Unit pack: 6 ships (posted 1st oct, 2005)

A very nice piece of work. A wide array of ships that could have a lot of uses. Thankyou for sharing them. :goodjob:

Ogedei_the_Mad said:
Very nice. Just one question - does that Cargo Junk have an attack animation? If it does, then I can use it for a Korean Galley.
Yes, all the ships have attack animations. Actually, the cargo junk and war junk have both arrow and cannon attacks, so you can use them in more than just one age ;) :p

On the contrary, Aaglo, those two first ones look a lot like Korean vessels. That first one would also work great as a P'anokson. :)
Yep, they look like Korean ships, but the names of those ships came from an old pc-game. I remember googling those names for pictures two years ago, and nothing came up (except some images from that old game) :D

One thing: The La Reale (a common name for flagships in the 17th century) was a galley, not a galeass. The most remarkable difference is the armament: Galleys attack head-on, firing their cannons from the bow. A galeass is much slower but fires broadsides, resulting in much more damage per attack.

What´s the differenc between galley and galeass?
And what´s the difference between a dromon and a galley, apart from the stats ;)?

Takhisis said:
What´s the differenc between galley and galeass?

We're talking about the 16/17th century here.

Galeass:
Bigger, higher, heavier, often three masts. They could carry much more armament and the cannons were mounted on the broadsides of the ship. First used in the battle of Lepanto 1571 against the Ottomans. One galeass (from italian: galea grossa) was assumed to have the combat power of 5 galleys.

Galley: Lighter, smaller, more agile. Main armament mounted in the front (bow).

An Atakebune was a large medieval Japanese warship. It didn't have sails. It was only oar powered.

"Tekkosens" were actually smaller than the latter and were a type of Japanese ironclad used in the 16th century.

Still, those are some great units.

You're right. The Ataka Bune did not have sails and was indeed driven by oars. :) But I don't think the inaccuracy is much of a problem. "Tekkousen" (also called "Tessen" 鉄船) ships utilized in the battles of Kizugawaguchi in the late Sengoku era were O Ataka Bune ("Great Ataka Bune") and were considerably larger than the standard class of Ataka Bune warships. They were very strong ships, but had one fatal flaw - they were pretty clunky and unstable.

Speaking of which, I've seen it spelled "Ataka Bune." :)

Ogedei_the_Mad said:
You're right. The Ataka Bune did not have sails. But I don't think the inaccuracy is much of a problem. "Tekkousen" ships utilized in the late Sengoku era (also called "Tessen") were O Ataka Bune ("Great Ataka Bune") and were considerably larger than the standard class of Ataka Bune warships.

Speaking of which, I've seen it spelled "Ataka Bune." :)

Yeah, spelling is nightmare when it comes to googling up good information on these things.

Atakabune spelling seems to be used only in that game Aaglo talked about.
I guess thats why it was so hard to google up on it. I only managed to find an artical on Wikipedia about both ships where it was spelled Atakebune.

I'm almost certain these came from the old Age of Sails RPG series, Uncharted Waters, or the sequel in particular. Except for the differentiation between those two types of Junk, the other four appear exactly as they did in that old game.

The animations are fantastic though, seeing those old 2D pixelated images coming to life in rendered animation is awesome.

Those ships are in Uncharted Waters: New Horizons for the SNES (and PC). I knew they sounded familiar. Very nice. :goodjob:

Top Bottom