1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Troubleshooting and F.A.Q.

Discussion in '[MAC+WIN] Civ4 - History Rewritten' started by Xyth, Jul 15, 2011.

1. thinkingnut

thinkingnut Warlord

Well, the crash only happens if I try opening a game at Chieftain level. Haven't tried the game with random map or scenario.

2. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

By 'opening a game' do you mean loading a saved game? If the mod works fine starting a new game, that implies your saved game is corrupt or from an outdated version of HR.

3. thinkingnut

thinkingnut Warlord

Ah, I mean starting a brand new game. This means the game crashes if I go through the usual "Play Now" process or tweak the settings through "Custom Game". No matter the path, as long as the difficulty is Chieftain, the game will crash 100% when I click "Launch".

4. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

The crash report indicates it's something to do with the free techs the AI gets by difficulty level (none on Chieftain, obviously). I can't replicate this crash though, so I'm really not sure what's going on. At this stage all I can suggest is deleting, re-downloading, and reinstalling (don't forget the patches from the first post of this thread).

If that doesn't work, I'll have to research what else to try.

5. thinkingnut

thinkingnut Warlord

Will try re-installing now. Thanks for the tip.

6. OscarWildebeest

OscarWildebeest Prince

This game is crashing at this point every time; can't think what it can be. Save attached. Hope this sort of thing is helpful, and not just moaning.

Attached Files:

7. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Always helpful, though please post the crash report as well. I'm unable to replicate the issue with the saved game, so I'll need the crash report before I can investigate any further.

8. cel10

cel10 Chieftain

First time posting, long time lurking. Anyway, this is a new and frankly hilarious one for me.
    ETA: Seems to be just the ironclad that does it, I've seen it several times now.

Attached Files:

9. OscarWildebeest

OscarWildebeest Prince

Here's the crash report, Xyth, thanks.

Attached Files:

10. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

I've had a few reports of this before, always the Ironclad. I can't replicate it at all, and I'm utterly stumped as to why it's happening. Do you see the correct Ironclad art sometimes too, or only ever this crazy version?

That's the tribal island crash. There's a fix available in the first post of this thread.

11. cel10

cel10 Chieftain

Sometimes the correct art too. I've only seen it on the Chinese ironclad (IDR if it's civ-specific art; I haven't paid that much attention) and only in two specific cases: at least twice on that particular tile with the ship facing that particular direction, and once when there were two of them up near Japan (didn't think about screencapping it) and one was in this same orientation and I can't remember the other one. FWIW it's consistent at all zoom levels, too, it doesn't snap back to the correct art until the ship moves.

12. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

All civs use the same Ironclad model. The orientation and the fact that it snaps back to the correct art is interesting, implies it might be an animation issue. Though I still can't force it to happen. I'll try replacing animation files for 1.22, see if that makes a difference.

13. OscarWildebeest

OscarWildebeest Prince

Got it, thanks very much. Will let you know how it goes, but should be ok.

14. cel10

cel10 Chieftain

Weird - it just happened again, this time with six different ships in six different locations and orientations. I'll attach screenshots and the save. Of note: this time some of the ships displayed correctly at first, but then when I moved the camera toward them it snapped to the larger-than-life version. It seems like the orientation theory is out.

Attached Files:

15. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

What seems to be happening is that for some bizarre unknown reason the Ironclad is switching to the Ship of the Line model occasionally. The excessive size is due to the SotL still using the defined scale for the Ironclad. I'm mystified.

16. platyping

platyping Sleeping Dragon

Probably due to frozen animations.

17. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Ooh yes. Check that you have got Frozen Animations set. It's incompatible with custom unit art. Though with that set you should also be seeing glitches when units fortify.

18. cel10

cel10 Chieftain

Ah, makes sense, thanks. Still interesting that it only happened to the ironclad, and only the Chinese ones (although China may also have been the only sufficiently advanced civ in the game) - never my own.

19. cel10

cel10 Chieftain

I take that back, it is happening to my own ships as well. I'm going ahead and fixing it for my game but if there's any other relevant data I can provide I'd be happy to mess with it some more.

20. Lark

Lark Warlord

Is there a Quickload fix - some way to make it return to interpreting F8 & <Shift+F8> differently?