Version 0.37 Discussion Thread

One simple solution would be to create a unique unit, a Barbarian Galley, and give it strength 1. Then only this unit would spawn for the barbs, and not the normal strength 2 galley.
Very cool idea! But i would not nerf them to strength 1 but give them an UnitClassAttackMod of -20 vs normal Galleys, so they have 23.1% odds when attacking your Sea Patrols (2.00 vs. 2.60).

Could be "defend only" ability reasonable...i think the main reason of barbarians galleys was pillage, not fight.., they still can block, pillage and defend...
Maybe the game that i made is pointly, i did more games and AI change the build patch, not like that one when egiptians spend some 50 turns build persistently work boats...

Very cool idea! But i would not nerf them to strength 1 but give them an UnitClassAttackMod of -20 vs normal Galleys, so they have 23.1% odds when attacking your Sea Patrols (2.00 vs. 2.60).

makes no sense to me. pirates were dangerious. we should not touch this. the goal is to make AI stronger vs pirates, not ALL players (yourself included) stronger vs pirates.

The AI should actually use the Sea Patrol function to defend the often occurring clusters of sea food. It is implemented in the game, but the AI never decides to use it. The current thresholds are too high (the AI doesn't value its sea food enough) to trigger the Guard Bonus Missions (don't know about ocean oil). And there is a serious bug in it, that allows non-blitz units to blitz-attack multiple units in just one turn (A "real" AI cheat).

Right now there is a big disbalance between barbarian thread from land and barbarian thread from sea concerning the attacker's / defender's strength ratio (r_rolo compares them to 2-move bears) and damage-wise (a pillaged pasture is much easier to replace than a pillaged work boat). Keeping them at strength 2 but limiting their attack odds simulates terrain defense (hills) on land and doesn't turn them into "free" xp presents as they are still strong defenders and effective for blockades.

The human can limit the spawn rate by coastal fog busting, but I've never seen the AI doing that (only AI fog busters are the Guard City units that keep chosen city spots barb city free).

Hi,
I've a problem in a game i'm playing with better AI 0.37.
In my game the spanish I don't know why are stocking hundred of military unit on one island and never use them to attack when they are at war.
Does someone know the reason?
It's on tolede in the picture.

I precise they have enough galleon to transport them.
Thx.

Armand.

Attachments

• Problem.jpg
    Problem.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 587
Upload a save game file that contains the AI doing this bug. It can help.

The AI will often strand armies on small islands as it doesn't have a mechanism (yet) for picking up idle troops ... transports tend to return to the main land area and wait for orders there, large colonies will build their own transports, but a small island the AI invaded may be left with a ridiculous garrison since they're never picked up. If there are transports with the troops however, then sitting around during war is an unexpected behavior. I'll check out the save and see if I can find any more specific reasons for what's going on.

Hi,

I've been enjoying the enhanced worker AI in the patch, but I think I found a bug...

Notice the automated worker near Lalibela that is building a watermill... I have "Automated workers leave old improvements" checked, but it is still watermilling over my farm...

I haven't played around with this enough yet, but my initial suspicion is that this is because I have emphasize production checked...

Thoughts?

Attachments

• mpenning AD-1520.CivBeyondSwordSave
    297.2 KB · Views: 128
Yes in this case I notice that every time spain goes at war, it stocks more galleons with troops in the island, the number of galleons with full loading of soldier incresase only at war, or more when spain is at war.

But what I find curious is that in this save it only happens with spain I didn't look all the island of other countries; but i'm pretty sure it's only with this country, it's what I find very strange normally I think we may see this kind of behaviour for other country.
Armand.

The 0.37 Better BTS AI is very cool no question.

I dunno about anyone else, but I'm starting to look through the code more and more, and there are still so many avenues to improve the AI even further. This game is NOT dead for many years yet, depending on what people want to achieve. For me, a better AI is still the holy grail.

The CIV4 SDK is an excellent platform to achieve this end. I'm not sure what the limits of the AI architecture are though.....However there is still an entire layer of structure that could be put on top of the current AI code, that would add so much more ability for the AI to organise it's activities and plans. Until that is done, the continuing story of the evolving CIV4 AI is not fully written and finished in my mind.

Cheers.

Top Bottom