Two new DLCs of Civilization VI after NFP?

What are these two apps going to be?

• They're going to be DLCs of another Pass.

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • They will be two separate DLCs.

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • These may be one or two expansions, just like RF and GS.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • They could contain nothing of gameplay, just be an launcher update.

Votes: 34 37.8%
  • They may be new modding tools, DLLs or final bug fix.

Votes: 41 45.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Half of the population of every other civ disappearing would be more in the spirit of the character !
Thanos is not really a hero though, is he? 🤔

If I were designing a MMS heroes game mode, given its (controversial?) card combat mechanic, I'd have policy cards for each hero you can swap into wildcard slots. (Or maybe have a special hero slot? IDK).

Couldn't agree more. We don't all worship at the temple of Marvel and I don't want anything to do with any of that rubbish!
It is only pure speculation at this point, so no need to get upset.

IMO it's not gonna be for everybody, in the same way not everyone wants to play Zombies or Vampires (Secret Societies).
It's DLC.

You don't have to buy it if you don't like it.

It's for those of us (Civ gamers) who might be tempted to try out Marvel's Midnight Suns. A last little tasty morsel for Civ VI fans this X'mas before it fades away.

I don’t really care what kind of content it is. I’m just glad that we may be getting one last new toy for civ VI.

I don’t really care what kind of content it is. I’m just glad that we may be getting one last new toy for civ VI.

Yeah, I honestly care less about any new content, whether it's fantasy or alt personas or whatever. But the fact that there's something means that maybe we'll get a last little balance patch. I've more or less put the game aside for the last couple months, but if they can fix a few things, maybe change something small, that would be nice.

I'm not even interested in the DLCs (although having bugs patched up would be nice). I want to understand what this means for the future of Civ VI and Civ VII. At the moment I'm interpreting this to mean that Civ VII is going to be two years away.

I'm not even interested in the DLCs (although having bugs patched up would be nice). I want to understand what this means for the future of Civ VI and Civ VII. At the moment I'm interpreting this to mean that Civ VII is going to be two years away.
Why?

2K apparently didn't approve any additional content after NFP. For them to backtrack on that indicates that suddenly the profitability equation makes sense for whatever this is going to be. I can't imagine NFP's sales performance suddenly became compelling 1.5 years later if it wasn't right when it came out, therefore another factor has affected their decision making. If Civ VII (which one expects would be more profitable than these DLC) were close at hand, they wouldn't feel compelled to delve back into the previous iteration that they had declared finished in order to bolster the Civilization revenue stream. Hence, I suspect Civ VII is going to be a while yet.

2K apparently didn't approve any additional content after NFP. For them to backtrack on that indicates that suddenly the profitability equation makes sense for whatever this is going to be. I can't imagine NFP's sales performance suddenly became compelling 1.5 years later if it wasn't right when it came out, therefore another factor has affected their decision making. If Civ VII (which one expects would be more profitable than these DLC) were close at hand, they wouldn't feel compelled to delve back into the previous iteration that they had declared finished in order to bolster the Civilization revenue stream. Hence, I suspect Civ VII is going to be a while yet.
I don’t want to believe that Civ 7 is so far off but your logic makes sense. Sigh…

Profit is one angle to view this; marketing is another. As I write that, I realize that my day job in IT and my background as an engineer make me woefully unqualified to speculate about marketing.

Consider the potential impact of additional Civ VI content for re-engaging the community. They've already done the re-packaging parts, with the Anthology and Platinum Edition. Those releases would have a revenue impact, but not as much marketing / mind share value. DLC might pave the way for a Civ VII teaser trailer in early 2023, with release in time for the 2023 Thanksgiving / Christmas buying season. The Marvel game is clearly the focus for the 2022 holiday buying season.

The Marvel game is clearly the focus for the 2022 holiday buying season.
Oh yeah!

And it is a big deal. This partnership with Marvel.

Clearly both 2K and Firaxis are pinning a lot on Midnight Suns. If successful it could lead to more projects. Marvel's parent Disney owns Star Wars, Aliens, Predator to name a few. The possibilities are endless.

It's no wonder MMS is blowing up my timeline on socials.

If 2K+Firaxis only could tap into its Civ fan base 😜

Oh yeah!

And it is a big deal. This partnership with Marvel.

Clearly both 2K and Firaxis are pinning a lot on Midnight Suns. If successful it could lead to more projects. Marvel's parent Disney owns Star Wars, Aliens, Predator to name a few. The possibilities are endless.

It's no wonder MMS is blowing up my timeline on socials.

If 2K+Firaxis only could tap into its Civ fan base 😜
A thought

What if the idea is there but the logic isn't

What if profiability is the issue but not with Civ 6

Licenses cost money, and Midnight Suns was delayed, what if this caused Firaxis to pour in more money than they anticipated as a result (I'm sure the details aren't as simple as this), but in order to make some money back without sacrificing the budget on Civ 7 or Midnight Suns, they came up with a small roll out of DLCs to both keep people reminded of the game, give them an excuse to patch it (because let's face it, we ALL Know it needs 1 more patch), and make some money on the side to balance their budget out.

If Game Studio Simulator has taught me anything...

They could take the opportunity of a last patch to tie up some loose ends. In Civ6 there are some loose features that are not quite in line with each other.
I don't think in these DCLs there will be new civs, but instead maybe new alternative leaders, new personas and maybe new wonders. We can expect some new game modes too.

i am more in the camp of company wants to make more money this christmas period and there is nothing coming from CIV franchise , so they will create something real fast.
Also losing Anton surely did not help civ7 progress, do we even know who will now be responsible?

i am more in the camp of company wants to make more money this christmas period and there is nothing coming from CIV franchise , so they will create something real fast.
Also losing Anton surely did not help civ7 progress, do we even know who will now be responsible?
Ed Beach is still the top gun on the Civ franchise. Kevin has been shifted from marketing to producer on the series. Also Carl is a producer now too, instead of QA lead. Sara went to Zenimax after being the lead on Midnight Suns for a while. Several others followed Anton. I haven't kept track of everyone, so I don't know all who stayed.

I mostly feel this way. However I don’t really have any interest in superheroes or Marvel so I hope it’s not related to that (although I don’t really think it will be anyway).
100% agreed.

When some of the fantasy elements from NFP first came out, my initial feeling was like, "huh, well that's different." Now, my thoughts are much more negative to them. Adding superheroes or whatever would just add on to that.

It's not that I'm against fantasy/superhero games, I just wish they'd been kept out of a historically-themed game.

New leaders, personalities, civs, etc., sure, bring them on. That would be (as others have suggested) a great way to maintain interest and income from Civ VI if VII is still well over a year out from release.

One final patch would be even better, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom