1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

UKIP go from strength to strength

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Quackers, Oct 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I don't know.

My best guess is it's because it started as affiliated to a football supporters thing, and, as far as I know, there's no British Football team.

It may be something as simple as that, but it's an interesting question.

2. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

There's a Great Britain team that competes very occasionally at the Olympics.

3. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

You're right! Team GB.

Well, thank goodness for that, then! Phew!

4. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Lying about what? The fact I've never lived in Leeds? I might have previously commented that people have told me I sound like I'm from Leeds. My accent is a weird hybrid of South Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and Weirside, and apparently the outcome is somewhere in the general Leeds-Bradford area. But I've never lived there; I've never even been there. :confused:

"Whatever country" isn't a given, though. That's something people define for themselves. Why are some elements of the Italian far-right "Italian", others "Padanian"? Why are some elements of the German far-right "German", others "Bavarian"? And why do some on the English far-right identify as "British" and others as "English? This is a choice that people make, and the fact that they make it- moreover, when and how they make it- has significance.

Also, I've got to wonder: if UKIP is in phoenix-like ascendancy you proclaim, why do you take every attempt to discuss national and ethnic identities in England as an attempt to put you, personally, on trial? As a matter of accusation and defence, rather than observation and explanation? For somebody who expects to be running the country in a couple of election cycles, you don't exude confidence.

5. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus

It's also because it's essentially an anti-Muslim organisation, and the overwhelming majority of British Muslims - and people who hate them - live in English cities.

6. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

That's not trivial, most non-Western immigrants in the Netherlands live in the cities, but Wilders gets most of his support from the countryside.

7. Flying Pig

True, which is the paradox of UKIP, but in the case of the EDL their popularity matches that of the Muslim population reasonably exactly. They're most active in places like Luton and Bradford, for example.

8. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

OK, we've passed the thousandth post. So, 'UKIP go froms trength to strength, Part II'?

Anyway… Quackers, I can sell you some straw at reasonable prices.

9. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

Indeed. The 'problems' of multiculturalism seem to mainly be a concern for people that don't live in multicultural areas.

Or we could just let the thread die... Open one called 'UK politics' or something instead so we're not confined to looking at publicity shots of Nigel Farage.

10. Flying Pig

Well, that's interesting, because it's true of 'respectable' political groups like UKIP but not really for violent ones like the EDL or the BNP. Nick Griffin's European Parliament seat was NW England and their traditional heartland is places like Burnley - all of which have unusually high Asian populations.

11. Traitorfish

I've read stuff that suggests groups like the EDL are most successful in places that are becoming multicultural. In places that are still overwhelmingly monocultural, racism remains respectable and people vote UKIP; in places that already multicultural, people either get over it or they leave. It requires a particular combination of novelty and immediacy to make people turn to the fash.

Iirc, this was particularly looking at support within different London boroughs, so I'm not sure if it translates in quite the same elsewhere; aside from anything else, London has a large immigrant population since the early 19th century, so you're working with a longer history of multiculturalism than you are in somewhere like Bradford. But it does seem to make a lot of sense.

12. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

In areas with high immigration, immigration is popular, funny that. You would think the immigrants would condemn themselves.

13. Traitorfish

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. You've perceived the veil, there, no doubt. Keen eyes of a hawk, that man.

14. Flying Pig

I think that may be right. Bear in mind that most of the historical immigrant groups in London have in a sense disappeared - people don't really think of descendants of French or Irish immigrants as 'a different culture' any more.

15. Takhisis

Isn't most of UK politics Farage doings?
    Well, Quackers is an immigration hawk.

16. Traitorfish

Don't go falling for that! It's entirely within the interests of the establishment for people to think that Farage is a driving force in British politics, because if "politics" describes only the negotiation of exactly which flavour of Thatcherism we get, the rest of it, the stuff that puts us in this position in the first place, that's just "governance", and is placed beyond question.

17. Takhisis

I know several places in Britain and British Politics! The West End, the East End, Chelsea, Kent, Sussex…

(you know I'm for Anarchy in the UK and down with the monarchy anyway, wee Traitorfishy :))

18. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

Link to video.

Farage schools "know it all" youngsters. What a man. Any audience, any time, any place he will #wreck you.

19. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

20. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

Farage corrects mistakes made 100 years ago:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.