1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Twillight of Byzantium

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Yoda Power, May 7, 2006.

1. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

I have a lot of comments regarding Wallachia here but if I post them I'd look like someone who doesn't know or care about anything else, like a nationalistic idiot, which I'm really not. :D (though some people might be fooled by my New Year avatar)

2. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

Don't worry about that. What did I do wrong?

3. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

Not wrong. :) But things can be corrected about it, nothing is actually wrong. :)

I have to play the scen again to remember my objections, I'll do it later today or tomorrow. :)

4. muffincakes

muffincakes Chieftain

I disabled the locked alliances and the game is alot more fun this way =D

5. P-51D

P-51D Chieftain

Nice, now I can make that bet I could have held Constantinople past 1453.

6. RulerOfDaPeople

RulerOfDaPeople Emperor

The byzantines and the episode about them on "Engineering an Empire" is what got me into the civilization 3 game. I'm a big Byzantine fan.

This mod looks great.

But what I'd like to know is, where can I find a mod with Constantine in it?

As much as I love the Byzantines, Theodora just doesn't cut it for me. She was one of the most devious of all the byzantine rulers, and her husband Justinian seems kind of inept to me. I really want Constantine, the original and greatest of all Byzantine Emperors!

7. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Just out of curiosity, why do you think Justinian inept? He's usually considered a great ruler - a conqueror, lawgiver*, and initiator of great building projects.

* His codification of the Roman law is arguably the most influential legal text ever.

8. Keroro

Keroro Dororo: Ninja Frog

The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire has Constantine, though it is one of the hardest and most time consuming mods out there. There is a 100 BC start version that would stop you from needing to play through most of the Republican times.

Yeah, what he said. :) But he was very paranoid, if I'd been in his shoes I probably would have been too. His lack of trust for Belisarius ended forever the possibility of the Byzantines winning back the Western Roman Empire.

9. LouLong

LouLong In love with Rei Ayanami

Well Justinian apparently achived a great many things, the geographical expansion being one of the most apparent. But he bascially ruined the EMpire for a few decades afterwards which then led to the demise of what he had spent so much to build.

Of course that does not have anything to do about the inner work of his ruling such as laws and all.

10. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

Wow, I thought you had abandoned the C&C forum Lou. Nice to see you around. :)

11. RulerOfDaPeople

RulerOfDaPeople Emperor

Thanks for the scenerio pack! :goodjob:

I may not have worded it the best way, but what I was basically thinking about when I wrote that is exactly what you as well as LouLong said right there. As ambitious as he was, he was also his own worst enemy. I can't not think about him or Theodora with out think about he was a puppet to Theodora.... I basically just feel like he was a little woose who did every thing his wife asked (she wore the pants in the family) and couldn't keep his citizens happy.

To sum it up the biggest reason why I don't like Justinian is because of the incident at the Amplitheatre where his citizens were upset and protesting at his policies so he ran, but then was convinced by his wife (Theodora) to stay and slaughter everyone in the Amplitheatre. They basically had a self/emporer emposed September 11th kind of day.

I can't get around thinking about Justinian with out thinking about that incident. It's the reason why I don't like him.

I just didn't know how to put all that into a short sentence so I took a cheap broadened word and hoped it would make the point. ;)

12. Equuleus

Equuleus King

Justinian was a murderer he killed 30000 people in a stadium with shock troops.

13. sum_aar_jam

sum_aar_jam Warlord

And at the behest of his wife. My what a woman:lol:

14. Equuleus

Equuleus King

They were both evil
    Sunflower
    Obese
    Bats
    snow

15. utahjazz7

utahjazz7 Deity

Well, I just got a new computer capable of running Civ3 again. I downloaded a few scenarios, and this was the first I played. I began a game as Florentine to get my feet wet. Once I felt acclimated to the scenario, I began anew as Genoa. I'm still playing, and things are going okay. I managed to take Florence and Pisa, and I've been transporting treasures back to Genoa.

It's quite a good scenario you put together, Yoda Power. I'm enjoying playing it quite a bit. I'm looking forward to the Medieval European Mod II with much anticipation.

16. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

Thanks for the nice comment Utah. :)

And the new MEM will be even much better than this scenario!

17. utahjazz7

utahjazz7 Deity

Thanks for the good scenario; I really enjoyed playing. I just finished my first game. Below is a link to a screenshot from the turn just before I went over 50,000 victory points.

And I'm definitely looking forward to MEM!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/7877/twilight_victory_utahjazz7.png

18. dferrill

dferrill Warlord

I just got a virus on my computer by going to the link you posted my virus protection caught it and i had to reboot my computer.so people beware going to this link.especially those of you who dont have virus protection.

19. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

Oh really? An attachment at CFC? I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with the link.

20. dferrill

dferrill Warlord

It does have something to do with the link.it happened when i went to the link.as to why i dont know.but it was definetly the link posted.Im not going back to see for sure lol.