy them all ;)

Welp, BE will be awful, just a knock-off with the Civ5 engine that'll only be mentioned in the same breath as the Civ4 Colonization remake by this time next year. Art of War will be horribly buggy until at least three major patches get pushed out, the religious coalition system will be unbalanced and result in a consistent steamroller by one side (whichever one you're not playing), and I give it 50:50 odds that the 30YW event chains will be broken and fail to function half the time due to abstruse trigger functions that half of the player base and the AI can't manage. And since it's already out and you like it, Endless Legends will have a patch pushed in the next few days that completely breaks the game balance in a manner not in your favour, making things ridiculously difficult. Just for good measure, Steam will also crash and your power supply will short out in a way that zaps your motherboard. Choices solved.

...Alright, that was purely tongue-in-cheek, but doesn't it make you feel better about the actual situation? :p

Welp, BE will be awful, just a knock-off with the Civ5 engine that'll only be mentioned in the same breath as the Civ4 Colonization remake by this time next year. Art of War will be horribly buggy until at least three major patches get pushed out, the religious coalition system will be unbalanced and result in a consistent steamroller by one side (whichever one you're not playing), and I give it 50:50 odds that the 30YW event chains will be broken and fail to function half the time due to abstruse trigger functions that half of the player base and the AI can't manage. And since it's already out and you like it, Endless Legends will have a patch pushed in the next few days that completely breaks the game balance in a manner not in your favour, making things ridiculously difficult. Just for good measure, Steam will also crash and your power supply will short out in a way that zaps your motherboard. Choices solved.

...Alright, that was purely tongue-in-cheek, but doesn't it make you feel better about the actual situation? :p

Yes, I am fine now.

Krajzen,

How come you have a dilemma and not trilemma?;)
You mentioned just on a side note “well and I have to study too”. I do not want to sound like your father :D but I would suggest you to concentrate your head on that “game”. It is much more important and worth for your life, trust me.

As of dilemma and if I can imagine myself studied again :crazyeye: and than find time to play one of two mentioned games, I would pick CivBE, no doubt.

Reason: Many years ago I played game that I liked a lot CK. I could not wait for CK2 that finally was realised. First impression was great. And than they start to change the game, and to change it and to change and… it is not CK any more but some game about pagans Aztecs, Hindus and other bs. It might be a good game about something else or for somebody else but it is not for me anymore. So I do not want to spend any moment any more to get stressed about something I would not like not EU4 either or anything from PI at all. I am not sure if it is forever though, because…

..Something similar happened to me after CivIII and big disappointment for CivIV that looked good somewhat at the beginning and then worst and worst, to unplayable for me. I stepped back from any future iteration of civ or anything Firaxis. I did not buy CiV, even though my friends and cousins (who all were hooked on the serial by me, btw) tried to explain me that the game is way better than IV and that I should try it, my trust was ruined so I was refusing, until one afternoon I got nothing to do (I finished my studies long time ago) so I decided to give it a try (it was just before G&K expansion announcement, or so) and fast forward 2500+ hours of play latter I am so impatient about BE that any other game cannot be competition to it.

However, it is all about you, and what you like.
And I will take a question more rhetorical with small dose of flame who makes better game swedes or americans :lol: .

And I am pretty sure you’re choosing option C: Studies ;)

I was worried for awhile that the GTA V PC release might clash with Beyond Earth, but that fear didn't eventuate. BE will have my undivided PC attention until Hitman 6 drops sometime in 2015.

I always am skeptical whenever someone mentions the common lines like "they will try and release a game before Xmas, for the sales!" You know, the whole trying to predict or analyze a companies decisions.

But it does make you wonder. Endless Legend was pushed out of early access and EU:4 rolling out another DLC... the Civ franchise has a lot of control over the already-too-small strategy game market. They probably realize their imminent doom :D

I suppose it boils down to choosing whether you want to enjoy bad sci-fi AI, or bad historical AI.

*rimshot* :p

But if this really is a dilemma for you, Krajzen, then you're on the wrong side of town, mate. :trouble:

Art of War of course. At least Paradox knows how to fix most of their game flaws and in constant contact with the community.

Art of War of course. At least Paradox knows how to fix most of their game flaws and in constant contact with the community.

>.>
<.<

Every Civ:BE thread I've been on I've seen you promoting EU4:AoW, a shill you may be?

On the semi-related note of the OP, the game engine's the same on BE, so most of the flaws of the AI of CiV are going to be there, but other than that I would assume if you like CiV take it and run. And as for me, personally, BE is at the end of a pay cycle, and EU4 the beginning, so it works perfect for spending way too much money on one genre. But I'm taking a day off of work for BE, EU4 I'll get to when I get bored, or maybe it'll just get dusty on the "steam shelf" and I'll go back to CiV.
Moderator Action: Name calling is not permitted on this site.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

"Tragic Dilemmas." Gotta love First World problems. :)

Play BE, since civ achievements are more reasonable.

I got all achievements of civ 5 but only have 65/80 in EU4. WC as Ryukyu? Well, I'm not DDRJake. :p

yeah, you obviously are confused as to what your own statement means.

AoW will be broken from day 1, require a hotfix to implement functionality that didn't exist when they sold it (this has happened recently) and will break the game for those that didn't buy the DLC (also has happened consistently).

They also, thanks to Johan, have made their position on the community quite obvious. Or are you ignoring Johan's tirade against the community and how he belittled it?

So while people may come and BS about BE being 'just a reskin', at least it'll work. It'll have issues, but that's what happens these days apparently. "Just a reskin" is stated by those who have no clue and didn't bother to look at what has been built. It isn't 'SMAC/X' ported to a new engine, so therefore it's got to be bad.

Unlike the Paradox dev (aside from Wiz when he's allowed by Johan), the Firaxis Dev *do* listen to the community (proof is recent with changes suggested by the community in the last few months that got added before launch!), they *do* fix the game post-launch (Paradox does one hotfix for their DLC, regardless of if the rest is broken - while Firaxis patches over and over again and adds functionality and doesn't break the game when adding new DLC for those who didn't buy it), and they *do* aim to make a good game with reasonable gameplay rules that fit the context.

edit:

To everyone else, this isn't a statement on AoW vs. BE.

AoW looks like it might add some nice things (map and a few other changes) but it's still too early to see how screwed up they'll make the game before a hotfix is added. Proceed carefully in all cases.

I'll inevitably have both, so it's not like I'm saying it's one over the other.

MadDjinn

I agree with your post in almost every respect. I too will purchase both, AoW in good time though for the reasons you stated.

However, I am not so sure about your comments about Johan and his tirade against the community. He made a post quite some time ago that revealed that the development team test the game through their internal MP sessions. This statement caused quite a few folks to lose all rationality and, for some, they still have not managed to regain it.

The community's reaction to a new DLC is also predictable and frankly shocking. Personally, I think it would be best if Johan didn't post at all or at least not in reaction to the outright abuse thrown in his direction. He makes himself an easy and a vulnerable target and I'm sure folks are looking to bait him to make an even more egregious tirade next time around. At least I will settle down with a bucket of popcorn to watch the forum fireworks when AoW is released.

yeah, you obviously are confused as to what your own statement means.

AoW will be broken from day 1, require a hotfix to implement functionality that didn't exist when they sold it (this has happened recently) and will break the game for those that didn't buy the DLC (also has happened consistently).

They also, thanks to Johan, have made their position on the community quite obvious. Or are you ignoring Johan's tirade against the community and how he belittled it?

So while people may come and BS about BE being 'just a reskin', at least it'll work. It'll have issues, but that's what happens these days apparently. "Just a reskin" is stated by those who have no clue and didn't bother to look at what has been built. It isn't 'SMAC/X' ported to a new engine, so therefore it's got to be bad.

Unlike the Paradox dev (aside from Wiz when he's allowed by Johan), the Firaxis Dev *do* listen to the community (proof is recent with changes suggested by the community in the last few months that got added before launch!), they *do* fix the game post-launch (Paradox does one hotfix for their DLC, regardless of if the rest is broken - while Firaxis patches over and over again and adds functionality and doesn't break the game when adding new DLC for those who didn't buy it), and they *do* aim to make a good game with reasonable gameplay rules that fit the context.

edit:

To everyone else, this isn't a statement on AoW vs. BE.

AoW looks like it might add some nice things (map and a few other changes) but it's still too early to see how screwed up they'll make the game before a hotfix is added. Proceed carefully in all cases.

I'll inevitably have both, so it's not like I'm saying it's one over the other.

Seems like a solid discussion to me. You raise points which make sense.....I'm sure the other side will articulate a very well thought rebuttle.

Top Bottom