1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unit Requests: Steampunk

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Blue Monkey, Dec 11, 2008.

1. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

For the black coach, do you want something like this?

I'm just going to recolor the Stagecoach, and alter the guy to make him wear a top hat and coat, etc... give the side lamps as you mentioned the civ color.

BTW, I just made a stellar discovery (to a learning newb that is) in 3ds that I can't believe I missed before using animation trajectories. :wallbash: I should be able to complete Dejah's animations much easier (and make them more dynamic) now; that I before had almost given up hope on.

2. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Re: Stagecoach - Came out Great looking! Trying it in-game tonight.

Re: Clarence Brougham (Black) coach coloring - Like this, please:

If you need some color variation, consider deep (dark) greens or reds, perhaps.

Re: 3ds trajectory animations. That's what happens. I just learned a de-bugging trick yesterday that should speed me up tremendously, after thousands of hours of doing it another way.. Practice, practice...

3. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

4. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

IIRC you were doing palette corrections on it. He posted about being swamped with RL events. I think it would be okay if you started a thread for him. That's my opinion as a moderator, not just as a member. Maybe put his name in the title as well as the OP?

5. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Sure, I'll send him a PM also, I believe he checks on here regularly still.

Let me know about black Coach, then I'll proceed with rendering it. Horse colors can be changed as well if you want.

6. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

I think the black coach looks excellent, but should have just two horses, IMHO. Grey horses would offset the dark color, perhaps, but that's the artist's (your) option. Is that a civ-colored lantern on the side?

7. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

I can make the horses a grayish color. The lantern on the coach was a bit small... The lantern is actually slightly below the civ color line to the left. I can enlarge it a bit instead and civ color it with no problem.

I'll be doing the 2 Horse as well.

8. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Cool. I can sleep easy. Should have a screenshot of your stagecoach in action tomorrow.

9. polyphemus

polyphemus join the long blue line

I have some free time right now so I'll post it. Thanks for the help tom!

Edit: Posted!

10. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Check out the 4-Horse Black Coach and let me know if you want any changes for the 2 Horse before I start it. If you want it more 'Black colored' or not; because the 4-Horse ended up being a bit more colorful than I thought it would, although I used mostly dark green.

11. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

I've begun again animating Dejah to try to get her finished. I've decided to perhaps have her in Attack1 throw the knife, Attack2 attack with sword, and Attack 3 firing the gun. But, is Dejah red enough here? I reddened her up a little a bit, it's easy to redden her a bit more if you want.

12. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

I'd personally be more concerned about shadow (definition) than color, Tom. She looks red enough to me. Is she the right height? She looks a tad small.

13. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Perhaps a little taller, since Carter is not standing up straight.

EDIT: I enlarged her a bit here, so she isn't so small as she was :)

14. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

15. Blue Monkey

The OP is updated to reflect what is done & what is still needed.

16. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Dejah is finished, but she looks over-contrasted in game, for some reason, although she doesn't look that way in Flicster. I am tempted to re-render her with a different skin-tone color, but do you want to check her out first Balthasar or BM and see what you think first? That's probably why I originally subliminally gave her a darker shade like in post 371. I'll PM you the file if you want to check it out first, and let me know what you think. Maybe it's just my monitor playing eye-tricks on me.

17. Blue Monkey

You can send her to me. But Balthasar's preference is definitive.

18. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

Hey guys, someone pointed out that one of my recent units looked kind of like Alice from Alice in Wonderland, so I decided to make a few quick modifications to the unit and see if you guys might be able to use her:

Version 1

Version2

Also, Blue Monkey asked me to turn the Mirror-bound Alice into a unit for him. Since he's such a good pal and everything, I even decided to use Animation Shop to add a simple shimmer effect to create a fidget animation:

I even made a proper Units_32.pcx file for it.... Blue Monkey has the original files that he used to creat this unit from, so I'll let him handle the Civilopedia icons. ;)

19. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Balam-Agab came up with an Alice Model that we really liked, based on American McGee's Alice -

But Balam is buried under schoolwork at the moment and might take awhile to finish his version. So, remembering that "two Alices are better than one" and lot of other little sayings that remind that it would be a good idea to have a backup -

I made up a diagram of what you could do to modify your unit to look like Alice. Not all that much, actually:

Whattdya think?

20. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

Well, interestingly enough, I actually have an apron fig for Aiko3 that was part of an Alice set that looks exactly like Balamb's version.... I also have a ribbon sash from a Ballerina set that I bought off DAZ years ago, and as for the boots.... I have a short set of flat boots with buckled straps as well as a pair of calf-high, high-heeled boots with buckled straps I could substitute for the current boots. Finally, the gloves are a separate figure, so I could just delete that...

Also, what does the Vorpal Knife look like? I happen to have a TON of swords, daggers, knives, K-BAR's and other bladed weapons, and IMO, with the Knife, she could be used for a lot more mods than the Croquet mallet version...

Oh, and about the striped hose, that isn't really doable, unless I can find some such texture maps on Renderosity... I have at least two figures that have pre-set striped STOCKINGS, but the stripes aren't really visible at Civ-unit scale, due to being entirely too thin.... I could give her solid black tights, however.....

I'll post an updated pic later.... My gaming/rendering computer is currently working on Rendering a unit request for Nick1501 (Wood Elf mage re-coloring of my Garnet unit), so I can't do anything in Poser until that gets done (To give an idea of how much system resources Poser hogs up, the unit in question would have been done rendering last night, but when I checked on it this morning, I saw a "Poser is out of Memory" error, and when I used Task Manager to shut Poser5 down, it was using 1.8GB out of 2.5 GB total system memory... Thankfully it was only the final animation that ended up overflowing the memory, but still....).

Edit: here's the pic: