Upgrade target depends on territory?

aggri1

Prince
Hi,

In my current RoM game, I recently discovered the technology for Musketmen, so I started upgrading all of my Arquebusiers. Surprisingly, some of them showed the option of upgrading to Musketeers (the French UU equivalent of Musketmen, right?), instead. I quickly realised that if the Musketman was located in an area which had some 1000 years previously been French territory, then the upgrade would be to a Musketeer rather than a Musketman. That was great for me of course, because the French Musketeers have an extra move. So I started bringing my Arquebusiers from all over the empire to the area which was once known as "France" before upgrading them and then sending them back to their stations.

Is this intended behaviour?

If so, I'll have to check what other unique-unit upgrades I can undertake, given the various countries I've conquered... Korea, Aztec, Spain.

I don't quite understand how 'assimilation' (if that's what's causing this) works, but I wonder whether the effects of 'assimilation' should perhaps be time-limited or culture-ratio limited? Would this create havoc?

Cheers,
A.

I'm pretty sure that is how Assimilation works; you get the benefits of upgrading to UU's in the territory as well as building UU/UB in the cities of the conquered civilization. I don't know completely how it works (I tried looking through the sources and didn't see exactly how it works), but I have seen the behavior you describe.

I always thought this was intended with the Assimilation option.

Maybe a Limit should be placed on the number of units you can do this with? If you feel it's a player exploit.

Question: have any of you observed the AI doing this type behavior? If the AI does Not do it then a Limit probably should be imposed on the player.

JosEPh

Don't think I'll be using Assimilation if that's how it's supposed to work, it feels really off to be able to build or upgrade into unique units/buildings just by capturing enemy cities. They wouldn't help you build their specific specials until they've been "assimilated" into your culture at which point, they're no longer their former culture and so shouldn't be able to build their former unique builds.

Top Bottom