Turn 88 - 825 B.C.

HOLY MOLY it seems elucidia is losing!

Hehehe - AllYourGoatsRBelongToUs! :lol:

Since I last reported scores a couple of days ago, things have changed. Sid_Meier is the big story here as that team has climbed 19 points (11%) and skipped over both Possum and Kermit into 4th place.

Kermit (+11%), OTOH, outstepped Possum (+8%) to tie for 5th place, while Markos (+10%) outstepped Mao (+6%) :( to secure a tie for last place.

Miccofl, +24 pts (10%) and Fritz, +21 pts (10%) continue to shine as the front runners.

The cursed Yellow_Destiny retains 3rd place with a 6% increase.

Yeah it is pretty funny... but it belongs to the wrong team :mad:

Lord Octavian...

:aargh: I am slightly frustrated by your recent moves... :aargh:

Did you consider attacking the southern horseman with our vet horseman? According to our combat calculator (which, granted, is not 100% accurate due to the limited knowledge of the FULL combat formula), we had a 61% chance of winning that fight. A win there would have prevented GCA from seeing our second horseman emerging from the mountains. It also would have prevented what is now sure to happen.

At the very least, you should NOT have moved him to the mountains!!! This was the worst move we could have made!

They can now move their southern swordsman into the ruins of Yun Feng and sprint their leader from his current position to the current location of their southern swordsman. This would effectively prevent us from attacking their leader, who, since he can outrun our horses, can then sprint home to Balance of Power! This is enough to make me want to
:vomit:

Hopefully, GCA won't take this chance and we can still force their leader to move one tile at a time under the protection of their northern swordsman.

Which brings me to my #2 complaint. Did you send that healthy vet horseman near Jiang Mapi BACK to the northern iron?!? There's NOTHING going on over there! Even IF a GCA unit managed to pop up in that area, we already had 2 horsemen, 1 archer and a spearman to deal with it. What we NEED is another horseman over in the east, in case our skirmishes over there don't go well, or God forbid, GCA sends some reinforcements.

I hate to criticize a Defender of the Realm winner, but I cannot help but cry after seeing these recent moves. We must all caution ourselves against false hope. This war is FAR from over and in case you've missed the headlines, our side is LOSING! We must stay focused and not rest on our recent accomplishments.

Well, a few things...

I kept the new horse back near Jiang Mapi so that all three could depart as an offensive force against BoP.

The two horsemen on the front were placed so that, if the GL moves the course I predicted it will (three tiles SE - shortest route to BoP), we'ed have forces ready to counter it accross the grassland.

Next time I end up playing, it would be a bit nicer to have all your thoughts on exact troop movement somewhere. I know I could be saved this post if I had my own explanation somewhere...

Octavian...

I must apologize for my brashness in my previous post. It was a knee-jerk reaction and I should have kept quiet. After all, this is a game and the ultimate purpose of this game is to be enjoyed by us all.

If it turns out that they move their wounded swordsman N and their GL 3 tiles SE as you predict, then we will indeed be in great shape. Additionally, I had neglected to consider the presence of the CDG warrior in the forest (assuming it hasn't been destroyed by additional GCA forces coming out of BoP).

In short, I don't think we're in as bad a situation as my initial take led me to believe, but our best chance at killing that leader is to delay him enough for our other units to reach the front so that we can attack with enough power to ensure his death. If that leader reaches BoP and GCA is able to create an army of veteran swordsman, I fear that may spell our doom.

We must bring all healthy units forward as soon as they are ready. There is no need to hold them back at the far rear any longer. Let the last horseman heal while the others advance. It is still considerably early to launch an offensive against BoP, but we need all the units in the grasslands that we can spare to prevent GCA from mounting another attack against us, while we connect the iron and make preparations for an assault.

Let us put this incident behind us and continue to work together as we have done so well these past 2 months.

<><><><>

BTW... I just heard from Trip that Poly's sending a galley nearby from the north.... I wonder if they're up to something....

BTW... I just heard from Trip that Poly's sending a galley nearby from the north.... I wonder if they're up to something....

Damn, I knew I forgot something. Last night, BigFree sent the save to the wrong address. I went over to #apolyton, and got him to send it to us.

I also got to talking to Togas. He informed me that they have two gallies exploring - one in each direction from their homeland. They want us to make a small exception to the NAP to allow their exploring gallies through our terrirory (If you will recall, our NAP prevents movement of troops from one tile away from cultural borders). He's assured my the gallies carry no passengers.

I think we should make an exception and allow them through, mostly as a sign of good will. We may consider demanding that the results of the exploration be handed over to us in exchange for the passage, though.

Not like we have the navy to stop them.... We should definitely allow them safe passage, provided that they do not interfere with our vessels in any way.

Note: we should refer to our units in plural even though we will have only the 1 galley. They don't need to know that though.

I think it would be a great idea to combine both of your ideas, guys. We allow them to explore passing our turf, and they show us their voyages. Also, our vessels may cross passed their turf, and we would shoe them our voyages. Though we should build another galley. Remember, there are others civs out there. Two civs (or even 3) looking for other civs and willing to share is better than 2 or 3 civs looking for other civs on their own.

Originally posted by Cheetah
Could it be possible that the next settler we get could be shiped over to the western lands to start a colony there?

Togas assured me those gallies have no settlers. They've been fairly honest in their dealings with us - I see no reason why not to believe them.

Ah, yes. I didn't question their honesty in that deal, I was just wondering if it would be possible for us to start settling the other continent. At least before a third Apolytonian galley comes by with a settler...

Originally posted by Octavian X

Togas assured me those gallies have no settlers. They've been fairly honest in their dealings with us - I see no reason why not to believe them.

That's why I would take their word as well. If we find a settler pop out of a galley, then that's a different story. Until then, we should keep an eye out.

I think Cheetah has an excellent idea. let's get a Settler westward right away. If we're going to allow Poly to cruise through our waterways, then we should get an update of their maps as soon as we see them cross the border of international waters. Then we should get an update every couple of turns, just to keep them honest. If we are getting their maps from their water travels, then there will be no need for us to send gallys their way, as Poly's galleys will encompass the continent.

We'll have a galley out of Zhi Gang (It's about time Wisdom Harbor lived up to it's name. ;)) in three turns. A new settler may be another story, since the next one out of the capital is for the iron.

If APO wants to settle on our island, let them. In my opinion, it'd end up ours anyway... that far from their capitol... should prove to be an easy cultural convert for us.

Building a second galley is a bit premature, if you ask me. We must stick to our priorities: 1) military units for the war with GCA, and 2) settlers to expand our production/commercial base.

Shen Ling is the best source for settlers with it's monster growth rate, and since Shen Ling represents nearly 50% of our total productive capacity at present, we should not be thinking of using our other cities for anything but military at this time. Then again, that's just my opinion. ;)

Allright, point taken. Military/ settlers are a must. I can't argue there. I guess we will have to wait for that second galley. (I guess I'm a little too eager to meet more civs, too.)

Top Bottom