Translation issues.

Lone Wolf

Deity
On the Russian civfanatics forum, there are some arguments on how to translate the religion of "The Order". Is it "Order" as in "Law and Order", as in "Order of Knights Templar", or as in "Obey my orders"?

Or is the polysemanticism of the word the whole point of it?

Oh, and is Kilmorth feminine? I was under impression that she is, considerng that quote from Luchuirp civilopedia text:

Though weakened by the dominance of Mulcarn, Kilmorph still managed to hold a warding hand over this little tribe of surface-dwelling Dwarves. She came to the leader, the now-legendary Graoin the Delver, and taught him the things his people had forgotten: how to dig, how to build homes under the mountain.

And how the name of the god of deception is pronounced: "Esus" or "Eshush"? ("sh" like in "shock").

And is the "e" in "Tasunke" readable? Is he "Ta-sun-ke" or "Ta-sunk"?

On the Russian civfanatics forum, there are some arguments on how to translate the religion of "The Order". Is it "Order" as in "Law and Order", as in "Order of Knights Templar", or as in "Obey my orders"?

Or is the polysemanticism of the word the whole point of it?

Yes, the point is that it fits for each meaning. If I had to go for one I would probably lean towards the "Law and Order" definition.

Oh, and is Kilmorth feminine? I was under impression that she is, considerng that quote from Luchuirp civilopedia text:

Yes, shes female.

And how the name of the god of deception is pronounced: "Esus" or "Eshush"? ("sh" like in "shock").

And is the "e" in "Tasunke" readable? Is he "Ta-sun-ke" or "Ta-sunk"?

Pronunciation is hard, especially since I didnt make up most of these words. I can tell you how I pronounce them, but Im not the definitive source. I pronounce Esus, Ay-sus. I pronounce Tasunke, "Ta-soon-key".

When translating some things to Russian, they start sound funny. For example, "kura" means "hen" in Russian, so the Kuriotates are now Children of the Golden Hen.

Funny, I'd have expected Greek and Russian to have a reasonable deal in common linguistically due to their shared Orthodox history despite being different language families. I guess "dominations" is an exception to that :lol:

Oh, and considering that the name "Herne" without the "ne" in Russian means a certain human body part... The Kurios are really getting shafted.

And I heard that some people refer to Donal Lugh as Donald Duck.

Pronunciation is hard, especially since I didnt make up most of these words. I can tell you how I pronounce them, but Im not the definitive source.

That's interesting: so where did you find (most of) these words?:confused:

A lot of them are from various mythologies.. For example, Lugus (Lugh), Cernunnos, Esus, Sucellus, and Sirona are all Celtic deities. Amathaon is the Welsh version of Cernunnos, and Ogma and Nemed are Irish. Likely to be more, this is just from a quick glance. Only recognized Lugh off the top of my head, and that's only from the 'Dies the Fire' series of books... Amazing series. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_pantheon

Most are from celtic mythology. There are also a lot of names from old Judeo-christian mythology (civ names and angel names).

Top Bottom