UFO: Enemy Unknown, remake by Firaxis

Status
Not open for further replies.
It means that you don't get the battleship mission. I believe the train is part of the "Slingshot" DLC. I have been playing "Ironman" without turning it on by just not reloading standard games. Portent is frustrating as it wipes a team usually. You pretty much have to run it with heavy's (rocket) and assaults (Run&Gun) to not die. But Thin Man's Accuracy can still kill you.

Thanks mate for confirming the bug just ruins the "Slingshot" DLC not the entire game.

I like to include the DLC, because I like getting the free Heavy guy (forget his name Chan? ) he's pretty good.
I like completing the Battleship mission too, you never have to worry about alien alloys etc. again :D

Is this bug always there? Does anyone know a way to complete the mission ?

I'm starting my Ironman game again ... I was too tired last night when I played and made some stupid mistakes ... lost my 2 Capt. Level mech's, my Major sniper and Capt. Assault all in one mission :mad:)

This is intended, and is mentioned when you select a continent that you get that bonus at the start - it's the only particular reason to choose one continent rather than another.

Thanks ... like I said, I usually like to start in Asia, I think that has the best starting bonus ... which do you prefer?

Just in case I not the only one who doesn't know ... Just checked in 2K forums, and the apparent work around for the "train not activating" bug is:

When you have your guy in the area, which should start the train and end the mission, just "Save and Quit" then load game back up. This will complete the mission ...

Thanks ... like I said, I usually like to start in Asia, I think that has the best starting bonus ... which do you prefer?

Yes, Asia is pretty much without doubt the best starting bonus, particularly in Enemy Within when you need those squad size and experience upgrades fast.

The continents are actually quite well balanced. North America gives you the most starting cash, and has a decent but not overly impressive bonus. Europe is useful for some carefully chosen opening build patterns where the discount becomes important. Africa generally gives you the best 2-month income. South America is great if you're trying for a very early Alien Base mission. Asia makes the game easier during the crucial early-month-2 period, at the cost of a bit of extra difficulty in months 3 and 4.

I'm honestly very impressed with how viable every continent is as a starting choice, each of which with its own unique priorities and benefits.

The continents are actually quite well balanced. North America gives you the most starting cash, and has a decent but not overly impressive bonus. Europe is useful for some carefully chosen opening build patterns where the discount becomes important. Africa generally gives you the best 2-month income. South America is great if you're trying for a very early Alien Base mission. Asia makes the game easier during the crucial early-month-2 period, at the cost of a bit of extra difficulty in months 3 and 4.

I'm honestly very impressed with how viable every continent is as a starting choice, each of which with its own unique priorities and benefits.

I think south America could do with another country. It actually also offers a science bonus too. If you get xeno biology early you can get a 50% bonus to important tech researches like laser weapons and armor upgrades.

Europe is best for rushing 6 satelites month 2 along with america. Asia is just plain good and helps your squad. And Africa is best for cash.

I just had this happen to me as well :( (with an Assault)

I am curious, when you say the "Ironman save was ruined", what that means?

Does this impact finishing the entire game, or just that you do not get to do the "battleship mission"... this mission is apart of the Portent DLC isn't it?

Please note! I've never finished the game, so if you can answer without any spoilers :) -- thanks!

Of course one can continue after that, but the game is considerably harder without completing the Slingshot campaign - I'd say EW was designed to be played with Slingshot while EU wasn't (in terms of balance). I decided to end that game there and started another one which I just finished.

Agreed. Although with New Economy (the way I usually play) North America is somewhat lacking compared to the others. Africa is the one I've played the most with.

Anyone seen/played this? Its a new mod for Xcom, and i must say its basically like a new expansion pack or DLC. it radically changes the game and adds a ton of new content. I think its very well done. Its also very hard, so for xcom vets its a welcome addition. I always sat between classic and impossible and couldnt really breach the gap. This adds a lot more challeneg, and actually throws you into specific situations that you are not "meant" to win. Here is a brief synopsis:

This mod makes more than 700 changes, large and small, to the vanilla version of the game. It is harder and longer than the vanilla version but gives you many more tools to combat the alien threat.

Some of the changes in this mod include:
An extended campaign requiring far more missions to complete
Tactical missions that allow up to twelve XCom soldiers per mission with the right upgrades
Eight soldier classes: Infantry, Assault, Sniper, Scout, Gunner, Rocketeer, Medic and Engineer, and eight MEC classes: Valkyrie, Marauder, Jaeger, Pathfinder, Goliath, Archer, Guardian and Saburai
New and modified perks, including Ranger, Sapper, HEAT Warheads, Lock N' Load and Javelin Rockets
New and modified technologies, including Xenopsionics, Alien Biocybernetics, Pulse Lasers, Gauss Weapons and Advanced Aerospace Concepts, and many new foundry projects
Five tiers of XCOM weaponry, many new armors and small items and S.H.I.V.s that can be equipped with perk-granting small items!
Much earlier access to psionics and vastly expanded psionics tree
A system of commissioning and promoting XCOM officers who provide bonuses to your entire squad during missions (replaces the Enemy Within medals system)
Overhauled interception game, with five new UFO classes such as the Fighter, Raider and Harvester, as well as six interceptors per continent, foundry projects to upgrade your aircraft, individualized pilot names and pilot experience, and the Stingray Missile weapon system
Overhauled strategy game, in which the aliens gather resources and conduct research -- efforts XCOM must interdict if it hopes to save humanity. XCOM can now retake countries by finding and conquering alien bases in those countries. Help council countries defend themselves by fulfilling their requests for alien technology!
Aliens and EXALT forces grow tougher over time, gaining stats and perks
New weapons for XCOM soldiers
Soldiers rest after each mission, requiring the player to build a much deeper roster of soldiers
Modified Second Wave options to support longer campaigns

And here is the link. Im in my first month and things are going well so far. Although i have lost 3 soldiers. The 10 hit point outsider which has regeneration blasted 2 of my guys in one mission :(

http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/...com/ajax/moddescription/?id=88&preview=&pUp=1

Yeah I started that mod in beta 10 and it's gotten pretty hard lol

Regular XCOM I'd usually have an A and a B team... cause of this mod I've had to use ABCD and all rookie teams. Crazy how difficult some of the missions can be.

Yeah I started that mod in beta 10 and it's gotten pretty hard lol

Regular XCOM I'd usually have an A and a B team... cause of this mod I've had to use ABCD and all rookie teams. Crazy how difficult some of the missions can be.

Totally agree. Now a tacitical withdrawal is a lot more often a good move. i find especially on landed UFOs you can get some very challenging alien groups. On my most recent mission, which is either late month 3 or early month 4, i was dropped in the middle of no cover, then instantly ran into 3 mutons and a muton elite. This necessitated me to fire a shredder rocket from a position of no cover, then use my remaining troops to beat down on the mutons. i killed 3 and left one in the open. Thankfully he ran away, but also into the picture came 3 floaters and another muton. Then the turn after that came 3 seekers.

Ive had to run away from a few missions so far. Exalt missions are also no longer a cake walk. I usually find the best tactic is to let them capture the encoder, line your assault up close to the entrace and everyone else in defensive locations, then when they run in, kill them. Terror missions are also a . Killing chryssalids and zombies in large numbers with only assault rifles is not easy.

But yea, otherwise its a blast, its like a whole new game. I particularly like the additional classes on offer.

I played LW quite a bit back in the earlier days of the mod, but I wasn't that keen on some of the changes they started adding - 8 soldiers per mission and the rest mechanic in particular. I found I wasn't nearly as attached to my soldiers when I had 40 of them, compared to the dozen or so I had in vanilla XCOM, which is part of why I love the game.

That said, I'll probably give LW another go sometime.

I played LW quite a bit back in the earlier days of the mod, but I wasn't that keen on some of the changes they started adding - 8 soldiers per mission and the rest mechanic in particular. I found I wasn't nearly as attached to my soldiers when I had 40 of them, compared to the dozen or so I had in vanilla XCOM, which is part of why I love the game.

That said, I'll probably give LW another go sometime.

Its more the strategic depth i like. Now everything matters a lot more and there are a lot more routes to victory (in Xcom satelite spam was the best tactic, and that was pretty much the only way to victory). My only gripe is that the game is sooooo long.

For this week only, at Gamer's Gate, you can pick up Steam keys for Enemy Unknown for 75% off and Enemy Within for 50% off.

Picked up Enemy Within for sale on steam a little bit ago. Very nice improvements to the game, lots of fun, although the game still feels like it mostly boils down to not 'activating' too many alien squads at a time. Which is unfortunate.

Picked up Enemy Within for sale on steam a little bit ago. Very nice improvements to the game, lots of fun, although the game still feels like it mostly boils down to not 'activating' too many alien squads at a time. Which is unfortunate.

Yeah, pretty much so. In Long War the aliens take the initiative quite a bit more often though.

Yeah, pretty much so. In Long War the aliens take the initiative quite a bit more often though.

Im very impressed with Long War. I think its excellent. Sometimes the curve balls the game chucks at you are really brown trouser times. You have to work so much harder as well and theres so many strategic options it makes the vanilla game look almost laughably childish.

Currently im in September and not doing too badly. I have found the best way to manage satellites is to only cover one continent and leave it that until you have beefed up all your interceptors (firestorms are a pipe dream for me at the moment). I love the new class system too. Had a rather nasty abduction just now. Swarming alien threat. Had a group of 5 floaters to begin with - which wasnt too bad. Then a totally stupid group of 2 Mechtoids, 4 Mutons, and 2 sectoids (probably 2 groups). I seriously contemplated legging it, but like a true commander i rocketed those alien es back to oblivion.

I'm a steam achievement junky... I've read that Long War disables achievements (like most mods), but then I saw somewhere else that it doesn't. Anyone know for sure?

I'm a steam achievement junky... I've read that Long War disables achievements (like most mods), but then I saw somewhere else that it doesn't. Anyone know for sure?

Not sure. Although i just completed a "Heavy" alien abduction mission in 2 turns. "Heavy" probably equates to "Hard" on vanilla. I tripped a pack of 6 drones on turn 1, killed all of them. Then as my turn ended, i tripped 2 packs of seekers. One had 5 in and the other had 4. Threw a battle scanner with my scout, then one alien greande and one rocket later, they were all dead lol. That might have got me the achievement where you have to complete a mission in less than 5 turns or something. But it didnt.

It doesn't disable all of them, I definitely got the "Shoot down 40 UFO's" achievement while playing Long War. But some of them will be no fun at all in Long War. Win starting on all 5 continents for example, a single game of Long War is so drawn out that you'd have to play for a year to get that one. Also the one for having a soldier participate in every battle, probably impossible in Long War. If you want achievements I wouldn't recommend LW, get all the achieves and then play an LW game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom