Unofficial Big Map Testing

This discussion again, I guess...

I'd say putting it just one tile north of where Poznan is, if nobody minds moving the river mouth there and/or sacrificing a bit of accuracy.

Yeah. Sorry, I just don't like seeing "suffocated" cities. I'll test a game with both cities present, then we'll see what we can do

Blue Marble, yes. ECS and VD, yes, but in its current state you have to make a lot of edits manually. ECS is easier to merge into the mod than VD. :)

Thanks! Any pointers on where I should start making the edits? Is there a way to pinpoint which places exactly the code would need to be changed? You've done such an awesome job with this map, and it would be fantastic to be able to play it with ECS and VD.

For ECS, you need to make sure that CityLSystem.xml and PlotLSystem.xml (Assets/XML/Buildings) are updated to the ECS version. I recommend starting with the one that is used in the module for the vanilla mod and the manually incorporate the updates that has come since.

I'm don't know the exact date v1.15 (and it's VD/ECS modules) were released. You can look that up and find all updates that have been made to those files since. The easiest way to do that is to look at the log of that file. (If you have tortoise git, right click on the file -> tortoisegit -> show log)
Only 2 updates have been made since 4-10-2016 in CityLSystem.xml (Hagia Sophia art and a small update when art of the new wonders was included) PlotLSystem had more updates, but I'm sure you will manage to find out which updates have been made since the release.

VD is similar. You need to edit VD_CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml (Assets/Modules/Varietas Delectat/XML/UnitArtStyles&CivInfos/). This is a modular file, so it will override the CivilizationInfos.xml in the Assets/XML/Civilizations when the game in loaded. (This makes sure the VD unit art is used). Similar to the ECS, you need to incorporate the changes that have been made to the CivilizationInfos.xml in the Assets/XML/Civilizations to the modular VD_CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml.

I don't know how to incorporate the new resource art into PlotLSystem.xml, but most of it is just manual copy-paste, replace, whatever. I am starting to regret not maintaining my own fork of VD, but I'll try to start within the next 7 days.

Can we get a savefile?

I don't think the first sentence is a direct consequence of the new map. Also, the Seljuk conquerors should still spawn around 1000 AD.

Maybe not, but India and Persia definitely seemed TOO stable compared to the old map. As for the Turks they never conquered any territory but perhaps that had to do with early losses to China but I suspect not enough conquerors for the enlarged map might be a factor. They stayed put in Central Asia and both the Turks and Persians were finally defeated by Mongol conquerors who never attacked China.

Are you up to date when you observed that? I bumped up the Seljuk and Mongol conquerors by a notch, and I made sure that the Turkic core shifts to Persia with the DCN update and the capital move. I think the core population of India tends to become relatively larger than usual due to the larger area. Not sure with Persia.

EDIT: For Persia, do take note that the new map allows for an additional 1-2 cities in the core. Not sure if shrinking the core would help.

Hello!

VD now updated!!! :) This branch is specifically for the big map :) Good luck in cloning and in actually starting the mod with all those un-PAK'ed assets. :lol: I'll see what I can do to provide a PAK version, but make sure you have ample RAM installed first!

(Actually, I also updated VD for vanilla DoC, check master branch of linked repo above. Waiting for Leo to comment on my PR!)

Here's a save, but it happens all the time. Sometimes in one turn, sometimes in another turn.

Attachments

• Frederick AD-1760 Turn 341.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
Here's a save, but it happens all the time. Sometimes in one turn, sometimes in another turn.

What's the latest year that you were able to reach before a crash? I reached the American spawn without problems. Save attached. :)

Attachments

• Frederick AD-1775 Turn 346 (Genghis Khaiser).CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
Hello!

VD now updated!!! :) This branch is specifically for the big map :) Good luck in cloning and in actually starting the mod with all those un-PAK'ed assets. :lol: I'll see what I can do to provide a PAK version, but make sure you have ample RAM installed first!

(Actually, I also updated VD for vanilla DoC, check master branch of linked repo above. Waiting for Leo to comment on my PR!)

Wow, this is incredible! Thank you!!

I found one small glitch. The city styles seem to be mixed up during the Classical Era. Rome, Greece, Phoenicia, and China all have the Northern European city style, while Egypt, Babylonia, and Persia have the East Asian city style. All the other eras seem to be fine.

Did you reload a save? If so, I think proceeding to the next turn fixes it :)

I noticed that America doesn't build Washington. They keep Detroit as their capital.

Also, it may be because the map is too large but it still keeps crashing for any reason. It gets a bit frustrating.

I get that too. I have no idea why they keep on doing that :( Not sure if I made the settler map wrong. I'll see what I can do.

Have you patched your Civ 4 EXE file already? There's a 4 GB RAM (?) patch tool lying somewhere here in the forums, allowing the EXE to consume more RAM. That should help. (I really wish we could make Civ 4 or a clone of it 64-bit, though...)

I get that too. I have no idea why they keep on doing that :( Not sure if I made the settler map wrong. I'll see what I can do.

Have you patched your Civ 4 EXE file already? There's a 4 GB RAM (?) patch tool lying somewhere here in the forums, allowing the EXE to consume more RAM. That should help. (I really wish we could make Civ 4 or a clone of it 64-bit, though...)
Detroit and Toledo have a Settler Value of 800 and Washington 700. Perhaps give Washington 800 as well?

Last edited:
Top Bottom