• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Translation into other Languages

May I offer an alternative?
Since you have already gone into a lot of work making this and have also wisely chosen to use GitHub as a means of maintaining it, why not ask @Gazebo to be added as collaborators to the official repo and simply create new branches from the 'master'?
Each branch could be dedicated to a separate language and when you are suffuciently happy with the status you could push a merge of those files to the master.
You could also do this without being collaborators but I'm a bit rusty on pushing commits from separate forked repo to the original.

Just an idea.

Of course, we could just fork the orignial repo und send pull requests with the folders for different languages.

In theory, it should be no problem to add this folder structure to the main repo.

The only problem I see: At the moment the translating stuff happnes post-release. So everytime a new version gets released, the Makefile should not include all other languages, because the translation is not finished.

So how should the new languages be delivered? This solution here works fine, but you have to move the folders yourself.
It would be convenient to have the other languages in the main download file. Maybe everytime a new language is finished for a version, add it to the Makefile for building?

Of course, we could just fork the orignial repo und send pull requests with the folders for different languages.

In theory, it should be no problem to add this folder structure to the main repo.

The only problem I see: At the moment the translating stuff happnes post-release. So everytime a new version gets released, the Makefile should not include all other languages, because the translation is not finished.

So how should the new languages be delivered? This solution here works fine, but you have to move the folders yourself.
It would be convenient to have the other languages in the main download file. Maybe everytime a new language is finished for a version, add it to the Makefile for building?

I see nothing wrong with having dummy files that contain the exact same English text and they ALL can be properly referred to in the project. Simply replace the text as each translator gets time to. That way they need not worry about the structure of the build, ONLY the actual text.

Thank you guys for the input. I now have a better understanding of how updates could be achieved. I am going to keep the Framework and the Language Pack separated, so all guys that want to create a translation have their repository and all guys that only want to play the game in a different language, have another one. This is why I changed the name of the repository on GitHub and added another one, so it will reflect the Framework and the Language Pack. The links of my Post 86 will not lead to the repositories on GitHub.

G released a new version, so we can test how the update procedure will work. I am going to change the Framework and the Language Pack in the next few days. All guys that have already created a translation can then read those changes by looking at the commits of the Framework and add them to their translation. So in my opinion it will be a lot easier to track changes and keep translations up-to-date, because I will only update the Framework and the German language of the Language Pack. All other languages must be updated by their author.

I would like to add my opinion to the request for merging the Language Pack with the Vox Populi master. I don't think that this is a good idea. As Triarier has already noted, there is a lack of time for the authors of translations. Furthermore there was a reason for separating the Framework and the Language Pack from Vox Populi and keep it as modular as possible. In the past, I added my translations directly to Vox Populi. If I made a mistake in one of my files, something changes accidentally, or something was going on, it was really difficult to isolate the problem. In the last version of the Framework and the Language Pack for instance, I made a mistake in the modinfo file, that prevented the user from loading a save file. The game thought that the mods of the user would not fulfill the requirements for loading it. If something like this would happen to the official release, this would be really annoying.

So lets keep things separated and leave the decision to the user if he wants or if he needs the Translation Pack.

Update

Created two branches. One for the Framework and one for the Language Pack. 1.7.27 is is ready to be merged.

how far is the translation progressed? i'm expecially curious about the german translation :D

Hi guys, this is maybe a bit too late, but for all of you playing the game in German I have a Christmas gift for you. I updated the Language Pack and the Framework to the latest version of Vox Populi. I added a lot of text to the translation. Even if the translation is not yet complete, there is so much new content for your native language. Feel free to try it out, now!
Just click at the link in my signature.

I wanted to share my overview file of the progress of my Vox Populi translation. As you can see, some modules are already translated and some need more work. Even if some parts are not yet translated, you can still play the game in German. Feel free to visit the repository at github for a feedback or for any issues.
Translation Status.pdf

Hello, I have translated most of CIV5 into Croatian, but I don't know how to set the Croatian symbols to be displayed inside the game. Letters čćšđž please help

Top Bottom