1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unit Requests: Steampunk

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Blue Monkey, Dec 11, 2008.

1. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Google warehouse has this stagecoach model, which is very similar to the pic that is listed in the thread (turbosquid); in which I can replace the static horses with ones that are animated (with 2 and 4 if you need different variations).

2. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

3. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

For time machine, looks like it is a Poser file; although it does have the .obj which can be used with any program. A few of the panel textures (jpg) are included, but are the rest of the textures in the cr2 or rsr files? Can't remember how Poser handles all this stuff. Or does it need to be textured?

Anyways, what is the use for this? Air unit? Land unit? I would need to know what animations to make for it. Default, Run, Attack?, Fidget (hits it with spanner), ??

And do you want the scout to be done as a sniper also or not? I won't finish it if you are looking for something else.

EDIT: For Karameneh, do you like something like this; I haven't altered anything here, but if you want something similar to the posted pic, it can be done.

EDIT 10-5-10:
    Here is how I will make her I suppose. I am going to test how the dress comes out slightly transparent, as is in above pic (see how Civ3 handles it/or if it looks good in game). I just noticed she's an elf with pointy ears! Doh! More plastic surgery.

4. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Re: Scout - usually a scout has no attack anims, so whether you want her to upgrade to sniper is purely up to you. I could arrange that she upgrades, if it helps any; I have that power (bwahahahahaha!!).....

Karameneh: is that one on the left a picture or a unit? It's a beauty. I hadn't thought of how she should look, so she's all yours to design, if you want. She's a seductress and assassin, which gives you lots of leeway.

5. Blue Monkey

I'd say include the attack animations. gives more flexibility to how the unit is used. Surely they'll see application in other scenarios.

6. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Okay, I can render the scout with some generic attack animations.

As for Karameneh, I can make her look pretty close to the pic shown above. It is an AO unit I found, so it should be easy to make minor adjustments to it. I guess a knife would suit her well.

I hope to finish the Banth tomorrow. Some pics show the banth as greenish; most show it looking more closely in color to an Earth Lion; but I'm making it orangish (like a regular lion). But it can be made either way.

EDIT: will look something like this; I still will make some adjustments, but this might be the best I can come up with.

EDIT: Has been posted.

7. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Wow! Wow again! I want to save some superlatives for after you post it, so that's all you get for now....

8. Blue Monkey

I like what i see. The touch of civ color on the tail is a very nice detail, imho.

9. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

In this scenario at least, that touch of civ color will probably be forest green.

10. Blue Monkey

All our thanks to everyone who is working on the scenario with us.

The OP has been updated. Please look to see if something is needed that you would be interested in helping with.

11. polyphemus

polyphemus join the long blue line

12. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

I sent you a PM polyphemus. Let me know what you think. The only thing was having different civ color in the Attack than the rest. I don't believe it should be noticable for the most part, tried to tweak the yellow civ colors to the right spots so they are the same.

** Updated Karameneh in post 343. I will give her knife; if you want her to use any other weapons; let me know Asap before I render her sometime today or tomorrow.

13. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Karamaneh has been posted.

Okay, just to get it straight:

Stagecoach #1: pulled by 2 horses with Driver on top; driver with wide brimmed hat & handy rifle. Stagecoach colors just like in the pic (red, yellow wheels). Civ Color = scarf.

Stagecoach #2: pulled by 2 horses with Driver on top; driver wears top hat (more professional look). Stagecoach is black. Civ Color = lamps.

I can add assistant driver to both; defense for stagecoach, footman for coach.

Adding 2 more horses should be fairly quick and easy. I can do it for one or both as variation. Up to you.

EDIT: Not enough room for an assistant driver on model; see pic. Will leave him out and use just driver.
    Spoiler :

Here's where it's at right now:

14. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

GD you're a fast worker, Tom! I can't get over how perfect that Karameneh is for the character. Good eye, spotting the Atlantica model. I can just imagine the little exclamation of surprise when someone googles that someday.

The coach looks great, but lacks definition (*blurs) somehow at civ scale. Is it possible to differentiate the colors a bit to, say, make the frame a slightly darker shade than the wheels and the door a slightly darker red etc., etc. Of course I'm in perilous territory here because I'm not familiar with the process and you might be thinking "well of course, dummy; I haven't shaded it yet" so take my observation with the block of salt it deserves....

*at my age, everything blurs a little...

15. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

The blur is probably from all the small details on the model. I have the renders set to as crisp as I can figure out how... only crisper method seems to be turning anti-alias' and filtering off, which ends up with complete ugly.

See if this does the trick:

Or with doors darker:

It's as big as it can get, otherwise it extends out of the Civ Circle too much; even right now it goes out a bit into other squares (20% maybe). I have already darkened the yellow undercarriage a bit more, but it's not shown in these.

BTW: the guy's scarf is too small to be seen for civ color... I'm thinking of just making the rear bar on the back-top of the Coach civ color.

16. Ares de Borg

Ares de Borg Norman Knight

17. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

18. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

I will finish the 4 horse stagecoach sometime tomorrow or the next day hopefully, if I have enough time. I'm adding the final touches to some of the animations to make them look a bit more real.

Then once I have the animations done, the 2 Horse and both 2/4 horse Coach versions will only take time to re-color and render.

19. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

20. Wolfshade

Wolfshade Little Winger

Downloaded it (4h). Rated it. Impressed.