Unit Request Thread

Export the unit to use, for example, in mods of G&K or vanilla, we are so needed of futuristic units.

I'm afraid that such a mod would not be allowed by Firaxis. AFAIK taking element from previous game and add them to the new one is tolerated, but taking element of the newest game to convert them for older version is another story.

For example making a mod that add Religion and Spy in civ5 vanilla from scratch would be okay, but copy/pasting the code and arts from G+K and release it as a mod for civ5 vanilla would be problematic.

Now there is really a grey line here, but I've tried to stay away from it in my own mods (not using the machine guns in R.E.D. WWII, not using danrell's units with G+K animation in R.E.D. Modpack), just to be safe.

Gedemon said:
AFAIK taking element from previous game and add them to the new one is tolerated

Does it mean that converting the original unit graphics from Civ4, like the animals, to Civ5 is acceptable? If so, they would be very useful in some mods (including mine :)).

There is already a wolf unit converted to civ5 IIRC.

But understand that "tolerated" is different than "authorized", I'm not a representative of 2K games or Firaxis, neither is CFC, so we can't speak for them, just give advices.

What I know is that a mod for G+K using preview screens of BNW Wonders and simulating their effects was removed from the steam's workshop a few months ago.

I never heard of such a thing in the other direction.

That doesn't means it will never happen, just that we're not going to remove it on sight, but we will do it if any rights owner asks us.

.... aaaand now we need authorization to mod a game in the damn way we want? welcome on steam...

Anyway. since the title of this thread was "unit request" wanted to ask to pro unit designer if it' s possible to create a "floating Carrier" like the one in Avengers 2
Can script it by myself (actually already done), just need graphics wich i' m kinda unable to work with...

oh... and.. i just read that civ IV unit gaphics can be turned to work in civ V.... how is that possible? if smeone can explain it... i' d like to do so.

ty everyone.

I'd like to do a mod that adds 2 new civilian units - Agitators and Secret Police. Modeled off of Missionaries and Inquisitors, the idea is for late game units that work with the BNW ideology system. Use Agitators in your territory to boost happiness, or send them to foreign territory of a different ideology to decrease their happiness. Use Secret Police to catch and destroy foreign Agitators operating on your territory.

But I can't model. Ideally it would be great to have different models for each ideology (Autocracy looking a bit like brownshirts and SS, Order like communist revolutionaries and KGB, and Freedom looking like Tea Partiers and CIA agents). But one of each would be fine :)

Downstream said:
.... aaaand now we need authorization to mod a game in the damn way we want? welcome on steam...

Copyright applies regardless if we're on Steam or not. You can mod the game any way you like it, but if you publish that mod, there are some legal issues involved.

Copyright applies regardless if we're on Steam or not. You can mod the game any way you like it, but if you publish that mod, there are some legal issues involved.

Moderator Action: Removed part of this post as it is not really appropriate to this thread.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That said, back to civ 5 unit request: I said i Scripted the code part of a hovering carrier but actually i hadn' tested completely; when tried, found out a bug and couldn't make my way through it...

Appears that the "Domain_Hover" doesn' t actually get the unit to hover and the "Domain_Air" turns the unit (used as script basic a merge between Helicopter and Carrier) to be movable but able to cross ANY distance in a single movement counting that limitless movement as a single move (putted 4 movements point as basic, carrier could cross any distance (1 like 1000 hexes) and that movement (irrelevant is 1 hex or 100) was counted as 1 movement.

Also, while trying to get Helicopter to land on carriers (quite a normal thing if u ask me) instead of having them embarked even for a single tile of sea/water; merged fighter/helocopter script.. and had same problem... seems that that thing depend on air domain... or something..

clues? ideas? is the core to be modified to make those things working?

Moderator Action: Please be more civil in your discussion. And please do not use foul language, corrected it for you.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Don't know if these have already been requested, but I would really like to see a texture for a greek galley-type-thing, other than the already existing quinqereme and trireme. I would also like to see axemen reminiscent of those from vanilla civ4, and pre-Columbian swordsman that does NOT look Aztec: like, not wearing jaguar-skin clothing. Maybe something like a jade mask instead?

Or maybe some of those already exist and I just can't find them...

Oh, and...
Everyone seems to be making ancient, medieval, classical, and modern units (plus riflemen), but that leaves out the entire renaissance/industrial time periods. I would really like to see different versions of musketmen, gatling guns, cannons, cavalry, etc. and preferably tailored to look Arabian or from west Africa. But I would like any reskin, really.

I am just wondering what is the reason why not many people are converting civ 4 units to civ 5? With the new NexusBuddy from Deliverator its not that difficult now. Is it because there is not a up to date tutorial or just people don't have the time?:confused:

I am just wondering what is the reason why not many people are converting civ 4 units to civ 5? With the new NexusBuddy from Deliverator its not that difficult now. Is it because there is not a up to date tutorial or just people don't have the time?:confused:

I think it mostly has to with with the fact that civ5 units have a lot more 'bones' than civ4 units so they practically need to completely redo the bone structure and therefore practically create a whole new unit. But that's just my guess.

Yeah you are right there are some weirdly structured civ 4 units. If you are lucky enough to get a properly made unit it is just a matter of renaming the vertex groups to their civ5 bone names and doing a few rotations. That's a big if but.

Anyone willing to do an Australian Digger unit?

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Any chance someone is willing to try their hand at converting this civ4 Russian ZIS-5 truck to Civ5. It seems like a simple enough file (maybe too simple!) but I have not had luck with my attempts.

It is one of the missing links for my Eastern Front mod I am trying to finish.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=178734

Top Bottom