Janissary 38
Keshik 39
Legion 10
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 35
Mohawk Warrior 14
Sea Beggar 32
Ship of the Line 30

Legion: high strength swordsman really makes it much easier to put up an early war. Also, it can be excellent defender when AIs DOW on you.

Jaguar: Before the poll, I thought it would be eliminated quickly. I just seldom build warriors. I only build them when I'm about to get IW and upgrade them into swordsmen. Yes, jaguar can be a funny scout, but there are to many good UU around.

@ LordleOz

I suggest you read in the multiplayer thread about the guy who ended up with 2k gold before turn 40 thanks to bullying city states.
----

The Jaguar is a magnificent spam unit for tall empires and since it has a higher strength and promotions count for "unit power" relative to a city state - the healing and woodsmen allow you to bully city states easily. It may be a warrior but its used like a diplomat. If that diplomat was Chuck Norris. Eventually you will upgrade them and those Jaguars will rise to an even higher prominence later on

Battering Ram 21
Camel Archer 26
Carolean 28
Chu-Ko-Nu 35
Companion Cavalry 9
Dromon 14
Foreign Legion 5
Horse Archer 27
Hussar 4
Jaguar 13
Janissary 38
Keshik 39
Legion 10
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 35
Mohawk Warrior 14
Sea Beggar 32
Ship of the Line 30

Repeating my last votes.

-3 Dromon: I'm more focused on trying to get that early religion. Not to concerned about an early navy in single player.

+1 Jaguar. Spammable. fast. upgrades continue throughout the entire game. Works very well for early bullying.

Lordleoz's and Snoopaloop's votes

Battering Ram 21
Camel Archer 26 + 1 = 27
Carolean 28
Chu-Ko-Nu 35
Companion Cavalry 9 - 3 = 6
Dromon 14
Foreign Legion 5
Horse Archer 27
Hussar 4
Jaguar 13
Janissary 38
Keshik 39
Legion 10
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 35
Mohawk Warrior 14
Sea Beggar 32
Ship of the Line 30

Upvote: In vanilla, the Camel Archer was a poor man's Keshik, because promoting it with logistics meant that it was difficult to move from safety into attack position, fire twice, and then move back to safety in the same turn.

However, Gods and Kings gave the Knight an additional movement point, which makes it easier for the Camel Archer to adopt the same hit and run tactics that makes the Keshik so effective.

Downvote: As much as I like Unique Units with more movement than the units they are based on, I really want more creative special abilities than just more combat power or increased Great General spawning...or maybe the competition is getting pretty intense and the Companion Cavalry is just simply not the best choice in a group full of better choices.

Battering Ram 22
Camel Archer 27
Carolean 28
Chu-Ko-Nu 35
Companion Cavalry 3
Dromon 14
Foreign Legion 5
Horse Archer 27
Hussar 4
Jaguar 13
Janissary 38
Keshik 39
Legion 10
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 35
Mohawk Warrior 14
Sea Beggar 32
Ship of the Line 30

Down - Its getting interesting. Companion Cavalry. I'll fully accept that the one time I played them was only able to build 3 and thats tough to judge. However, not having a unit upgrade to it hampered it quite a bit when coupled with its high build cost.

Up - Only playing against the battering ram in AI hands I wasn't overly impressed. Then I got to use it. WOW. Even without the horse archer I think I could adequately protect it against the AI. All you need is two and with low production costs you can easily build three. First time on emperor I rolled Atilla and ate through my continent, including city states, with ease.

Given how easy early conquest was with the ram, I'm eager to give the Dromon another shot based on testimonials in this thread.

Battering Ram 22
Camel Archer 27
Carolean 28
Chu-Ko-Nu 35
Companion Cavalry 4 (+1)
Dromon 14
Foreign Legion 5
Horse Archer 27
Hussar 1 (-3)
Jaguar 13
Janissary 38
Keshik 39
Legion 10
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 35
Mohawk Warrior 14
Sea Beggar 32
Ship of the Line 30
CC: I can't be too hard on a horse unit.
Hussar: Yes, I can.

Battering Ram 22
Camel Archer 27
Carolean 28
Chu-Ko-Nu 35
Companion Cavalry 4 (+1)
Dromon 14
Foreign Legion 5
Horse Archer 27
Jaguar 13
Janissary 38
Keshik 39
Legion 11
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 35
Mohawk Warrior 14
Sea Beggar 32
Ship of the Line 30

Hussar 0

Legions are awesome. Not only do they kick a's in combat, but they can build forts and roads (!!) too? Epic!

As for Hussars: I've played as Austria, and I found them completely underwhelming. I am surprised they lasted so long.

Battering Ram 22
Camel Archer 27
Carolean 28
Chu-Ko-Nu 35
Companion Cavalry 4
Dromon 14
Foreign Legion 2
Horse Archer 27
Jaguar 13
Janissary 38
Keshik 39
Legion 12
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 35
Mohawk Warrior 14
Sea Beggar 32
Ship of the Line 30

Don't have enough experience with other units to vote but I just wanted to say I'm absolutely baffled that the B-17 got eliminated so quickly.

The fact that they can get air repair after just 2 promotions and have extra evasion means that they can literally attack continuously every turn without having to stop and heal from the moment you make them if you have armouries (which you should) regardless of if the enemy has anti-air units. Normal bombers can't pull that off.
I've single-handedly won wars on immortal against the strongest Civs because of these guys. Sometimes I even lost my oil halfway through the war but still came out on top (although the damage had already been done).

Battering Ram 22
Camel Archer 27
Carolean 28
Chu-Ko-Nu 35
Companion Cavalry 4
Dromon 14
Foreign Legion 2
Horse Archer 27
Jaguar 13
Janissary 38
Keshik 40 +
Legion 12
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 35
Mohawk Warrior 11 -
Sea Beggar 32
Ship of the Line 30

+Keshik: they are soo good its boring. Still slightly better than CA (which I think second best)
- Mohawk warriror. They are better used for defence. If you go IW you want offence. If you do not have forest at the target city they comptletly suck.

Wabango strikes again.

Battering Ram 22
Camel Archer 27
Carolean 28
Chu-Ko-Nu 35
Companion Cavalry 4
Dromon 14
Foreign Legion 5
Horse Archer 27
Jaguar 13
Janissary 38
Keshik 40
Legion 11
Longbowman 39
Minutemen 35
Mohawk Warrior 11
Sea Beggar 32
Ship of the Line 30

Don't have enough experience with other units to vote but I just wanted to say I'm absolutely baffled that the B-17 got eliminated so quickly.
It is one unit I've never looked at. Reminds me of Civ III.
Battering Ram 19 (-3)
Camel Archer 27
Carolean 28
Chu-Ko-Nu 35
Companion Cavalry 4
Dromon 14
Foreign Legion 5
Horse Archer 27
Jaguar 13
Janissary 38
Keshik 40
Legion 11
Longbowman 40 (+1)
Minutemen 35
Mohawk Warrior 11
Sea Beggar 32
Ship of the Line 30
BR: Sounds better on paper, the kind that gets flushed.
LB: I just plain like it.

Battering Ram : Replaces spearman, +19 production cost/ +38 faith cost, -1 combat penalty, free Cover 1 promotion, +300% combat bonus versus cities, no defensive terrain bonus, -33% defending penalty, -1 visibility, may only attack cities, no bonus versus mounted units, upgrades into trebuchet -3 cannot attack units
Camel Archer : Replaces knight, replaces standard knight attack with 21 ranged combat and 17 melee combat scores
Carolean : Replaces rifleman, free March promotion
Chu-Ko-Nu : Replaces crossbowman, may attack twice per turn, -4 ranged combat penalty
Companion Cavalry : Replaces horsemen, +2 combat bonus, +1 movement, increased great general generation
Dromon : Replaces trireme, -2 combat bonus but the only ranged unit of his group(10 ranged combat bonus), bonus vs naval(50%) but loses his bonus when upgraded +1 ranged attack is very helpful!
Foreign Legion : Replaces great war infantry, +20% combat bonus outside friendly territory
Horse Archer : Replaces chariot archer, +1 melee combat bonus, rough terrain no longer consumes all movement, free Accuracy 1 promotion, does not require horses.
Jaguar : Replaces warrior, +33% combat bonus in jungles and forests, heals 25 health whenever it kills a unit, free woodsman promotion
Janissary : Replaces musketman, +25% combat bonus on the attack, heals 50 health when it kills an enemy unit
Keshik : Replaces knight, replaces standard knight attack with 16 ranged combat and 15 melee combat scores, +1 movement, increased great general generation, +50% experience earned
Legion : Replaces swordsman, +3 combat bonus, can construct roads and forts.
Longbowman : Replaces crossbowman, +1 ranged.
Minutemen : Replaces musketman, ignores movement terrain penalties, free drill 1 promotion
Mohawk Warrior : Replaces swordsman, +33% bonus in forests or jungles, requires no iron
Sea Beggar : Replaces privateer, free coastal raider 2 and supply promotions
Ship of the Line : Replaces frigate, -15 production cost, +5 melee combat bonus, +7 ranged combat bonus, +1 sight

Battering Ram 16
Camel Archer 27
Carolean 28
Chu-Ko-Nu 35
Companion Cavalry 4
Dromon 15
Foreign Legion 5
Horse Archer 27
Jaguar 13
Janissary 38
Keshik 40
Legion 11
Longbowman 40
Minutemen 35
Mohawk Warrior 8
Sea Beggar 32
Ship of the Line 31

Ship of the Line: It has both melee and ranged combat bonuses and is cheaper to build. I love using ships to attack coastal cities, especially in renaissance period. Also don't forget the English has ocean starting bias.

Mohawk Warrior: a decent defending UU but is just like ordinary swordsmen when you launch an attack since it's hard to find enemy city built adjacent to forests. the main purpose of researching IW is to go aggressively.

Battering Ram 16
Camel Archer 27
Carolean 28
Chu-Ko-Nu 35
Companion Cavalry 4
Dromon 15
Foreign Legion 2 (-3) The weakest unit left. Comp. Cav. alter combat calculus in their era, Legions can do dirty work in lieu of workers, and mohawks can at least play some serious Defense and mount a legit spam rush. Foreign Legion just get a 20% boost... and only in foreign lands... meh.
Horse Archer 28 (+1) A legit contender for second best UU. Requires no horses. Amazing.
Jaguar 13
Janissary 38
Keshik 40
Legion 11
Longbowman 40
Minutemen 35
Mohawk Warrior 8
Sea Beggar 32
Ship of the Line 31

@ Vets - I tried to save the B-17 earlier. Its a unit that did not deserve to get eliminated. Like you said its possible to build B-17s with both logistics and air repair right from the initial build. Oh and the fact they have more strength, extra sight, and evasion makes them practically stealth bombers many techs before stealth bombers come around. B-17s just annihilate anything. If you let a competent America player survive in any multi game to that point - its game over. It is baffling they were elimed so early to me too. My guess is that most people haven't tried them and therefore never gave them the chance. The AI can be so incompetent that in singleplayer you don't always need airpower. But - B-17s are just miles away better and if you think artillery can beat a competent AI if they used them - think again [Thank god the Ai isn't for yall :p].

Which is why I don't understand the love of the sea beggar. Its a good unit yes - but its extra promotions don't give it as much as an advantage as something like the B-17 can (Logistic and Air Repair + evasion + extra strength = basically 2 stealth bombers for the price of one bomber many techs earlier). And with the Prize Ship promotion coming soon - Ranged ships still do the trick much better.

Battering Ram 16
Camel Archer 27
Carolean 28
Chu-Ko-Nu 35
Companion Cavalry 4
Dromon 15
Foreign Legion 2
Horse Archer 29 (+1). This guy. He just kills everything. He has amazing ranged strength compared to his hammer cost, he has amazing mobility and can move well in rough terrain. He starts with an open terrain promotion leading to march very quickly. And once you get a bunch of them and your cities grow you can produce these cheap units with your additional hammer bonus from pastures even faster. Use them as easy to promote Zergs and just kill everything in your way. Enemies are distracted by your deadly battering ram near their cities while your horse archers do all the real work and a horseman finishes the city offJaguar 13
Janissary 38
Keshik 40
Legion 8 (-3) I honestly think both of the swordsment UUs are the weakest UUs left on this list. The question is which is worse. The Legion requires iron, has no carry over promotions, but can build roads. The Mohawk warrior requires no iron, has carryover promotions, is cheaper than a regular swordsman, and synergizes better with the UA/Longhouse. Still needs iron to promote but - allows you to have a melee base to promote up with for later generations while not using iron. Swordsmen in general don't feel worth it anymore
Longbowman 40
Minutemen 35
Mohawk Warrior 8
Sea Beggar 32
Ship of the Line 31

Battering Ram 19
Camel Archer 27
Carolean 28
Chu-Ko-Nu 35
Companion Cavalry 4
Dromon 16
Foreign Legion 0
Horse Archer 29
Jaguar 13
Janissary 38
Keshik 40
Legion 8
Longbowman 40
Minutemen 35
Mohawk Warrior 8
Sea Beggar 32
Ship of the Line 31

Dromon : Been a while that i upvote this one...you already know why. Best ship of the game due to his upgrade path.

Foreign Legion : Agree about being the worst UU left.

Battering Ram 19
Camel Archer 27
Carolean 28
Chu-Ko-Nu 35
Companion Cavalry 4
Dromon 13
Horse Archer 29
Jaguar 14
Janissary 38
Keshik 40
Legion 8
Longbowman 40
Minutemen 35
Mohawk Warrior 8
Sea Beggar 32
Ship of the Line 31

Same votes again. reasons remain the same.

"You have denounced the Byzantines."

Battering Ram 19
Camel Archer 27
Carolean 28
Chu-Ko-Nu 35
Companion Cavalry 4
Dromon 14
Horse Archer 29
Jaguar 14
Janissary 38
Keshik 40
Legion 8
Longbowman 40
Minutemen 35
Mohawk Warrior 5
Sea Beggar 32
Ship of the Line 31

I'm sorry, I won't let those poor Dromons die so soon! They are wonderful! I find it quite useful on higher levels: if you really won't be getting a religion, forget the crap out of it and start bulding your dromons! One of the strats will work: you either focus on religion if you think you can get one, or you produce a bunch of dromons + cataphracts and start to steamroll the continent. I find it easy to do both (with that, I mean, build the dromon(s) and found a religion. It might be because I play only on emperor, so it is not that harsh. On Deity, forget about religion and get the dromons going on!)

Mohawk warriors are a swordsman replacement, with a bonus on the situational woods and a lack of resource requirement, which I don't find hard to get.

Top Bottom