Venice's Great Galleas

Goldkoron

Chieftain
The Great Galleas just does not feel justified as a unique for Venice. (This is my opinion)
So I thought of a better more historically accurate replacement for it.

If the Merchant of Venice counted as Venice's unique unit, then I believe that Venice should have a UB, Canals of Venice, (or something like that) which replaces the aqueduct and provides 60% of food after a new citizen is born, or maybe instead just gives a production or food bonus ontop of the 40% food carried over after a citizen is born.

I don't know exactly the bonuses of the great galeass but for me it's only in order to defend the maritime empire until Venice grows bigger to defend effectively.

I would be perfectly fine with The Great Galleas, barring the name, if it got it's bonus from a promotion it could carry over. Then Venice could build up a navy in this period and grandfather a bunch of them through the ages to actually have a naval* bonus. Right now there really won't be anything all that naval* about Venice except for the fact they always start on the ocean.

In truth, I hate unique units that don't carry over anything as a promotion so I'm likely biased. I just hate the feeling of "whoops! There went your small tech period to shine, back to being generic for you!"

Seeing as Venice is practically a one city civ, I believe it should get a UB in order to boost its main city

Then Venice could build up a navy in this period and grandfather a bunch of them through the ages to actually have a navel bonus. Right now there really won't be anything all that navel about Venice except for the fact they always start on the ocean.

As long as Venice's men and women have bellybuttons, Venice will ALWAYS have a navel bonus.

As for a naval bonus, well, you're quite right that an ability to carry over Great Galleass promotions would help. ;)

As long as Venice's men and women have bellybuttons, Venice will ALWAYS have a navel bonus.

As for a naval bonus, well, you're quite right that an ability to carry over Great Galleass promotions would help. ;)

Oh gosh >_<
That is what I get for posting everything from my phone

uh noooo, UBs are more advantageous if you have more cities. UUs can be built more than one in one city, same with UIs.

UUs only last for a short time in a game, and considering Venice is not going to be on a civ murder streak likely, it should have a more defensive UB or something of the sort.

Personally, I'm greatly looking forward to the Great Galleass. I _love_ bombarding the crap out of the AI, and I think that this will be one of Venice's most important expansion strategies.

Get a Trireme early for Exploration, and then 'acquire' about 6-7 Great Galleasses, and take over the entire coastline.

Edit: Basically, what BigOz said. Venice WILL be a conqueror, almost guaranteed.

UUs only last for a short time in a game, and considering Venice is not going to be on a civ murder streak likely, it should have a more defensive UB or something of the sort.

Really? You don't think Dandolo would actually focus on military conquest? Because, you do realise he can grow an empire that way AS WELL... He's a power to be recokned with.

We will have to see when it comes out but at least the way I'm planning on playing Venice, and the way they will have to play as the AI not to get stomped, is to be a sneaky warmonger. They may not be as overt about it as the Zulu or Assyria but whoever starts by Venice should feel quite awkward because they are just sitting there waiting for you to settle cities for them and waiting to meet other trading partners s they can dump you and jump you.

Well here is the question, can venice puppet captured cities? I was under the impression that Venice can only acquire cities by puppeting city states, and are forced to raze enemy cities

Goldkoron: Where does it say that? All we know is that Venice cannot Annex cities.

If it can't Puppet cities except with its MoV, well, then I'll simply raze every city on the coast. :p

Eww, is it really called the great galleas? I thought that was just a place holder because the civ was spoiled early.

It would be pretty dumb to limit Venice THAT MUCH, it's bad enough they wills truggle with city connections, and like it was stated, the MoV permits to peacefully acquire more cities by it's unique ability but at the same time it was never stated that they can't puppet conquered cities for all we care MoV can go Austria and just conquer those minor innocent weak city states.

It would be pretty dumb to limit Venice THAT MUCH, it's bad enough they wills truggle with city connections, and like it was stated, the MoV permits to peacefully acquire more cities by it's unique ability but at the same time it was never stated that they can't puppet conquered cities for all we care MoV can go Austria and just conquer those minor innocent weak city states.

Historically, Venice sacked Constantinople, but did not puppet the city.

Goldkoron: And, historically, Venice could indeed found its own colonies if it wished. :p

What is your point?

Also, the tribes in America are quite well represented by the Iroquois and (now) Shoshone Civilizations. Much better than the American 'Civilization'. :p

Top Bottom