Veneti ships

cemo1956

King
I´m looking for a unit that could be best used as the Oak built (only saildriven) Veneti Ship that faced Caesar around 50BC. Battle of Morbihan Gulf.

It is supposed to be bulky without oars but very defensive strong.
IMHO it could be the second development of the "strange" looking Curragh in Civ3 for northern countries and especially the Gauls.
Then the Viking Longships came along followed by the Cog.

Any hints on what already created unit could be used ?

a little quote

The Veneti were the main naval power of Gaul. They dominated the trade with Britain, and had a fleet of solidly build ships well suited to local conditions. Caesar describes them as having shallower keels than Roman ships, which made them better suited for operations in tidal waters; as being constructed entirely of oak, with high prows and sterns which made them more able to resist the Atlantic storms, and also made them almost invulnerable to standard Mediterranean ramming tactics.

That looks great ... Thanks

But now what model/unit should be used among all that has been made over the years.
I think it should have no oars to move it and perhaps only arrows as offensive/defensive skill. Absolutely no ramming ;-)

Someone, either aaglo or Orthanc, made a Roman roundship that looks very similar to that picture. It is labeled "Roman Merchant" or something like that.

I go look for that Roundship, but I think I recall it looking very much like the old traditional Fireaxis Galley ... or

The golden little ship above is surely the Curragh. The ship I´m looking for is more like the first picture. It must be strong enough to stand a ramming from a Trireme or even bigger quadrireme or quinquereme used by the Romans in the time of Caesar.

Kryten made this http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=50967
could work perhaps, but his desciption make it perhaps much later ship

But this might be better like you mwentioned Orthancs
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=176260

Orthanc also made an Lodya, but that was oar-driven. This Veneti boats should be sails only I guess

One must adapt ;-)

OK - I found my old reconstruction for the MTW EBII mod:

H.Balck

Moderator Action: While this post is tangentially related to the topic it is not responsive to the OP, which asked about C3 units already made. You have previously received warnings & infractions for using posts (in inappropriate threads) to advertise your work for other games without any creative contribution to the CFC community.

I go look for that Roundship, but I think I recall it looking very much like the old traditional Fireaxis Galley ... or

The golden little ship above is surely the Curragh. The ship I´m looking for is more like the first picture. It must be strong enough to stand a ramming from a Trireme or even bigger quadrireme or quinquereme used by the Romans in the time of Caesar.

Kryten made this http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=50967
could work perhaps, but his desciption make it perhaps much later ship

But this might be better like you mwentioned Orthancs
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=176260

Orthanc also made an Lodya, but that was oar-driven. This Veneti boats should be sails only I guess

One must adapt ;-)
A Veneti boat would be most welcome, I hope someone makes one!

Orthanc's round ship is pretty much dead nuts on that picture that Yeng Loo posted.

Orthanc's round ship is pretty much dead nuts on that picture that Yeng Loo posted.
Oh that one! When you first said this I though you were referring to one of his rowing ships. But now I'm remembering his merchant one, good point.

Who knows? That is the oddest thing I think I've seen all year, maybe even in my whole life online. It's gotta be a mistake, because if it's not, than pretty much every post on CFC should get the same treatment.

That's a beautiful ship though.

Moderator Action: PDMA is not allowed. If you question any moderator action contact them by pm.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Well, the moderator I sent a PM too has been on and didn't reply, so I'll bring this to the attention of administrators (EDIT: If no response within 24 hours).

Moderator Action: Editing an infracted post to add more pdma is not the way to achieve your goals. Read the FAQ. If you have a problem with moderator actions use Private Mail. Also, be warned that editing out moderator notes / explanations / warnings, etc. is an additional & separate offense
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

But now what model/unit should be used among all that has been made over the years.
I think it should have no oars to move it and perhaps only arrows as offensive/defensive skill. Absolutely no ramming ;-)

HEY LOOK, he asked what MODEL? I'm glad Yang Liu showed a nice MODEL he may make, which was very responsive to the topic and poster question. The database, cemo, does have the units, but since you also asked what MODEL, here's a way I can possibly help and contribute.

I checked on Google Warehouse but could find any ships there. None match the quality of the ship that Yang Liu previewed to see if you like, that he may create into a Civ 3 unit.

But if you can find something on http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/, then I may be able to contribute something at that time (if I can, 50/50 chance).

I would show a pic, but none of the pics I could find match. I'll leave a Preview before 'possible contribution' if you can find a suitable model there. I'll also give credit to the source of the model, as we all should (most remember the FireFox issue).

Of course, it won't match the quality of the unit Yang Liu may create.

OK - I found my old reconstruction for the MTW EBII mod:

H.Balck

Moderator Action: While this post is tangentially related to the topic it is not responsive to the OP, which asked about C3 units already made. You have previously received warnings & infractions for using posts (in inappropriate threads) to advertise your work for other games without any creative contribution to the CFC community.

What a beautiful veneti type ship with great detail and texturing! We haven't heard back from cemo yet, to know if this is the type of ship he is looking for, then contributions can be made once the MODEL cemo mentioned he might be looking for is found. Of course, cemo, if you find a unit (which you also mentioned), let us know, so we won't continue looking for units and models for you! :)

Strange developments on this thread. Maybe CivFan could use the services of Wikileaks?:p :lol:

Those ancient Veneti ships have always intrigued me. Mainly because so little is now known about them.

Certainties were:

They had higher sides than the Roman warships facing them.

They relied upon sails and not oars in battle.

They had rigging to these sails that was easily cut by opposing warships (the Romans did this to them in battle to make the ships unmanageable and defeat them, according to Roman written history).

As far as I know, none of these ships have been recovered archaeologically and there are no existent, contemporary pictorial representations of them.

Strange developments on this thread. Maybe CivFan could use the services of Wikileaks?:p :lol:
No kidding, I have no idea what happened in this thread after my last post above. At any rate, I'll have to reconsider my allotment of Orthanc's ships in my mod because I'm probably using it as a superfluous merchant ship rather than a Veneti ship, which is more fun.

Yang Liu showed a model that he might have considered making if / when Cemo responds if that is the type of ship he is looking for. The offer might still stand. I also asked Cemo if he can find something on Google Warehouse that is appropriate, I could make that. We are trying to help in ways we know how.

If Cemo has found a model/unit already, then I suppose no need to offer a potential new unit for the C3C community.

I hope I didn't misunderstand Cemo's statement. Cemo, perhaps you can clarify... a unit is a Civ 3 unit; by model I assume you meant a model of a ship (veneti ship)? Civ 3 units are not 'Models', they are 2d sprites, which is why I believe Cemo was asking for an actual model to be made into a unit. Let us know Cemo!

What in the... over-extension of power ITT.
Moderator Action: commenting on the overabundance of pdma doesn't contribute to the thread. Stick to the thread topic.

Going back to OP though, I don't think there's anything that can quite match what you're looking for here atm (which is... odd; we usually have everything) asides from the previously mentioned ancient/Roman merchant ships that have been created, or Yang's offer of creating a unit/supplying a model.

EDIT: Searching through the unit subforum for 'Veneti' turns up this Phoenician Bireme which is even further from what you want :lol: I'd suggest either merchant ship or PM Yang taking him up on his offer.

Moderator Action: This thread is about a Veneti ship unit. Any further commentary on other people's warnings or infractions, the causes thereof, the consequences thereof, or any other reference to moderators' actions will be subject to infraction.

Top Bottom