UNGY-04 Who do they think they are?

Changed my mind about colossus. Shaka has built the oracle, and I am pretty sure he took metal casting. It wasn't code of laws or theology, the religions are still up for grabs, and I don't see to many other good options for him. I don't think the AI chooses mathematics as oracle techs usually.

Changed my mind about colossus. Shaka has built the oracle, and I am pretty sure he took metal casting. It wasn't code of laws or theology, the religions are still up for grabs, and I don't see to many other good options for him. I don't think the AI chooses mathematics as oracle techs usually.

They pick monarchy quite often I believe. However, Shaka didn't revolt yet so metal casting surely is the most likely pick. I agree that we should go for something else--agriculture -> writing seems natural now. Probably followed by a path to our UB. Nicely observed; whether Shaka has made the Oracle isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when quickly browsing a save. :D
Say1988 said:
negatives.

in this situation the close borders diplomatic penalty.
Thanks. :)

-ves and +ves are for diplo modifiers. I often use them as I don't see an easy way to say that otherwise (easy meaning few letters ;)). It seems there are several using it.

Most often the AI picks alpha, monarchy, col, theo, or mc, I've rarely seen anything else. As it isn't one of the first four I guess it's MC :p

Are we planning on any other wonder? The only short to midterm wonders that make sense to me are taj and GL altough GL's biggest boost are the GPP but the 6 beakers would be handy.

It's mostly settling the land, building infra and prevent Shaka from attacking us. MC might be a good choice to pick soon for triremes should Shaka attempt to land units on our island.
Let's hope he founds a religion and he'll be a nice pet dog once we find other AIs. I was once isolated with toku (after rushing gandhi), I even stole a worker from him but we went along nicely and I had no problem with him. I also don't expect any from shaka if we get the same religion.

The GL would be silly--I'd rather just produce wealth worth of 350 hammers instead seeing as we don't even have marble AFAIK. The Taj Mahal is worth considering though. I have a hard time seeing Shaka found a religion unfrotunately. :(

Most likely choices for Oracle are CoL or MC; if confu wasn't founded then its a fair bet he took MC. It would still be nice to get triremes but maybe not as the next tech.

Our best shot is likely to be growing our cities as much as possible as soon as possible.

A city down south that grows slowly working horses and grassland cottages will be pretty useful in the long term.

I'll take that as a no for the Colossus and for settling on Shaka's island. Will play this evening.

Turn 0: Spend a while analyzing the situation, can't see anything to change.

Turn 1: Setback: -15 research.

Turn 2: ToA built.

Turn 3: Settle Uxmal

Turn 4: Pyramids built. Chichen Itza borders expand, revealing that we missed a fish.

Turn 8: Writing in, as is a settler in our capital. Start up a couple of libraries. The settler begins a slow meander to the coast.

Turn 11: A mining accident destroys a mine near Lakamha. I pay five gold to comfort the injured; happiness is tight enough as it is.

Our settler is ready to build.

I decide to hand off here, as I think that a location 1W of the blue circle is best, but would like the team's opinion.

Oh, and the save:

Attachments

• UNGY-04 BC-0600.CivBeyondSwordSave
    131.5 KB · Views: 109
With Mystyfly OOP it looks like I'm UP.

Couldn't load the save. Is this because I'm still running 3.13?

1w of the blue circle is completely useless--we even have horses hooked up already. It doesn't have any food resource nor does it have any possibility of irrigation. The forested riverside plains hill is a much better spot if we're going to settle over there as it has a lot of river squares, a food resource once the borders pop and it could wipe out that barbarian city with culture.

I was thinking about putting a city 1N of the forested fur too. It will be coastal, have a lot of riverside squares, pick up fur for happiness and trades with astronomy and a lot of grassland tiles otherwise hard to claim.

@pigswill; yeah, we're running 3.17. You can open 3.13 saves in 3.17 but not the other way around.

Hmmm. Still haven't got the hang of these durned new-fangled computers.

I've downloaded a third party 3.17 patch which is currently residing in mydocs/mygames/beyondthe sword/mods and doing nothing. Any idea where it might work a bit better?

Heh. I could have sworn someone said something a while back about founding a city to grow slowly while working horses and grassland cottages, but now I can't find it.

After many errors and tedious trials I've finally patched to 3.17 so I've now Got It.

I did indeed suggest a horse/grass city in post #45. Now I'm not so sure (couldn't open the save, didn't realise we had horses already).

Are we planning on keeping the cow/wheat barb city or replacing it (once we've got an army together, that is)?

Rusten's forest plain hill site is one option. Another option is 2SW of there (the plains tile on the river which has no food special but captures every river grassland tile) and later on another city maybe on top of the horses (would it get a bonus hammer for the 'osses?).

I think the forested plain hill could be our future capital. It's perfect for bureaucracy cottage spam, and is central for minimal distance maintenance. Our current capital could become a production/commerce hybrid.
I agree with Rusten's fur city suggestion. Even if the city works just one farm and 3 fur tiles it will be a great commerce city.

I think our next techs are construction and then calendar. After that we might need to self research monarchy.

I think the forested plain hill could be our future capital. It's perfect for bureaucracy cottage spam, and is central for minimal distance maintenance. Our current capital could become a production/commerce hybrid.
I agree with Rusten's fur city suggestion. Even if the city works just one farm and 3 fur tiles it will be a great commerce city.

I think our next techs are construction and then calendar. After that we might need to self research monarchy.
I agree that it's an excellent location for our capital. It has a lot of grassland other than that on the river as well. Furthermore the city 1N of the forested furs can help speed up the cottages.

Tech-wise I agree. I'm still not sure whether we'll be able to trade for monarchy with Shaka but I think we should at least be able to grab alphabet somehow (but grabbing alphabet isn't urgent at all).

Think it might be a good idea taking out the barbarian city with culture rather than force. It's on a hill meaning we'll get a lot of casualties (wasted hammers) and the combat odds won't be too good meaning it's hard to guarantee getting a 10XP unit--it might die.

Another thing; if you didn't play yet change the build in Mutal from an axeman to a granary. That way we'll be able to finish it in 1 turn with the food basket at ~60% (switch to copper).

I agree that it's an excellent location for our capital. It has a lot of grassland other than that on the river as well. Furthermore the city 1N of the forested furs can help speed up the cottages.

Tech-wise I agree. I'm still not sure whether we'll be able to trade for monarchy with Shaka but I think we should at least be able to grab alphabet somehow (but grabbing alphabet isn't urgent at all).

Think it might be a good idea taking out the barbarian city with culture rather than force. It's on a hill meaning we'll get a lot of casualties (wasted hammers) and the combat odds won't be too good meaning it's hard to guarantee getting a 10XP unit--it might die.

Agree with all of it. I'd be inclined to wait on monarchy in the hope of trading for it. I think I'd settle the forested hill (to clarify--the one s of the worker) before the fur site.

Looking forward we'll have good number of mediocre cities which gives us angles with fin is and we have a great choke with Shaka if he gets aggressive.

I think skipping the colosseus was a good call--and a great spot on Shaka and MC.

I'll be on vacation for two weeks starting Friday. I will continue to inundate you people with useless and stupid advice.

Played ten uneventful turns:

600 (T0).Change Mutal from axe to granary,work copper to build in one.

Mutal granary>axe.
Uxmal monument>granary.
Laka library>monument (in build queue).

Workers start chopping out a monument.
Research 60>50 (break even). Maths in 7.

Chich worker>granary.

Mutal pop 4 on happy cap coz of whipping, starve temporarily working cottage instead of pig.

Lakamha monument>rax.
GSpy bidl.

Mayapan monument>granary.
Economy improving (+7g at 50%).

Chich granary>rax.
Feed Mutal.

Mutal axe>rax :smoke:.
Uxmal granary>rax
Maths>Construction.
Research 50>60 (-1g). Construction in 11.

Lak rax>axe.
Mutal happy at pop 5.
GP bidl.

Mayapan granary>library.
Kashi Vishwanish fidl.

Uxmal pops borders.
Its got some new neighbours:

GG bidl.

Our economy:

Mutal completes axe in 2, set to grow in 3. Could build a settler. Didn't want to expand or build many units coz of the economy. Once ball courts are available and we can grow our cities the economy should improve.

Workboat is down south fogbusting a few tiles.

Looks like I lost my turncount and played to 325bc.

No barb activity (one warrior wandering round south).

Top Bottom