Unstoppable Zulu rampage

pangu

Chieftain
After playing this game for so long, I finally realised that the true beauty of Zulu Impis is not for rushing on its own, but to attack with Chariots + HAs (acting as stack protectors for the mounted units).

Normal mounted rush is very susceptible to Spearmen or, later, Phants. But with Impi (with Combat 1 + Shock promo), an Impi + HA SoD is basically without counter until, presumably Phants which Impi still has decent odds especially if it has formation promo.

A "standard" set up I use for an early Zulu rush is:

6 HAs
2 Chariots (1 with Combat 1 + Medic 1; the other with Flanking 1 + Sentry)
2 Impis

A normal tech order I use is to pop HBR with the Oracle. As attack targets, I pick AIs with a religion, which I use the GP from Hedge+Oracle to build shrine, or (if I am really lucky) a nearby AI which has built the Mids (which I promptly revolt to Police State).

As for timing (I play on normal speed at Emperor level), I find that:

1/ If the Hedge is completed before turn 50, it will be most unlikely for AIs to beat you to it.
2/ I aim to complete the Oracle asap. AIs tend to get it by around turn 65-70. Chop like mad.
3/ The rush should commence at turn 95 at the latest. With 3 cities (1 for copper, 1 for horse, 1 capital), 2 get stables and spam HAs, 1 gets barracks only and spam Impis and Archers.
4/ AIs tend to get LBs at around turn 130-140. This date varies a lot depending on whether AIs trade between themselves extensively. It is very unlikely to get LBs before turn 130 since I have denied them the Oracle which some AIs love to pop Monarchy. So, I basically have 40-50 turns to wipe 2 AIs off the map and possibly cripple a 3rd by taking 2 cities and extorting some techs.

The 3 major weaknesses in this strat is that:

1/ It is very resource dependent. If bronze cannot be found in the vicinity, the Impis will have to wait until Ironworking, which does take a while.

2/ It assumes the capital has either tons of forest to chop the Oracle or marble nearby which can be linked up. Grabbing the Oracle to pop HBR can be a gamble at Emperor level.

3/ Overexpanding can really crash the economy. Trade HBR + polytheism + priesthood for maths + alphabet + IW + meditation. Spread the shrine religion. At the same time, self research CoL. Trade health resources for happiness resources.

Obviously, one chariot is a medic, the other is a scout with the extra 1 visibility range. Both are good anti-axe units and pillagers.

I like that strategy, I will have to try it, but being forced to rely on finding copper and horses to execute a rush is a stretch. I don't normally go for the oracle (call me crazy). I usually do mining->BW, and then whatever worker techs I need, then wheel, then hunting (if necessary) then archery, by that time going back and doing religious techs is a waste IMO.

sounds like a good strat. Don't forget the impi is also an amazing choker. Send him in to your first victim's land right away to steal workers and pillage strategic resources.

I like the elegance of it, and i'm a sucker for HA, but i'm skeptical whether the impi's actually help. The main problem I have with HA is taking cities that are defended by a spearman, especially with walls and hills. The AIs rarely leave the shelter of their cities to attack, even if all I have is HAs and they have spearmen. Can you post a game where your impis have actually killed stuff?

I would try it if the resources are there early enough - but, yeah, I've had them soon at times - and I'm a sucker for impis, though "Unstoppable Zulu Rampage" seems a little much; how about "Zulu Rowdiness" :) I'm always looking for a new civ strategy and a civ to try it on; I'll reference your idea when I assume the guise of Shaka, mild-mannered postal worker.

The only problem that strategy has are the spearmen. Especially if they are defending a city

Responding to tycoonist...

Basically, if you attack with swordsmen, you will keep a few axes in your SoD to counter AI's axes attacking your swords.

By the same reasoning, if you attack with HAs, you will want a few axes in the SoD to defend against AI counterattacking the stack.

Zulu is unique in this regard. Impis is the only anti-spear 2 movement unit (it is anti-spear in the sense that Shaka is aggressive and therefore opens up the Shock promo for Impis) that can keep up with HAs.

Clearly, in attacking cities, we still have to face the bad odds of attacking garrisoned axes with swordsmen or attacking garrisoned spears with HAs. That is unavoidable.

Responding to pi-r8

A situation which happens often after capturing a city is that the AI will counter attack that city with 1-2 spears/swords. Normally, in a HA rush, 1-2 HAs which are garrisoning that city will die and the spears/swords can attack again next turn killing another 1-2 HAs which are healing. With Zulu, we can leave an impi as temporary garrison unit together with 1 full health HA and other HAs which require healing, these can rejoin the attack stack once the slow moving archers get into place.

In my view, Impi is very useful in playing a supporting role (i.e. protecting captured cities, protecting SoD). Of course, HAs will spearhead the rush.

I actually played a Pangea map yesterday evening with Zulu, but my rush was modified a bit because I got Stone in my BFC and therefore could not resist grabbing GW and Mids as well as Hedge and Oracle. That delayed my SoD attack to around turn 110 but with Police State and 5 cities, I was able to spam units faster. I got HC down to 1 crappy city before turn 125 (took 5 cities from him) and (despite the GE and GS pollution) I got 2 GPs which I used for a Judaism shrine and a Hinduism shrine (both founded by HC). No one has LBows as far as I know and I believe I have time for another target (tempted to go after Joao for the Buddhist shrine but not sure whether I can make it to his capital before he gets LBs, he already has Monarchy a few turns back).

I will try to post a more "normal" HA+Impi rush this weekend.

Top Bottom