1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Troubleshooting and F.A.Q.

Discussion in '[MAC+WIN] Civ4 - History Rewritten' started by Xyth, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Switch off the Frozen Animations graphics option. It's buggy and doesn't work with cultural unit art.

2. flakjacket96

flakjacket96 Chieftain

Game keeps crashing on 1580 BC on windows and gives me no crash report.

3. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Version 1.21.1? Could you please post your saved game, I'll see if I can identify the problem.

4. flakjacket96

flakjacket96 Chieftain

yes version 1.21.1 and I got it backwards it crashes on 1560 BC

Attached Files:

5. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Found the problem. When I disabled the Pirate unit in 1.21.1 I neglected to disable it from the Tribal Island code. Crash occurs whenever a ships lands on a coastal tribal island, gets unlucky and triggers barbarians. Attached is a single file fix. Unzip and replace the existing file at /History Rewritten/Assets/Python/CvEventManager.py and you should be able to continue your game. Thanks for the report.

Attached Files:

6. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

The game gives me an error while loading when it's initiating the engine. I haven't been able to play this at all yet. Looking forward to it though. Please help.

7. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Here's a screenshot of the error:

Spoiler :

8. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

See the second post of this thread for the solution(s) to this error.

9. wolfjesus

wolfjesus Chieftain

10. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Fix attached. Unzip and replace the existing file at /History Rewritten/Assets/Python/Screens/CvMainInterface.py. You'll be able to continue your current game. Be sure to grab the fix from posts #65 as well, if you haven't already. Thanks for the report!

Attached Files:

11. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

I've never had to move a mod to the programs-mods folder. It worked. :)

Thoughts:
    Wow, this is looking great! These leaderheads, wow! Is there a lot of original art here? I've never seen a lot of these models before (or it seems like it anyway!).

So is it, 2 unique units, and essentially 2 unique buildings per civ? 1 of them being a wonder?

Loving the new camera options!

12. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

It's a bit of a pain but it saves a lot of hassle in the long run. The problem is that the other mod install location (MyDocuments etc) differs with OSX and Windows, Steam and non-Steam BTS, and some other factors. Having it in the BTS mods folder avoids a lot of effort and errors, trying to account for all permutations.

Thanks! No leaderhead in HR has been made entirely by me, but I have done quite a bit of reskinning and other such tweaks.

Yes. The Unique Wonders trigger a golden age when built and have different art, but are otherwise identical to the National Wonder they replace. In the future I may give them more 'unique' bonuses, but it's not a high priority at this time.

13. Mavfin

Mavfin AC was still the best!

Wow, a Civ 4 mod that I can actually use on my Mac w/o booting into Windows!

Thanks, guys!

14. saddam_who_sane

saddam_who_sane Chieftain

game crashes trying to display Geobukseon unit and graphics quality reduction doesn't help

that was just problem with my computer. i've solved it by myself. sorry for disturbing.
    P.S. this is the best mod for Civ4 i've ever played :)

15. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

I'm unable to reproduce this problem. Could you please post the crash report?

16. snarf137

snarf137 Chieftain

I just want to preface by saying this seems like a great mod, I've just had some major trouble with crashes in the game. So I have a certain problem where the game will crash at a certain date (usually quite early in the game, such as 1680 BC), and when I try to reload it continues to crash on the same date. Any ideas what could be causing this? The crash always occurs when I end my turn. I'm on a Mac.

I've also attached the crash report

Edit: Nevermind, the tribal island patch fixed it

17. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

I'm pretty sure that's the Tribal Islands crash. There are a couple of fixes available in the first post of this thread, please install those and see if it solves the problem. If not, let me know.

18. Soulmate

Soulmate Warlord

Not quiet typical issue, but I feel like this is quiet important
    Decided to give this mod a shot and was quiet consumed by my Byzantium game(great work overall !:goodjob:) But was soon quiet surprised at the rate of AI expansion(after C2C,PAE) it feels really intense. AI doesn't mind having 13 cities at 800-700 BC on Monarch difficulty , and I am okay with that but it looks like there's no regulations for his expansion. Considering he is not having any drawbacks in sciense(If I were to exceed 8 cities at this stage I would have huge drawbacks on income). I restarted my game picking expansive Zulu Empire(and this trait really feels OP) and soon was almsot on the same pace with AI but then my spieces gave me grave news that I didn't considered important for awhile -I am playin on marathon speed and I have a feeeling that AI is playing on some other speed. I checked all AI empires and their wealth and while they are at the same money as I am they research the technology that would cost me 50 turns in 12-18 turns ( checked this for a few times and in prolonged time period)
    Now I don't mind difficulty but I prefer the way of a fair and anjoyable game not the AI cheats. What is more important that I am not warmongering player and I like to develop my empire on my own territories. But when you face the AI that research 4 technologies in the time that you research only 1 you have to make decisions and with Zulu it was simple - pillage enemy lands to the scrap with the stacks of Impi.
    What I try to say is that I find it quiet dissiapointing that you can't compete with AI in research and forced into the fight in order to survive, limited tactics is not the Civilization way...
    Here are some screenshots of devastating Impi raids:
    Spoiler :

And unfortunate Egyptian lands that were researching the technologies in 12 turns(after destroying all the major citites they are still 2x faster in research than I am) :
    Spoiler :

Sorry for my english I hope it won't be that hard to read my rambling sentenses.

19. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

The AI has no specific advantages over the player, with the exception of Emperor and Immortal difficulty. On these, the AI starts with all 4 starting techs, instead of just 2. There are no changes to research speed, though other AI advantages may indirectly contribute to faster research of course. On Monarch difficulty, the relevant factors are that the AI has 10% faster city growth, 10% faster building and unit construction, and 10% cheaper civics.

I suggest trying the mod on Noble difficulty to start with, as this is the setting with pretty much no AI advantages (though the player gets a few). History Rewritten has a lot of subtle differences to things like buildings and improvements that can catch new players off guard if they're trying to play similar to BTS.

I'm also not much of a warmonger; it's definitely possible to keep up with the AI playing this way. You do have to choose appropriate traits and be very proactive with diplomacy though.

All that said, I haven't done a review of the difficulty levels for a while. Shall take a look once I'm done with the Tenets system.

20. Soulmate

Soulmate Warlord

Okay, this is going to be a pretty huge post so excuse me for that :
    1)
    I have played most of the mods on the Emperor difficulty and feel capable of wining the AI(you probably got my point wrong and though I was bragging about the difficulty which is not, I just like to know where my opponent's power comes from)
    2) I decided to investigate the issue using this cool WB and here are results of my more in-depth research :
    Here are the AI tech cost compared to mine
    Spoiler :

Spoiler :

And jsut in case you are not convicted enough :
    Spoiler :

Another AI... just in case ( There is another problem I would like to disccus about this image later)
    Spoiler :

3) Now I went on and made exatly the same sized map on PREVIOUS game speed which is SAGA and guess what ? Yes, you are right :
    Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I haven't checked the production rates yet, but the research rate of the AI opponents is clearly not Marathon but on the Saga level, which means we are playing different games... I am absolutely okay with the fact that Ai always had slight advantage on this field but this one is just absurd.
    4) Now I want you to look closely at this two images and explain to me how is it possible :
    Spoiler :

Spoiler :

That's the Egypt opponent which recently lost it's capital with 3 wonders(one is gold generating religious wonder) and 3 other citites 2 of which were the most developed cities in his whole empire. Now , on the screenshots you can see his gold production and his actual empire which is reduced to the level of bunch of villages with high upkeep cost due to distance(well, if this apply to the AI at all ... because I started to question if this mechanics works with the AI in this mod).

Here is another AI( the most advanced "empire" in the world ):
    Spoiler :

And his gold production...
    Spoiler :

I jsut hope he got all his techs from the tribal villages, right ?
    Now, with all this images in mind you might aswell want to chek my empire with 2 religous gold generating wonders :
    Spoiler :

Sometimes I start to feel that AI doesn't get affected by the overxpansion penalties from city maintananse - half continent empires at 600 BC is competing but feels wrong(maybe you want to implement some kind of limitations like in c2c ? If I recall correctly there are happines penalties for overexpansion)
    I am attaching the savefile in case someone can adjust my tactics to match the AI mastermind, or jsut want to check all this numbers with his own eyes.https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Ug-yCzdPLsLUxPNGtLV1JJMWs/edit?usp=sharing
    P.S. I hope you don't take any of this as the critics or diminishing the coolness of the mod , I jsut like to play my game knowing HOW is the enemy playing. I hope you take a look on this arguments and take a note, because I feel like it is an importan issue.