Resource icon

[G&K] Understanding the Zone Of Control (vanilla)

chrin67

Empereur
chrin67 submitted a new resource:

Understanding the Zone Of Control - Understanding the Zone Of Control

Understanding the Zone Of Control
limiting the enemy movements

Introduction

The zone of control (ZOC) is an important aspect of unit movement during combat. The ZOC rule limits the movement of units that are adjacent to enemy units and can be used to protect ranged units, for instance. But misunderstanding this rule may be fatal during a campaign, especially when facing a mobile enemy. This article explains...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
Image uploads

Attachments

• _ZOC_Fig4.jpg
    _ZOC_Fig4.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 64,456
  • _ZOC_Fig3.jpg
    _ZOC_Fig3.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 64,759
  • _ZOC_Fig6.jpg
    _ZOC_Fig6.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 62,990
  • _ZOC_Fig8.jpg
    _ZOC_Fig8.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 62,846
  • _ZOC_Fig7.jpg
    _ZOC_Fig7.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 62,825
  • _ZOC_Fig9.jpg
    _ZOC_Fig9.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 62,916
  • _ZOC_Fig10.jpg
    _ZOC_Fig10.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 62,636
  • _ZOC_Fig12.jpg
    _ZOC_Fig12.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 61,993
  • zoc.jpg
    zoc.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 60,814
More images

Attachments

• _ZOC_Fig14.jpg
    _ZOC_Fig14.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 1,169
  • _ZOC_Fig12.jpg
    _ZOC_Fig12.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 1,411
  • _ZOC_Fig15.jpg
    _ZOC_Fig15.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 61,892
  • _ZOC_Fig14_2.jpg
    _ZOC_Fig14_2.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 62,215
Interesting bit about the embarked units. Thanks for the time. A great deal of strategy is required for protecting embarked units with naval units and it's very nice to see a nice article like this explaining.

Moderator Action: And another image :).

Attachments

• mpattack.jpg
    mpattack.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 65,304
Excellent thread! I didn't know exiting and entering didn't count. I applaud the liberal use of images to illustrate the concepts involved.

Great article! I wish you and the other writers here would re-do the entire Civilopedia.

Great article, I've learned a lot. But I have a question.

Does this rule also apply to embarked combat units of the Songhai?

I believe it does. Songhai units (and embarked Conquistadores) have the special ability that they can't be insta-killed by overrun, but they still can't attack. ZOC is only exerted by units that can attack.

yikes, this can get messy.

thank you for such detail. i'll think a lot more about unit movement and spacing.

Good Work :thumbsup:

Ok I still am not getting this zone of control thing, in the following image (I'm rome, fighting against spain), my archer on the horse tile should in theory be protected by the Legion's ZoC; the spanish warrior must move through two squares protected by the legion in order to get to my archer.

Yet on the next turn, the warrior runs straight through and kills the archer in 1 hit. Why does the ZoC not work in this case?

The first move by the warrior is not entirely within the Legion's ZoC. The ZoC only deals with movements made entirely within it. Thus the warrior uses one movement point by moving from a tile outside of the ZoC to a tile within the ZoC, but then is still able to move, because the first move was not entirely within the ZoC. If the enemy archer were a melee unit, it would not be able to attack your archer, because it moving to the tile one east would be a move from a tile within the ZoC to another tile within the ZoC, which uses up all movement points.

So, from the article:
Only direct moves within the (same) ZOC are affected (red arrows)
Other moves are NOT affected. In particular the rule does NOT apply:
  • if an enemy enters or exits the ZOC (blue arrow)
  • if an enemy exits the ZOC and at the same time enters another ZOC (green arrow)
  • if an enemy exits the ZOC and reenters it later (yellow arrow)

Likewise, you would be able to move your archer to the marsh tile one east of the warrior via the tile one east of the enemy archer, because that first move is not conducted entirely within a ZoC. You are entering a ZoC, not moving within one. Your Legion, on the other hand, would not be able to move to that marsh tile, because its first move would be within the enemy archer's ZoC.

Hope that clears it up. :)

The ZOC rule limits the movement of units that are adjacent to enemy units

this is a key point: the spanish warrior is NOT adjacent to your Legion, so it can enter the ZOC (ZOC rule does NOT apply, yet) and then still move one tile within it, killing the archer!
The spanish archer is blocked by the Legion's ZOC but it does not help :)

if your legion killed the spanish archer on the hill, it would then be protecting your archer from that warrior.

Cool I get it now thanks heaps guys! I feel a little derpy now cause rereading the original post explains it pretty well.

Top Bottom