Troubleshooting and F.A.Q.

What you're seeing in regards to tech costs isn't an AI bonus, it's actually an increase to your tech costs caused by difficulty level. This occurs in unmodded BTS as well, but it is set a bit higher in HR. For example, on BTS monarch it's +15%, on HR Monarch it's +25%.

HR is balanced at Noble, and scaled up and down from there. I know that many other mods use Monarch or thereabouts as their balance point, so difficulty levels in HR will generally be harder than the equivalent in other mods. As I say, I haven't reviewed this for a while, so I'm definitely not claiming to have it just right at each level.

I haven't checked the production rates yet, but the research rate of the AI opponents is clearly not Marathon but on the Saga level, which means we are playing different games... I am absolutely okay with the fact that Ai always had slight advantage on this field but this one is just absurd.

It's definitely not a case of the AI running on a different game speed to you because that is simply impossible to code.

That's the Egypt opponent which recently lost it's capital with 3 wonders(one is gold generating religious wonder) and 3 other citites 2 of which were the most developed cities in his whole empire. Now , on the screenshots you can see his gold production and his actual empire which is reduced to the level of bunch of villages with high upkeep cost due to distance(well, if this apply to the AI at all ... because I started to question if this mechanics works with the AI in this mod).

I haven't had a chance to look at your saved game yet, so it's hard to judge without seeing how improved each city is. The AI is affected by distance maintenance (it actually pays a bit more than the player!), but I'm not sure why you feel it should be a significant factor for the Egyptians here. In that picture, they don't seem to have any cities that are significantly distant enough to warrant particularly high maintenance on that mapsize. Ramesses is also running Proclamation so they'll be getting a 25% discount on maintenance for number of cities. Finally, he's Creative and Industrious, so each of his cities will be getting some extra commerce and production from their culture level, regardless of their size or distance. The Egyptians are one of the strongest civilizations in the ancient era, as their traits and unique buildings and such synergize very well.

I'll comment further once I've looked at your saved game. It's not my intention for the AI to have any drastic hidden advantages except for those that are already present in BTS. I'll see what I can find out.

Sometimes I start to feel that AI doesn't get affected by the overxpansion penalties from city maintananse - half continent empires at 600 BC is competing but feels wrong(maybe you want to implement some kind of limitations like in c2c ? If I recall correctly there are happines penalties for overexpansion)

Cities do grow faster than I think is ideal in HR, which in turn leads to easier production of Settlers. I'm looking into ways of toning this down a bit.

P.S. I hope you don't take any of this as the critics or diminishing the coolness of the mod , I jsut like to play my game knowing HOW is the enemy playing. I hope you take a look on this arguments and take a note, because I feel like it is an importan issue.

Detailed feedback like this can only help improve the mod, so no worries.

Long post again, I'm sorry =)
I usualy like to measure power in my games and to know where my enemies power comes from . So when I play (let's take PAE as example since I spent most of the time there) my game and I see that I'm falling behind in gold I know why this is happening : 1) enemy has better resources(gold etc.); 2) enemy has highly developed and populated citites with alot of income ; 3) good trade system(both tech trade and trade routes) due to one religous group of few civilizations. 4) also there might be a huge GP factor but we can relate that to city development.
Why I started to dig under the AI sources of income is because I simply don't see any valid reason for that - no buildings that make difference available yet (only "kiln" which is not the case since I have that in all of my cities, maybe for exeption of just captured cities) ,also there's no trade power could be generated since trade routes give low income at this stage of the game.
I tolerate the AI tech cost reduction since that's AI , but when I saw taht ALL of the enemies research basicly 3-4 times faster than I do , without actualy giving me a chance to change that( since, remember, no economic/research buildings yet available for anyone). And then I check my enemies and see less developed empires than mine but still sitting on the pile of gold. And the same tech costs for the AI as the previous game speed has also surprised me. But to be fair HR has alot more of the speed settings so there is not so big difference in them and I can tolerate that. And yet I'm still eager to understand how the AI generate gold. Here's another uninteresting screeenshots section :D :
Here's the most Developed AI (yet he had the most pathetic empire untill now)
Spoiler :

His income almost 2x mine
Spoiler :

And now back to my silly undeveloped empire which has 2 religios wonders(that's +25 gold income in total)
Spoiler :

No , there's no free units exceed or any untis in the enemy territory .
And to compare that here's glorious Egypt empire ( which were razed to the ground since AI prefers to lose all his major cities than simply giving any tech for peace)
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

That's right his 3 citites generate more income than my whole empire with free +25 gold from wonders. ( ocne again no buildings that make difference yet available, altho he can build libraries already but I razed the citites with them)
This is the stuff that made me to write all this mass of text, I simply don't like the fact that there's nothing you can posibly do to compensate this enermous AI pile of gold.
Yes, I will develop the cottages to towns and build some economical buidings when I have a chance to, and all other sort of things to make my economy competitive enough . But the fact that I am unable to do a goddamn thing at this stage of the game kind of frustrated me.
Here's some savegame just to make sure I didn't made some random screenshots https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Ug-yCzdPLsTEU1WjUyYlhHMDg/edit?usp=sharing ( I know... nobody got time for that, but let it be here)
P.S. Yet I am absolutly enjoying this Zulu game since it was truly Expansive/Aggressive Shaka gameplay that you forced me into.
P.S.2. Here's some minor bugs(since I'm already here why not ) :
Spoiler :

Olympic games in the Vodoo city, probably just a placeholder?
Spoiler :

Minor texture bug for Thai horseman(If I recall correctly)

According to the Finance advisor, you aren't getting the +25:gold: from your Shrines. It's listed under Income, but it's not being added to your total income, neither in the advisor nor the game itself. Definitely a bug, investigating.

I've had a look through the Zulu, Egyptian and Phoenicians incomes. Other than the shrines, everything adds up as expected. Compared to your 133:commerce:, the Egyptians have 55:commerce:. Their Creative trait is providing 9 of that, the Gems in their capital another 10 (+50% via Monarchy civic). Combined with low maintenance costs (small population) in all their cities except for remote Abju, this is how they're managing to do okay financially despite your conquests.

I haven't examined the Phoenicians' costs thoroughly yet, but nothing obviously wrong at first glance. I think the Shrine bug explains everything.

Olympic games in the Vodoo city, probably just a placeholder?

What's the problem here?

Minor texture bug for Thai horseman(If I recall correctly)

It's displaying correctly for me in both the pedia and the game, but I'll look at the texture files and see if there's anything noticeable. Often such quirks only occur on certain graphics architecture. Horse textures are usually fairly interchangeable, so I if I can't find anything odd I can just swap it for another.

Oh, wow. That's some really dissapointing news for our chef Shaka, someone might get executed today :egypt: I don't find any problem with the olympian games in my voodoo city but I though it should be at least named somehow different.
Also, I know why I was so surprised about the AI tech research speed. Since in c2c/RI +25% to palyers tech cost occurs on the Diety/Immortal difficulty (If I remember correctly), probably that's why I was confused so much. You really like your AI being sophisticated :king:
About the horses - they are unicorn riders in my game aswell and only for this faction, haven't saw anything similar on any other unit.
Also , thanks for checking my game . I know it is not much of a fun to spend time examining some random savegame.

Hallo,

I m having two issues with HR.

First is a Bug-Report (every turn), that autolog.ini can not be changed. I was searching the autolog.ini, but i could not find them at the mentioned path.

The other problem occurs, if I try to play with more than 18 factions. I have downloaded the Dll for 40 factions and placed it into the Assets Folder of HR. HR starts, but when launching a New map (Earth huge) it crashes to desktop.

Hope You can help me!?

My System is windows 8 (mac with bootcamp).

First is a Bug-Report (every turn), that autolog.ini can not be changed. I was searching the autolog.ini, but i could not find them at the mentioned path.

Sounds like a problem with permissions. Try running BTS as administrator and see if that clears it up. If not, enable error logging (in CivilizationIV.ini) and post your Logs/PythonErr.log. That may provide more clues. You can also switch off autologging and check it's output path in BUG preferences (the green insect button in the top left of the main screen).

The other problem occurs, if I try to play with more than 18 factions. I have downloaded the Dll for 40 factions and placed it into the Assets Folder of HR. HR starts, but when launching a New map (Earth huge) it crashes to desktop.

Is it generating a crash report? If so please post that. There is a bug that causes a crash on map generation that I have thus far been unable to solve, but it's pretty rare. If it's crashing for you every time it's probably something else. It definitely works without the 40-civ DLL present?

Sounds like a problem with permissions. Try running BTS as administrator and see if that clears it up. If not, enable error logging (in CivilizationIV.ini) and post your Logs/PythonErr.log. That may provide more clues. You can also switch off autologging and check it's output path in BUG preferences (the green insect button in the top left of the main screen).

Thx!! Running as admin has solved the Problem.

Is it generating a crash report? If so please post that. There is a bug that causes a crash on map generation that I have thus far been unable to solve, but it's pretty rare. If it's crashing for you every time it's probably something else. It definitely works without the 40-civ DLL present?

No crash report. It just shuts to Desktop and says that BtS is not working correctly.

I have only copied the .dll-file in the assets folder. I haven't copied any other files or changed any options or config-files. Have I?

Hi, Xyth. I'm finding that my current game hangs after I hit 'end turn' - getting stuck on 'Waiting for other civilizations'. I don't see any Wonders that I'm about to build which might trigger this, so I wonder what could be causing it? Using v1.21.1. Game doesn't crash, just hangs, so no crash report; but a save is attached. Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Gustav Adolf AD-1748.CivBeyondSwordSave
    515.6 KB · Views: 184
Hi, Xyth. I'm finding that my current game hangs after I hit 'end turn' - getting stuck on 'Waiting for other civilizations'. I don't see any Wonders that I'm about to build which might trigger this, so I wonder what could be causing it? Using v1.21.1. Game doesn't crash, just hangs, so no crash report; but a save is attached. Many thanks in advance.

That is caused by a bug in BTS that I cannot fix. However, I've implemented a 'brute force' method that should hopefully let you continue your game. When it happens, hit 'CTRL-C' (might be 'CMD-C' on OS X, depending on your settings). There should be a debug message and hopefully you'll get your turn back after a little while.

That is caused by a bug in BTS that I cannot fix. However, I've implemented a 'brute force' method that should hopefully let you continue your game. When it happens, hit 'CTRL-C' (might be 'CMD-C' on OS X, depending on your settings). There should be a debug message and hopefully you'll get your turn back after a little while.

Brilliant, I'll try it, thank you. [EDIT: Yes, it worked! :) ]

[UPDATE: That worked just fine, until several turns later I got a 'fatal error' and the entire application froze. Screenshot attached.]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 13.00.40.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 13.00.40.png
    222.3 KB · Views: 185
[UPDATE: That worked just fine, until several turns later I got a 'fatal error' and the entire application froze. Screenshot attached.]

Got a MAF on my current game as well. Is more RAM the only solution?

There is no solution to MAFs, they're an inevitable part of playing modded BTS. The larger the map and/or number of civs, the more common they are. All you can do is relaunch, reload, and resume.

There is no solution to MAFs, they're an inevitable part of playing modded BTS. The larger the map and/or number of civs, the more common they are. All you can do is relaunch, reload, and resume.

Fair enough. Anyway, relaunch and reload did the trick.

Hi there,

Whenever I try to start a game on the History Rewritten Mod, the game crashes. The game has worked fine for months, and after not having played it for a while, it doesn't work now.

I've tried extracting from backup files former backed up versions of it, but even though the versions, which worked before, are the same data files; they don't work now. Don't know what went wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ps.
The game works fine when I'm on the main menu and Civilopedia, it's just starting an actual game which causes the issue.

Hi there,

Whenever I try to start a game on the History Rewritten Mod, the game crashes. The game has worked fine for months, and after not having played it for a while, it doesn't work now.

I've tried extracting from backup files former backed up versions of it, but even though the versions, which worked before, are the same data files; they don't work now. Don't know what went wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ps.
The game works fine when I'm on the main menu and Civilopedia, it's just starting an actual game which causes the issue.

Please post the crash report.

Thanks for the quick reply. Here's the Problem and Configuration Report in a pdf file. I'm using a Mac, by the way.

Attachments

• HR crash report.pdf
    111 KB · Views: 134
Thanks for the quick reply. Here's the Problem and Configuration Report in a pdf file. I'm using a Mac, by the way.

Thanks. What difficulty level are you attempting to play at? Random map or scenario?

Top Bottom