Unit Requests: Steampunk

ruby_sauce: you can get Vicky free at daz. There is also a free outfit for her here which might work well, with a few minor changes. You might want to pick up Michael as well (he's also free at Daz) as he has a large slection of clothes as well.

oh, I love the recources I'm getting, when I get back home and when i have some time I'm gonna check them out.

Its kind of a busy week because my first year of university is starting :eek: and I got all these introduction stuff and first lectures and whatnot, and my days are kinda long >.>

but if I got time I'll check it out, shouldn't be for too long...:p

Would any of these be useful for the Dejah Thoris you are looking for?

I already released 1 of these, but these versions have brownish/red hair (could be changed to blonde also). Weapon looks more like a knife or blade than a sword.
Females.jpg

Also looks like a short sword or blade, but converting colors to civ colors on her may be tough because the cape/clothes are same tone as her skin, but I'd have to look at the palette and check it out.
queenellisime.gif

Tom

Unfortunately I've never seen Dejah Thoris without long black hair, and I can't find a single image of her with shorter hair. Surely somewhere in that wonderful cache of units you're drawing from is one with one of those sensational bodies and long hair. They can't all have Audrey Hepburn hairdos (cute as that is)....

This is not necessarily just for you, Tom, but please take note:

We need these four units for the mod; I've figured out a way that each could be made without having to create them from scratch:

1. Static, Immobile Unit: Coffin

2. Make the Invisible Man from Kinboat's Sherlock, by removing head, hands, umbrella, and having the rest of him "fade out" when fortifying... extra points if head and hands fade back in during death sequence.

3. I've improvised a Jeckyll/Hyde unit, but need the scientist to morph into the Zombie Monster when fortifying, and to change back to scientist during death sequence. Extra points for changing color of scientist's lab coat to look more "Victorian", though not essential.

4. To make a Barsoomian Rykor-Kaldane from Plotinus' Iroquois Worker (by removing the head). The Rykor is the headless worker. The Kaldane is a brain (Vuldacon's) on a Spider's (Black Widow's) body. In the John Carter stories, the Kaldane controls the Rykor by sitting on it's shoulders. Extra points if the Kaldane runs away when the Rykor dies. Here's a Frazetta illustration of it:

In order (I think) of difficulty; and as I said, none of these (necessarily) requires any 3D modeling, and would have immediate use in the mod. This request is extended to anyone who wants to give it a try, of course.

I put together a more select gallery for the Vernian Capsule in order to focus some design discussions we were having in the brainstorming thread:

thumbnail

In the computer animation class I'm taking my modelling skills still need a huge amount of practice, we've barely started animating, & have yet to learn how to add textures, etc. But anyway, here's an early prototype:

thumbnail

This is just a first attempt. I'll have to make another one to add more detail & correct some design flaws. For example, the horizontal band attaching the dome to the body came out too rounded. And who knows, I may need to make the model a completely different way to effectively add textures. The images on the black background are quick renders showing some various angles & attempts at getting a size that would work for an actual unit.

I'm aiming for a craft with an observation dome (blueish tinted glass) & a brass body (like a rifle shell casing). The hatch will eventually be fancier. I'm wondering if I should put something on the bottom, Maybe a round indentation vaguely suggestive of a primer cap?

The "lightning rod" will be used in the attacks - I'm thinking some simple balls (of St. Elmo's fire) that spiral around it and shoot out the front. The moves & default will have the capsule slowly spinning - like a bullet fired from a rifled barrel. If I get good enough at animation I'd like to use an explosive decompression of the observation dome for the death.

:coffee:

That actually is the look I was going for. I'll make the ball towards the base larger & reduce the prominence of the spike in the next iteration. Thanks for the photo link. I'll keep that around for reference.

Any comment on door placement & size?

Edit: I just found out the proper name for the spike is "finial". I've collected a couple more pictures for inspiration.

I'm making some very preliminary explorations of the unit palette in preparation for continued work on the Verneian Capsule in the new semester. I wanted something simple to practice on. Looking at it I wondered if you might find it useful for the immobile unit wanted to upgrade to Alice. This is a gif, not in the entire unit palette, but with the palette reduced to 160 - which is, as I understand, the amount of the indexed palette left usable after civ, smoke, shadows, etc. are removed.

:coffee:

We still need a Propeller Island. I can't believe no one wants to take a crack at it. It's an island/aircraft carrier with propellers on one end. Add some victorian-style structures and perhaps some iron lattice-work for eye candy. At this point, anything that suggests a mobile island will do as filler.

Do you have any sketch-up or rough pic perhaps of what landmass shape you were wanting it to be? And map size would be important to know also, because the number of cities you want to use for the map or scenario would have to be in relation to the map size, etc.

Ex. Are you looking for something like a top-shot of a WW2 type aircraft carrier (land) surrounded by ocean, with another island (land) off to the side of the carrier landmass?
I guess the island could be to the North? South? East? NW? SE? Any particular direction, and of any specific shape and size? It could always be altered later of course. ;)

For victorian style structures and iron lattice-work, etc.. are you referring to reworking the terrain graphics, etc to make it actually look like a real large carrier? :eek: And then the island would be a normal island graphics?

If you were thinking of having a real carrier graphics, top-down view would allow for the runway line graphics, etc to be drawn in; etc...

Just looking for some clarification :cool:

KA is right, Tom; it's a unit we're looking for.

I jimmied up some images of a basic island using terrain that would match the scenario:

There would be one or more propellers at one end, a dirt runway, perhaps a tall pointed control tower and a zeppelin mooring mast. Verne describes it as a floating city; some of the images KA linked to suggest a more muscular look. I assume the huge steam engines are mostly underground, but a hint of them would be cool. As KA said, it would probably hiss and smoke alot. Certainly, extravagant ornamental flourishes would fit both the time-frame and steampunk motif (see Wyrmshadow's Nautilus, Sword of the Ocean. for example).

Top Bottom