Two new DLCs of Civilization VI after NFP?

What are these two apps going to be?

• They're going to be DLCs of another Pass.

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • They will be two separate DLCs.

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • These may be one or two expansions, just like RF and GS.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • They could contain nothing of gameplay, just be an launcher update.

Votes: 34 37.8%
  • They may be new modding tools, DLLs or final bug fix.

Votes: 41 45.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also losing Anton surely did not help civ7 progress, do we even know who will now be responsible?

IDK
Have you seen what Civ VI has been like since the original release? (i.e. since Standard Rules)

Civ VI has got increasingly buggy, increasingly unbalanced, more and more exploits, half baked systems, OP civs, weird game modes with Vampires and Zombies and did I say incredibly buggy? 🙄

IMO Firaxis needs some new blood for Civ VII.
With so many studios having entered 4X like Mohawk and Amplitude, as the (current) kings of 4X, Firaxis have plenty of choice.

They need a new foundation and toolset for Civ VII.
Basically what there is now is ported from Civ iV (that is 4!). The maps, the XML. Graphics from Civ V I think. (V, BE and VI all share graphics).

I developed my first mod for HUMANKIND and it took me all of 30 mins!
Very impressive toolkit - Unity.

I'm wondering of the occasional hotfix is being applied, as I sometimes see things happening that I don't remember seeing before. Today I noticed that on winning a naval battle, a green text flashed up saying "+10 Great Admiral points" (or +5 whatever). I'm sure i never saw that before. Has it always been like that?

I'm wondering of the occasional hotfix is being applied, as I sometimes see things happening that I don't remember seeing before. Today I noticed that on winning a naval battle, a green text flashed up saying "+10 Great Admiral points" (or +5 whatever). I'm sure i never saw that before. Has it always been like that?
Yes, it happens on land as well except that it give General points.

You must have suzerainty of Wolin, that is their bonus. Although, why this isn't just something that every civ has is strange.

Yeah, I've noticed the +X Great Something points for a long while now, possibly since I started playing. It was intermittent though, and quite rare actually. However, if it was because I was Suzerain of Wolin, that'd make sense. Wolin isn't always present and is rarely a priority for me even if it is in the game.

Civ VI has got increasingly buggy, increasingly unbalanced, more and more exploits, half baked systems, OP civs, weird game modes with Vampires and Zombies and did I say incredibly buggy? 🙄

I have many criticisms of Civ VI, but I don't think calling it incredibly buggy is fair. I won't challenge any of your other observations, but I have encountered almost no bugs.
That may be due to the fact I use very few (if any) mods or game modes, but that is my experience.

I have many criticisms of Civ VI, but I don't think calling it incredibly buggy is fair. I won't challenge any of your other observations, but I have encountered almost no bugs.
That may be due to the fact I use very few (if any) mods or game modes, but that is my experience.
There are bugs, and if you've played in the last couple of years, then you'll have experienced them. The AI science bug is the most egregious inherent to the game, and it wrecks the difficulty. There are several specific to NFP. That said, most of the problematic bugs are from Aspyr's ports, and the actual game isn't that buggy at all. There are a couple of massive ones, but other than those, it's nowhere near the bugridden mess that is Skyrim, etc.

The game continues to repeatedly crash on XBox and there are certainly no mods,
The AI science bug is also a big problem as is the lack of balance in many aspects of the game

There are bugs, and if you've played in the last couple of years, then you'll have experienced them. The AI science bug is the most egregious inherent to the game, and it wrecks the difficulty. There are several specific to NFP. That said, most of the problematic bugs are from Aspyr's ports, and the actual game isn't that buggy at all. There are a couple of massive ones, but other than those, it's nowhere near the bugridden mess that is Skyrim, etc.
I feel like the biggest mistake Firaxis made was monthly game updates because I think if anything that was the biggest result and wrecker of the game's balance and stability.

A lot of the issues, apart from some older ones (those introduced with the Gathering Storm that wrecked hell on mods) aren't as bad. I honestly can't remember when the Science bug was introduced myself, but most of the infamous current bugs (Culture Industry, Monopolies, Glitched VFX on Load) are largely triggered by NFP than previous games

This game is too big for a monthly update cycle. Same thing happened with Sims 4, which is incredibly and constantly buggy.

I feel like the biggest mistake Firaxis made was monthly game updates because ...
Yes, sure, 100% ... (especially from a player's point of view)

But!

can you imagine the reactions even here (@ Sid Meier's CivFanatics), if they delivered NFP as one package in this condition for that price? :D

No no, they got earlier money, sold more copies and skipped strenuous aftermath; i.e. they did it right. ;)

One has to set priorities.

I feel like the biggest mistake Firaxis made was monthly game updates because I think if anything that was the biggest result and wrecker of the game's balance and stability.

A lot of the issues, apart from some older ones (those introduced with the Gathering Storm that wrecked hell on mods) aren't as bad. I honestly can't remember when the Science bug was introduced myself, but most of the infamous current bugs (Culture Industry, Monopolies, Glitched VFX on Load) are largely triggered by NFP than previous games

This game is too big for a monthly update cycle. Same thing happened with Sims 4, which is incredibly and constantly buggy.

Yeah, another issue with the NFP was even though some of the bugs came in got fixed later, with the way the cycles worked, they were already basically locked into the next couple months, so you would have like the game-breaking monopoly culture bonus taking like 3 months to at least fix the egregious part of it, but it's still got way too much bonus, more than I think seems reasonably for them to have intended. Basically, the time it takes them to investigate, confirm, and then resolve issues, they stayed for a long time. It would have worked a lot better if, say, they had a new patch only every 2-3 months, and each pass could have taken some time to actually fix any issues from the previous pass while also adding the new content.

Actually when it comes to development and testing (QA) shipping smaller updates is much easier to manage.
A smaller change delta.

NFP should have been a better quality product in theory, but wasn't. (Presumably the problem was elsewhere).

Anyway both 2K+Firaxis are totally sold on the ideas of Season Passes cos they are totally gung-ho on it now.
Marvel's Midnight Suns hasn't even shipped yet but is already getting a season pass featuring Deadpool. 😏

I'm pretty sure Civ next and all its DLCs/expansions will be in season pass format.

Back OT: any new clues to what the DLCs are?

Actually when it comes to development and testing (QA) shipping smaller updates is much easier to manage.
A smaller change delta.

NFP should have been a better quality product in theory, but wasn't. (Presumably the problem was elsewhere).

Anyway both 2K+Firaxis are totally sold on the ideas of Season Passes cos they are totally gung-ho on it now.
Marvel's Midnight Suns hasn't even shipped yet but is already getting a season pass featuring Deadpool. 😏

I'm pretty sure Civ next and all its DLCs/expansions will be in season pass format.

You could technically call the Civ VI Deluxe Edition a Season Pass, as it gave a series of DLCs, doled out every few months. The only thing that made NFP substantially different was the inclusion of Modes, but they aren't really required to consider a group of DLCs as a Pass.

A smaller change delta.

I don't consider NFP to be "smaller updates".

Especially considering the amount of premutation that need to be ensured that function (for each ruleset + game mode).

And that's not considering balance testing.

We didn't get *just* bug fixes in any of these patches, but also new features here and there (like the addition of Trebuchet, Man At Arms and that other infantry that I'm forgetting)

I don't consider NFP to be "smaller updates".

Especially considering the amount of premutation that need to be ensured that function (for each ruleset + game mode).

And that's not considering balance testing.

We didn't get *just* bug fixes in any of these patches, but also new features here and there (like the addition of Trebuchet, Man At Arms and that other infantry that I'm forgetting)

Yeah, NFP added a lot of new content on a fairly tight schedule. Yeah, the first update provided most of the new stuff, but there were still other additions each version. And overall, they did a fairly good job, but there's always something that slips through with that many updates that quickly, no matter how large or small they are.

I feel like they actually intended to follow NFP with another Pass or something, but got cut short by 2K. To me, that explains why they left so many loose ends. Hopefully this new patch they are working on (qa branch update yesterday, by the way) will finalize things in a satisfactory way.

Well, these designers and programmers probably worked on NFP full time for a year or more and maybe they just wanted to do other things. If they wanted to make another season, they probably have to get a team together.

Hey Skyrim works like a charm on my Nintendo Switch. Waiting on an anniversary upgrade sale to play again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom