TSG48 After Action Report

This is my first attempt at playing and submitting a GOTM. I guess I should have read the instructions a little closer as I completed a Domination Victory. Oh well. Anyways finished in 300 turns.

Welcome to GoTM!

No worries, qqe, we're still glad to have new players. Each month we have 2 games and they both have a specified victory condition but any victories are still allowed. After a month each game has a results thread where you can not only see who the top 3 medal winners are but also see results from every submission including games that resulted in a loss or a different victory condition. And they have decent breakdowns for information as to how they got their results.

Stay tuned, a new GotM will arrive on December 1st so you can quickly jump back in with us. Thanks for playing and have fun!

HR

Game: Civ5 GOTM 48
Date submitted: 2012-12-01
Reference number: 27796
Your name: trueblue
Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1900AD
Turns played: 320
Base score: 1352
Final score: 2112
Time played: 2:58:00
Submitted save: GOTM48Save.Civ5Save
Renamed file: trueblue_C504801.Civ5Save

Have played lots of Civ4 and some Civ5, but this was only my second game of G&K and I wanted to try out the new things like religion, new tech tree, etc. I thought I'd keep it simple and play an OCC - no worries about war or how many cities to build (and no auto-annexing!).

Built a ton of wonders - Stonehenge, GL for Philo, Oracle very early. Too much culture at the beginning meant I opened Commerce well before Rationalism.

Haven't really figured out saving the Rationalism and Oxford free techs - should I have used them for the very last? I realize the last techs cost the most bpt, but perhaps the leverage of getting a key early tech earlier is better?

I badly underestimated the science required and paved over two academies with mines, even though I still had 40 turns of teching to go - I thought building spaceship parts would be the bottleneck but I was wrong. The tech tree seems much, much deeper than Civ4.

No wars, the Iroquois kept stealing my techs but I kept forgiving them, signed tons of RAs with most civs.

Launched on T370.

Game date: 1950AD
Turns played: 370
Base score: 807
Final score: 1090
Time played: 5:39:00

Fun game. I managed to get by building only a scout, which upgraded itself to an archer somewhere along the way.

Fun highlights:

1. Isabella and Theodora brought two great prophets to my capital around the same time. The hung out for about 100 turns before departing. They never did convert anything...

2. I stopped upgrading my scout archer after machinery. My end game army consisted of a single crossbow. I had long since disbanded my 3 scouting triremes and my starting warrior. Despite this, I had 5 AI ask me to help them defeat Elizabeth in the space of two turns. I guess they thought the single crossbow would be the tipping point?

3. Everyone was my friend. Everyone. I had an average of 5 DoFs going at any given time, and everyone stayed Friendly. Didn't fight a single war, though the Huns did park an army around my city... then left it there for 40ish turns. This was all caused by a single spy in my capital. Every civ sent their spies after me, and I kept killing... and forgiving... and killing... and forgiving... "Gee, PT sure is nice! I mean, he's sitting on a throne made from the skulls of our deceased spies, but he's so understanding about everything!"

Every civ sent their spies after me, and I kept killing... and forgiving... and killing... and forgiving... "Gee, PT sure is nice! I mean, he's sitting on a throne made from the skulls of our deceased spies, but he's so understanding about everything!"

:lol: I did the exact same thing in my game.

Date submitted: 2012-12-09
Reference number: 27865
Your name: mantis2007
Game date: 1976AD
Turns played: 397
Base score: 1349
Final score: 1707

This one was great fun. I hadn't played an archipelago map in a very long time. With the improvements in G&K and patches to the naval side of things, I think this map type is extra awesome.

I also forgave spies about a million times, trying to stay friendly. Nonetheless, both Siam and Hiawatha backstabbed me. I got my revenge by destroying their navies with submarines and capturing their capitals. I guess I wasn't so forgiving, after all.

Date submitted: 2012-12-10
Reference number: 27870
Your name: Monthar
Game date: 1892AD
Turns played: 316
Base score: 1000
Final score: 1587
Time played: 7:28:00
Submitted save: TSG48_Victory_Science.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Monthar_C504801.Civ5Save

I realized a bit too late that I didn't sign enough RAs. I also delayed the 3rd & 4th cities too long.

Game date: 1878AD
Turns played: 310
Base score: 1401
Final score: 2296

Submitted this ages ago but no time to report until now. Made many mistakes, principally going for a 6-city Liberty core when Tradition would have been better. My city sites were good but the last two were settled too late for a strong finish and all were far too small. Took out Russia for some wonders, otherwise rather uneventful until I tried to chain-bulb my GS collection at 850bpt and found myself woefully short on the tech front (even after Oxford). I had combined Order with Rationalism so the 2 free tech option was a non-starter and so there were 20+ turns of hard-teching before completion. It seems I got exactly 8 turns of research per GS (I had hoped for some overflow but appeared to get none at all). I have got out of the habit of signing RA and should have used them much more here.

Attachments

• Ethiopia.jpg
    Ethiopia.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 105
Date submitted: 2012-12-12
Reference number: 27883
Your name: pontias
Game date: 1795AD
Turns played: 269
Base score: 1056
Final score: 1992
Time played: 9:41:00
Submitted save: Haile Selassie_0269 AD-1795.Civ5Save
Renamed file: pontias_C504801.Civ5Save

i'm struggling to find time these days for these :(

Game date: 1670AD
Turns played: 244
Base score: 1897
Final score: 3952
Time played: 30:36:00

Real Life was impacting my ability to finish this game, but I finally got it done.
Got off to a good start in this game, getting to Education at turn 97, but made some mistakes mid-game taking a couple of crappy cities from Siam. should have just taken his capital. Also should have been more aggressive in taking capitals from Hiawatha and Byzantium earlier. Did better later though taking all capitals execpt London.

Also should have used GS earlier, to get to Apollo project earlier. I overteched and had left over GSs at the end. could have also shaved a few turns by building railroads to get spaceship parts to capital as qucikly as possible, but only thought of that too late.

Fun game, thanks!

Hope it wasn't too late to submit. Probably the most over-the-top victory I've ever had on Noble.

Date submitted: 2012-12-15
Reference number: 27899
Your name: BuddhaBubba
Game date: 1943AD
Turns played: 363
Base score: 2968
Final score: 4122
Time played: 4:56:00
Submitted save: Haile Selassie_0363 AD-1943.Civ5Save
Renamed file: BuddhaBubba_C504801.Civ5Save

Attachments

• 2012-12-15_00001.jpg
    2012-12-15_00001.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 103
Nice! We wont have the results for TSG48 posted for a couple days so your submission is good to go.

Looks like I may have been a few hours late on submitting. Emailed the save just in case.

Played terribly at the beginning (didn't hit education til like t115) and don't really get how great scientists work in G&K so the end game was also a mess. They seemed glitchy and showed progress against several techs which then disappeared...

Interesting game though, first science victory on G&Ks.

regarding the disappearing progress, if you pop a GS for a tech and it completes it, the excess beakers will be applied randomly to available techs if you dont have a queue for the specific tech path you'd like to take. if you pick a different tech than the one it was applied to it wont still be applied to that one on later turns. i dont know if those are lost beakers as i havent paid that much attention to it in a long time.

Top Bottom