Two New Beyond the Sword Articles

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Firaxis website has posted two short Behind the Scenes articles about Beyond the Sword, the newest expansion pack for Civilization IV.

The first article, titled "Introducing AfterWorld", is written by Tim McCracken, QA Manager and scenario designer at Firaxis. It gives some background info about the "Afterworld" scenario:

Our stage is in the far distant future. In an age where we've accomplished faster-than-light travel, man-made solar systems, and have isolated 'consciousness'. That last feat allows for human robots to work tirelessly, while their persona takes a vacation in a jar somewhere.

As with any story, something goes wrong. Something causes a planet full of the human robots, GoLeMs, to twist into malformed beasts. The universal government sends some scientists to observe what's going on. Yeah....they're eaten. So then the big guns (that's you) are sent in to grab the scientist's untransmitted research. It's a squad of five "Gravebringers" vs. a planet full of nightmares.

There are no leaders. No cities. No technologies. It's not the typical game of Civ. It's Afterworld.

The second article is titled "Art From Concept to Completion" and is written by Firaxis artist Mike Bates. He talks about the process of creating art asset for games and what each step in the cycle involves. The new spaceship design screen is used as an example. Here is an excerpt:

It's fairly easy to research a concept that's based on existing technology; such as a spaceship, vehicle or building. I looked at the current state of spaceship design and technology, then tried to project where it might go in the future. Incorporating what I learned through my research into the design of my spaceship gave the "look and feel" some credibility. One consideration in a ground launch rocket was good aerodynamic properties and tremendously powerful engines in order to breach the atmosphere. If it were built in space and only traveled in space, it could be shaped like a brick. I submitted three rough drawings that I thought captured what we were looking for, and one was chosen. From there, I began to mock up the in-game spaceship building screen where the player can keep track of the construction of their craft (starting with a skeletal frame), and know what is still needed as the game progresses. Again, I used current airframe design as a basis for how the frame of the ship should be built. The end result is a very believable futuristic kick-in-the-pants spaceship.
Thanks to fitchn for posting about it.

I, um, don't get it?
Afterworld? Is part of the Civ IV expansion? At least it will be interesting...

No cities? No leaders? No civilizations?:eek:
I can't wait, I hope it's turn based like always.
.. I mean scenario..
This might be better than Warlords.. I hope so.

EDIT: Official website coming soon, interesting.

No cities? No leaders? No civilizations?:eek:
I can't wait, I hope it's turn based like always.
.. I mean scenario..
This might be better than Warlords.. I hope so.

EDIT: Offical website coming soon, interesting.

Nah, I guess it sounds like the poor scenarios from Warlords. No cities, leaders or civs.... how can this be a scenario for me? I doubt I'll like it.

I hope they can make some Civ3 Conquest style scenarios, and perhaps even better than that.

I dont understand why there must be 12 scenarios. I would prefer 3 very good/large ones, instead of 12 in the crappy Warlords style..... (The Rise of Rome scenario for instance made me cry, I was so dissapointed)

hmm :(
i'm not a really fan of scenarios...

i hope they include a lot of good stuff in the 'normal' game.

exactly never played scenarios...

so much in the actual game that needs to be addressed , allow the cosmetics!

The first article doesn't even remotely sound like Civilization. Maybe the problem is there's just not enough information.. What part of the civilization community actually demanded that though? Maybe they're branching out to the StarCraft community. haha

hmm,, ditto on the hopes that the actual game will be improved upon. :)

Finally! A Civilization 4 game worth playing!

Firaxis, you have officially secured my buy with that turn based zombie-killing spree. :)

Afterworld sounds like an RPG in a Starcraft "in the building" kind of level. Looks interesting :)

I think making scenarios that are not civ like is the way to go. Civ like scenarios are just too inflexible - especially for people who get really used to that flexibility.

Afterworld sounds like an RPG in a Starcraft "in the building" kind of level. Looks interesting :)

I think making scenarios that are not civ like is the way to go. Civ like scenarios are just too inflexible - especially for people who get really used to that flexibility.

I think the civ like way is good for historical scenarios, but they need to be made good, with own research threes, units and buildings. Especially the ancient ages are great for scenarios, I like scenarios that make it possible to build an empire from scratch.

But an RPG/RTS look alike CIV scenario could be exciting too, if it's done properly enough....

There are no leaders. No cities. No technologies. It's not the typical game of Civ. It's Afterworld.

I just wish they wouldn't waste time and resources developing s*** like this. :thumbdown:

I agree with PGM . I wish they'd just release a pack with the new civs and leaders. The other futuristic stuff isn't civ at all and does not interest me in the slightest.

They are doing the other stuff: stacks of new leaders and civs, plus corporations and a modern emphasis. The expansion pack looks great. The scenarios are just something different for us to try out, and it's helpful for modders too. They're making the game for a huge audience remember, not everybody dislikes scenarios like you guys.

I love scenarios. So this looks awesome. :) The only potential drawback is that with all this effort going into alternative-history scenarios there could be less emphasis on creating wonderful new scenarios based on e.g. the Napoleonic wars or the Crusades. If we are going to get more modern-themed scenarios they should do a grade-A Cold War scenario or scenarios based on the Korea, Vietnam, Iraq or Afghanistan wars.

If Firaxis announced that they were going to polish Trip's WWI scenario, putting in trenches, improved AI, better implementation of chemical warfare, unique graphics for each nation's units, and better scripting of events like Russia undergoing revolution and pulling out of the war, I'd buy the expansion just for that scenario. If they put a WWII European scenario in I would buy it just for that.

But if they cannot be bothered making good scenarios based on history and real events, and retreat into lazy, semi-autistic flights of science-fiction fantasy, then that is not so good.

I will buy the pack because I love civ and want the new leaders and civs but much of the content is a huge disappointment. I hope it doesn't mark the start of a ' dumbing down' of the Civ series.

this guy sounds weird, especially if he is the one who created the Omens scenario in Warlords. seriously, does anyone even understand Omens? I mean, I started playing it and these horesemen creatures start appearing and one of them has 666 strength or something and starts killing everyone, what is that all about? this whole scenario direction he is going in just does not fit well with the Civ concept. the majority of people play this game to start a civ from scratch and build it up.
having said all that, I am really looking forward to BTS for the other new features...

I started playing Omens but gave it up. It was very lazy work for a commercial scenario. They used one of the South American leaders for the North American native civ and used musketeers for militia. It wouldn't have got one star if it had been released by an amateur.

Top Bottom