Unmentioned Changes (Australian Summer Patch)

I noticed that maps now get exchanged if you become allies (and maybe friends?) with someone, which is cool. They need to update the civlopedia. And they need to tie more conrete benefits to friendships / alliances like this (like better trade route yields).

Mbanza (Kongo unique district) is not removed when you capture Kongo cities (it becomes Neighbourhood though)
Because Kongo often build Mbanza in rainforest, this "neighbourhood" has terrible appeal

mbanza.jpg

Base swordsmen being stronger than Kongo's unique unit, and equal to Legions, seems pretty odd. They need to buff those unique units.

Does the AI still suicide attack with their near-death Apostles instead of healing them? Has anyone noticed a change to that behavior?

Base swordsmen being stronger than Kongo's unique unit, and equal to Legions, seems pretty odd. They need to buff those unique units.

I agree. Kongo now has a real disadvantage during the era of their UU. Moving quickly through forest and jungle is a nice gimmick but it no way is it worth a malus of -5 strength which pretty much guarantees a loss against a normal swordsman. The advantage for the Legion is now just being resource free and the ability to repair tiles/build forts, not very impressive at all considering it conquered most of the known world of its time.

The change to swordsmen must be especially egregious to the woeful Berserker, who previously was a little weaker versus a much cheaper and earlier unit but is now roflstomped by them :)

If they wanted to curb the power of UUs they should have started with the Scythian horsemen zerg, two for the price of one is still the most powerful unit ability there is and when combined with their 50% heal on kill its just silly.

I agree. Kongo now has a real disadvantage during the era of their UU. Moving quickly through forest and jungle is a nice gimmick but it no way is it worth a malus of -5 strength which pretty much guarantees a loss against a normal swordsman. The advantage for the Legion is now just being resource free and the ability to repair tiles/build forts, not very impressive at all considering it conquered most of the known world of its time.

The change to swordsmen must be especially egregious to the woeful Berserker, who previously was a little weaker versus a much cheaper and earlier unit but is now roflstomped by them :)

If they wanted to curb the power of UUs they should have started with the Scythian horsemen zerg, two for the price of one is still the most powerful unit ability there is and when combined with their 50% heal on kill its just silly.

Wait, Swordsmen got +5 strength? (not up to date as the only game I played so far I've had to do without iron... I used most of my warriors as cannon fodder later on and upgraded the rest into mustketmen)

Sounds kinda weird that they'd do that and then not buff Legions and other unique units...

Do we have any confirmation that Sea Dogs are still broken? paging Victoria...

If you want to page then use the @ in front of my name so I get notification

As far as i am aware it is still broken. In my England game I only got to attack 4 ships but odds are I should have taken 1
Been too tied up with general deity dom play as I have not played it for a while

A couple of small things I have noticed
  • Meeting and swapping delegations seems not to show their capital... Or was that already there?
  • I will have a barb both sides of a city and sometimes the city still heals. It seems it is when there is a sea tile (even though they have no boats or units). I remember a discussion thread on this where it said historically coastal cities would get supplies from sea unless blockaded. So this is a change that is worthy of mention. A little annoyng on attack but buffs coastal cities

If you want to page then use the @ in front of my name so I get notification

As far as i am aware it is still broken. In my England game I only got to attack 4 ships but odds are I should have taken 1
Been too tied up with general deity dom play as I have not played it for a while

A couple of small things I have noticed
  • Meeting and swapping delegations seems not to show their capital... Or was that already there?
  • I will have a barb both sides of a city and sometimes the city still heals. It seems it is when there is a sea tile (even though they have no boats or units). I remember a discussion thread on this where it said historically coastal cities would get supplies from sea unless blockaded. So this is a change that is worthy of mention. A little annoyng on attack but buffs coastal cities

I can confirm that (also pre-patch) you can't siege a coastal city with just units on land. And of course there's also that a city still heals if there's a river that cancels ZoC.

What's the point of a sphinx or chateau increasing the tile's appeal by 1 if it doesn't increase the appeal of neighbouring tiles as well? AFAICT appeal only affects seaside resorts, neighbourhoods and national parks. None of those can be affected by building a sphinx on the same tile.

What am I missing?

What am I missing?
You are missing certain 'qualities' that others have?
If they had *any* improvement/building affected by neighboring appeal then fair enough and it would be quite nice if they did... I mean a neighborhood should be affected by neighboring tiles. It would make building more strategic. Appeal could be improved but is a good add to the game regardless.

Just to sum it up: Mines decrease the appeal of SURROUNDING tiles whilst Sphinxes and Chateaus increase appeal of the specific tile they're built on, right?

Just to sum it up: Mines decrease the appeal of SURROUNDING tiles whilst Sphinxes and Chateaus increase appeal of the specific tile they're built on, right?
Yeah, you are right about mines, silly me. The +1 appeal I was not aware of and cannot find it documented.. Maybe its in the patch... My error is believing before testing... but this forum normally does not have trolls.

Is anyone else experiencing increased barbarian camp spawns? I hope this is just bad luck.

@Victoria I wasn't referring to the frequency of units spawning but the proximity and quantity of camps spawning near the capital at the start. The proximity since the patch before this one seemed to have increased but now on this one I seem to be seeing more of them and close. Not exactly fun when they start regurgitating horsemen. I've restarted about 30 games so far so it's still a small sample size but beginning to look frustrating.

@Victoria I wasn't referring to the frequency of units spawning but the proximity and quantity of camps spawning near the capital at the start. The proximity since the patch before this one seemed to have increased but now on this one I seem to be seeing more of them and close. Not exactly fun when they start regurgitating horsemen. I've restarted about 30 games so far so it's still a small sample size but beginning to look frustrating.

I just commented in the patch thread about this, not sure which is correct, but I think they might have changed something because I should not have a scout with an exclamation point on like turn 3 or 4 leaving my capitol. The warrior has to pick some direction to circle the city in, and it's just to easy to get burned by a surprise scout. Camps should NOT get a scout spawn until at least turn 10.

I'm pretty sure that is not a change. To siege you need two units on either side of a city each "responsible" for 3 tiles. If there is a river, you need a unit on the other bank too as it breaks up only two units being able to siege. Likewise, if you have coast, you need at least one unit in the water to cover that. It can be an embarked unit or a ship. Mountains next to a city are also considering surrounding for that tile.

@PendragonWRB
They spawn way too near that's why. I see them around turn 3 or 4 too usually. It's like they're intentionally coded to appear a minimum of X tiles away or something. 1 camp appearing and respawning near is fine but 3 with horsemen? I mean come on.

Players were unhappy about Barbarian Horsemen earlier on before the winter patch and instead of addressing player concerns they buffed barbarians by making them spawn even nearer to capital cities. I hope they didn't make it even worse this time round.

There should be a code preventing more than one barbarian camp spawning near the capital at the start. Not difficult to do at all and a safety net to prevent the unfair start from downward spiraling in a competitive scene.

I'll try comparing pre-patch barbarian codes to find out soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom