1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

v1.26

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall RAND' started by Rhye, Aug 23, 2009.

1. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

Cannot ask or give money at all, which is an old bug.

2. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

Well, England is pretty much impossible if the Greeks are alive. So much for a wasted night...

3. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

wasted night? What can I say...probably it is, if your only purpose is to achieve historical victories, which by definition are hard to grant in a random context.
    I may completely disable them, so that it's absolutely clear, otherwise I need to know in detail what is needed for each goal to be possible, and up to a certain extent, provide a solution (for certain I can't kill Greece in order to avoid to circumnvigate).

Why don't you try something different, like very low? It doesn't have UHVs, for that matter

4. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

It should be within 3 plots from starting location

All I need to know is how much food is needed in the fat cross. The minimum number for a normal growth. Then, I can tell you the line to change in RFCUtils.py

5. patkog

patkog Chieftain

I noticed the money-bug too

Playing on very low is quite interessting, played as dutch and started in turn 0, a lot of civs spawn while the game but most of them collapsed because of over-expansion or barbarians (france and england spawned in turn 0 too and both collapsed in the first 100 turns)

6. micbic

micbic Optimistic Pessimist

Just asking: The settler-stability maps are depenedent on the likeness? Eg is it guaranteed that the Romans will play out as a contiguous empire in very high likeness, but may turn out colonial in very low?

7. -Perceval-

-Perceval- Prince

I had CTD...before this fantastic version!

8. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

the way civ lean towards some kinds of empires is the same, but on lower modifiers are less strong

9. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

It's not the circumnavigation, it's their phenomenal tech. (They had SC and Physics even before I had printing press, and I bulbed as much as I could).

But if you disable UHV, the stability system won't really allow conquest or domination easily. I just want to win the UHVs again without the regular map.
    Maybe I'll try something like Germany next (which depends less on other civs).

As far as Egyptian Stone, I cannot find one in several starts, and if it's there, it'll take more than 2-3 moves to get it. The minimum for a sustainable size 6 city is a wheat and 3 flood plains.

10. JujuLautre

JujuLautre Deity

Here is a save with the "ask you to convert" at every turn

11. Metal Alloy Man

Metal Alloy Man Back in Black

Rhye, please don't remove UHV's on any likeness level, even if they are sometimes impossible to achieve, because when you do get a good situation it's so much more fun. I even think UHV's should be included on Very Low because when they are possible it would be really worth it. If UHV's were removed from Random it would really take away from the flavour of the game. So please don't remove them, even if they are impossible sometimes, because the times they are possible it's worth it. It adds so much flavour and variety to the game that I personally think removing them would be like removing them from normal RFC, basically a crime.

P.S.-However some of them can be improved, which I'll elaborate on later.

12. Ogrelord

Ogrelord Prince

I'm having a crazy fun game on my first try of Rand. Settings are random and I got Cold Climate and Low Sea levels. There's lots of good land, but there's a lot of tundra.

But the greatest natural wonder is this colossal glacier that connects both the North and South pole. I roughly estimated it to be 1/6 of the total landmass. The year is 1760, Egypt was just born, and I'm sending a French explorer to the Great World Glacier... to the Mountain of Madness. :eek:

13. bigeeze

bigeeze Chieftain

I've played three games on the very low likeness settings. It adds a whole new dimension to the game and I think it's awesome.
    One thing I have seen though is if America gets an early start they are an absolute beast. The unique power giving them extra population is huge, especially in early game situations.

14. Ogrelord

Ogrelord Prince

yeah low likeness setting is just so weird, especially after playing the Earth map many times. It's great if you like the exploration aspect of the game.
    Now my Explorer can't pass some sort of Longitude barrier. There are hills but the terrain is Impassable. It's blocked...now checking the entire length of the longitude.

EDIT: oh all the terrains along the longitude are covered in Ice. Madness.

15. youtien

youtien Lyricist

I can't download it, the link is broken. Someone check please?

16. Fierabras

Fierabras Emperor

Here's some screenshots of a fun game with Babylon on Huge/Very High/Monarch.

I was about to start over with the starting position in the 1st screenshot (rivers of Babylon, where are you?), but decided to give it a go and try something different.

After moving my warrior on the silver I saw there was another coastal food resource, so I settled on the silver and went Fishing-Pottery-Writing and made it to Writing first on turn 32 (I know, a bit lucky). I managed to achieve the UHV without building a single worker or any other unit.

In reply to AnotherPacifist:

I agree the Egypt UHV is more difficult than the Babylonian, but in RFC RAND you can afford moving your first settler most of the times.

To counter-balance the non-existing pre-map knowledge in comparison to RFC, I suggest an even bigger visible region on turn 0. It's a minor change in one of the Python files and I have used it in previous versions of RFC RAND. I'll update my code for v1.26 and will release it tomorrow.

17. Shadowhal

Shadowhal Warlord

I was about to also suggest a slightly larger visible area, but more for later starting civs. it seems pretty much the same, no matter when they start, even though these get more settlers and are often in the vicinity of other civs. just an idea.

other than that, my current is proceding quite nicely and I really like all the changes. the settler maps with their stability info really rock as does the high likeness option so far. I feel that there are more resources than before as my area is just crawling with them, but that may just be my impression. otherwise, pretty nice job I'd say.

18. Fierabras

Fierabras Emperor

Hmm, I modified the code for revealSurroundings() for all civs and then I generate this start:

Didn't need more visibility for this start, oh well...
    I have attached the save for those who are eager for an Egyptian UHV

Attached Files:

19. mitsho

mitsho Deity

I played two games, both as greeks on standard and high likeliness, one had way too many goodie huts, in both Jerusalem joined my empire and I forgot that standard was the really really really small map ;-)

otherwise I must say, this patch makes the game much more interesting with this very likeliness map, (it's amazing)

20. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

Germany is too easy if Russia doesn't spawn and you have Rome close by with tons of wonders. I'm in 1415 and already have 10% of land, 7 moves to liberalism (for constitution or astronomy).

Is there a bug with the barbs not moving and just camping in forests?