[Unit] Highlander (Medieval)

LoneGamer

Warlord
Another convert! I converted this for my Scottish civ mod but thought some people might want it as well.

Credit goes to Walter Hawkwood and the mod team behind Battle of Hastings for doing the unit graphics(Battle of Hastings is the one with the war paint). lemmy101 and CaptainBinky for creating Nexus Buddy. Deliverator for writing up a tutorial and helping me with my questions.

This goes to show you a complete noob can do this thanks to all the people mentioned above. :goodjob:

Attachments

• Highlander.rar
    543.4 KB · Views: 271
that's great to see units coming already !

fantastic job guys :goodjob:

now we have 2 UU without matching civs in vanilla game... hmmm... I wonder if one can make UU for city states...

Excellent job.. And we already have an excellent Scotland map.. Im starting to see a glimmer of light appearing on the horizon

Very nice :)

How long do you think before we get hi-res units exclusively for Civ 5? (not just civ 4 imports)

Well lemmy101 was able to bring in his own captain unit here. If people are good enough with blender/max or other 3d art programs I'm pretty sure this is a go already. All you need is the model/animations/textures and lemmy101's/CaptainBinky's nexus buddy program. I'd love to be able to do this myself but I'm only just learning blender.

Edit: This seems quite interesting. If I can figure out how to do this then in the convert process I could make it more detailed. I'm not even sure if this is possible though but you did raise a few ideas.

Well done LoneGamer - welcome to the conversion club! :)

How long do you think before we get hi-res units exclusively for Civ 5? (not just civ 4 imports)

It's a bit of a myth that Civ 5 units are higher quality to be honest. For example the American Minuteman only has 868 triangles which is lower than a lot of Civ 4 units and the Civ 5 unit textures are still 128x128 in many cases. The top quality Civ 4 units should stand up well.

At the moment there is no way to rig custom models to Civ 5 vanilla animations so Civ 4 conversions is the easiest way to get animated units in. No idea if we'll be able to find a way of using the vanilla Civ 5 animations any time soon.

My next two questions are:

1. How easy is it (time-wise) to convert units to Civ 5?

2. Should I update my request post in the Unit Request Thread with specific units from Civ 4 to be converted?

Well done LoneGamer - welcome to the conversion club! :)

My next two questions are:

1. How easy is it (time-wise) to convert units to Civ 5?

2. Should I update my request post in the Unit Request Thread with specific units from Civ 4 to be converted?

1. Well it took me about a day to get this done. Thank you bad weather. I have had no experience with blender or any of this so take that into consideration. Also now it would take me about 15 minutes to convert 1 unit with 1 animation, depending on how many .dds it uses. The time adds up when you have to export each animation in an .fbx and then use the nexus buddy to export each animation to a .gr2.

2. You can but I'd suggest you take a look at Deliverator's tutorial and have a go at it yourself. It may seem like a lot but once you understand it it's quite simple.

Any chance you could do a conversion of the Marine into Civ5?

I think Jaythekiller is working on this right now. I've seen it mentioned here but yes its possible. I'm currently working on a dynasty wars mod so I'll let jay finish it up but here is a teaser.
Spoiler :

Very nice conversion!:goodjob:

But you credited me, I must admit had nothing to do with creating this unit! I believe that this is all Walter Hawkwood's work so he should get all credit for creating it.

Hey, nice work. :goodjob:

A question though, would simply using the Firaxis' .dds file(s) for the swordsman in CiV work? Or do those need to be converted too?

I think Jaythekiller is working on this right now. I've seen it mentioned here but yes its possible. I'm currently working on a dynasty wars mod so I'll let jay finish it up but here is a teaser.

I'm not working anymore on it, as i saw you had posted yours

I've converted anti tank infantry,in replacement

So I'll let you finish it yourself ;)

Very nice conversion!:goodjob:

But you credited me, I must admit had nothing to do with creating this unit! I believe that this is all Walter Hawkwood's work so he should get all credit for creating it.

My bad. I will fix that, and thanks for letting me know :D

Hey, nice work. :goodjob:

A question though, would simply using the Firaxis' .dds file(s) for the swordsman in CiV work? Or do those need to be converted too?

I'm not sure I understand. The way it works to convert units is you load the .nif, .dds and .kf files in blender, make the changes needed then export the .fbx and use nexus buddy for the rest. The .dds files stay the same from what I see.

Civ 4 DDS files work fine in Civ 5. In other words, no conversion is required on the textures themselves.

Blimey! Why haven't I seen this unit before!? And you were a complete noob when you started? This makes me want to convert units too! I have all the required stuff installed, I just have to get clicking at it.

I will probably have use for this unit too. Great stuff!

Top Bottom