Unit Requests: Steampunk

I thought that was a private discussion. Also, given the timeline for posting a beta vs. my learning curve, if someone wants to try their hand they're welcome, per discussions in the private team forum. Doesn't mean I'm not going to do it, just don't want to hold the scenario back.

. . .but if you, Vuldacon, have the miniscule amount of time that it would take for you to give us a basic animation for the Cavorite Sphere I'm sure that Blue Monkey would have no problem shifting his attention to a different unit (to animate Propeller Island, for instance); and I'm sure we'd be happy to name a city in Barsoom after you for your trouble. We really need that Cavorite sphere. Literally every other unit pales by comparison in terms of absolute certainty of need. That's why I begged Wyrmshadow to make it in the first place and all I got was a model. What does a guy have to do around here to get a floating ball animated, anyway? I'm not directing this at you, personally, Vuldacon, by the way; your Tardis has more than earned you a seat on the board, but......well....Jeezel Petes!

I just had an entirely disconnected thought to that: if it is possible to give naval units the paradrop ability (and it seems to be, interestingly) that could be used to "launch" the sphere, and eliminate the need to launch it from a seaside location... am I not correct?

That's why I begged Wyrmshadow to make it in the first place and all I got was a model. What does a guy have to do around here to get a floating ball animated, anyway?

No you didn't. You're a poor salesman then because I did not get that impression.

I guess I could do it..
PM the animations you'd like to see, and make me a small picture of how big you'd like to see it. Shadow or no shadow?
I'm just confused as to the attack, death and paradrop? animations.

That would be a Very Easy Unit to animate even with special effects added.

Starting in February, I started working on CCM and then AoI. Thousands of images and files of all types. Almost completed but I have got to get back to Finish EFZI2 Complete.

I have a few other Promises such as Finishing the Blizzard Unit and just not enough time in a Day even though I only sleep 5 hours out of 30 If I a Lucky.

I think Wyrmshadow did a Great Job on the Model and IF the unit animations are not made for any reason, I will do it but that will be a while before I have the time :)

I just had an entirely disconnected thought to that: if it is possible to give naval units the paradrop ability (and it seems to be, interestingly) that could be used to "launch" the sphere, and eliminate the need to launch it from a seaside location... am I not correct?

I tested something similar in trying to create aircraft that can drop immobile naval mines into the sea. The naval mine (sphere) could be loaded onto an aircraft (and even tested with it doing it's own paradrop), but even being a sea unit, whenever or where-ever it lands in the sea, it would get immediately destroyed (saying paradrop failed, just as a land unit paradropping on another land unit). Very very unfortunate, of course I did not test every single possibility, but I wasn't sure how else to test it.

Tom

No you didn't. You're a poor salesman then because I did not get that impression..

Then you have my sincere apology. That stuff I wrote, that was just venting and I know I shouldn't do that and I didn't really mean to say all that. Really.

I guess I could do it..
Really? coool. You won't regret it....

PM the animations you'd like to see, and make me a small picture of how big you'd like to see it.
The Gif I made had it about the size of a hot air balloon - I seem to remember it being about that size, top to bottom..

Shadow or no shadow?
Shadow.
I'm just confused as to the attack, death and paradrop? animations.

Let me put my head together with Blue Monkey and King Arthur, and we'll be back to you with that in a lambs tail shake.

checkout the steampunk unit line thread in the subforum.

So I've been thinking of making the scout unit, but the only thing im stuck at atm is the long coat/jacket used by the guys. I can't make clothes of my own, and provided figures at the tutorial page don't really seem to do it for me...

I use poser 7, wich should make it somewhat easier to find clothes, except especially for a longer coat its very hard to make the skeleton correctly, and make it move correctly with the paperdoll..

One solution is to use an airman's jacket (short) rather than a long jacket. Have you seen >this post< in this thread? "Compass Rose" might make an interesting scout, and there are far too few female Civ units available. Sillof makes plastic figures rather than 3D models, but I'm very fond of his (or her!) steampunk stuff - worth looking at for ideas. In the meantime, I have some steampunk - related poser props in a drawer somewhere, I'll look to see if I can send some to you (if they're compatible with poser 7 - is there a way to know?) BTW, I couldn't be happier at your interest in this, you're one of my favorite unit makers.

Yes, long coats are difficult. I think there are two main ways of doing it. The first is to use one of Kinboat's Japanese garments (sorry, I don't have them on this computer so I don't remember the name). I used it for my Asian wizards units. It conforms to the PDM's thighs, so basically you can have a long coat that goes down to the knees but no further. The figure is not perfect though, and you can get odd effects if the character's legs move too far, which is why my Asian wizards walk rather than run.

The second method is to use the fur cape figure that Kinboat used for his Germanic spearman, and which I used for my Orthodox Priest and Necromancer (with the fur removed). This is poseable figure which you can move yourself to make it flap about etc. It is fiddlier than a conforming figure but you can get good results if you want a big, heavy coat (make the character's arms stick out of it and give him sleeves in the same texture to achieve the right effect). The figure is available here (go to Goodies, then 3D and Poser, and scroll down until you get to the Fur Cape).

A third way is to use dynamic clothing. I've seen Neo-style coats, for example, where the bottom half is just dynamic cloth. It would probably be possible to rig up something like this but animating that sort of thing is a nightmare.

I could use Kinboats Aviendha figure (found in his human model for poser topic) and give her a gun, some goggles with the monocle scope, and animate her. That is, if you think the model is OK. I could use the cloth wrapped around her head (however its called, not a native english speaker >.>), but I could also leave that out and just give her some hair...

or I could try to use the fur cape recommended by plotinus and continue trying to make a male char scout...

Update, free long coats:
Long Coat - Poser 5 / dynamic
Dynamic Coat : 1 Coat Prop with Textures (M3)close to bottom of page
Duster - also search for another duster version for Michael. Also try "colonial" as a keyword for some interesting stuff.

Also, I know there is a thread around here explaining how to use the free Apollo Maximus character for units. Possibly there are some free clothes for him that would be suitable.

More long jacket suggestions: perhaps >this< or >this< or >this< or >this< or >this< would do?

Just my opinion, but for the scout I really prefer a Vicky to an Aviendha with the huge butt. With boots, bomber jacket, aviator's cap, and goggles - well, like the picture, I guess. Like I said, just my opinion, you're the expert unit guy here....

Oh. Well if the coat in question should become handy, at least we know where to get the appropriate textures. I might as well post a link to a file containing the rest of what I found yesterday, mostly free stuff from Renderosity, but including some actual steampunk props (like a gentleman's cane and a bullwhip). All 95mg of it is >here< Took 15 minutes to upload, certainly longer to download...

Just my opinion, but for the scout I really prefer a Vicky to an Aviendha with the huge butt. With boots, bomber jacket, aviator's cap, and goggles - well, like the picture, I guess. Like I said, just my opinion, you're the expert unit guy here....

whats a.. Vicky.. ?

A Victoria model. I read >here< that it comes with the basic DAZ3D free starter kit.
Didn't mean to confuse you, I just meant that Kinboat's Aviendha model sure has a lot of hips, thighs, and butt on her.... so I was being funny, it didn't work - let's move on...

Blue Monkey wasn't able to download the props file I linked to two posts ago. Did you or anyone else have the same problem? Opened up fine for me a moment ago, but maybe that's because I have an account at DivShare? I don't know.

I know almost nothing about 3D modeling, really, and that makes me a dangerous man. My best advice is that you shouldn't listen to me on the subject of unit modeling at all!

Top Bottom