Turns played per chat

If you pop the city right away when a 1-tile away field would have gained you 2 addiditonal production points right from the beginning (or food-points or whatever), then you will soon get a production minus higher than the 1-2 missed turns for settlement.
and this minus stays forever, as we usually dont moove our palace or move cities around by disbanding them.

i agree with you on the 2nd and 3rd... settler, which should not be removed for a fast settlement.
also, the first worker can be a valuable discovery unit, as normally the other civs are still far away. the only disadvantage on that are babarians, but this will always be a problem at the beginning.

Gentleman, I believe it's discussions like these that demand turn-chats of only 10 turns per chat. So many different strategies, so many different directions to go. Different uses for different units, which ones to build first. I think the 10 turn ceiling is appropriate.

This is a re-post of something I put in the "Refining the Turn Chat" thread. It seems this discussion is wandering all over the place, so I thought I'd bring this here.

Well I agree with the ceiling of 10 turns. I don't think it should be lifted for the first few chats either. Much discussion and thought is needed for a Nation in its infancy. Those first 20 steps are important ones. If we can't go 10 turns the first chat, fine. Stop and bring it back to the forums. We'll try to go 10 turns the next chat, and so on. I think the more times we stop (averaging 10 turns per chat), the more times the citizens, new and veteran, have to become involved with the game. With detailed writings and screenshots, anyone could enter the game, catch up, and begin discussion. Doesn't matter if the left town for a day trip or a week's business. If you let the DP run 20-30 straight turns, people are going to have to read a book just to catch up. That's IF the DP does write a 20-30 turn detailed write-up and bothers to take those screenshots. As a citizen I would like to read WHY the DP decided to cut across the desert rather than climb the mountain. You are not going to get that kind of reporting on a 20-30 turn chat. (I bring up this example based on the first 30 turns.)

Now I am writing a book. Anyway I feel a slow start will be good for getting people involved and keeping them there.

I agree with Cyc. However, I would be against setting a ceiling in stone. We should ask the DP to follow these guidelines, but the DP should retain the right to end the chat at his/her discression. It doesn't make sence, for example, to stop a chat midway through a period of anarchy.

Perhaps, we could add a spot citizen vote, called by a citizen, to force the DP to end the chat.

EDIT: When I agreed w/ Cyc, I was agreeing to his post 2 above mine. I need to type faster...

Again, a re-posting from "Refining the Turn Chat":

And on my prior post, I really wouldn't mind if the chat was extended by a maximum of up to 5 turns to place a settler. But I think that would be the only reason for the extension.

Top Bottom