Version 1.94 Posted

Hi,

just a little AI report from another game playing with Carthage so far until 700 BC:

The AI is now very likeley to have an early war. This, for example, killed Hiram early on (I don't know who was it). Another war was in my area: Rome declared on Illyria. Tis war set back both significantly, both are medium size powers. The third war was between Argantonio and Viriatio and ended with a peace treaty as did the second one.

So far I'm very satisfied with the war choices of the AI. Interesting to report as well: I as Carthage have some civs who are annoyed with me from the beginning. That is Caesar, Mycenae (quite strange, I think) and some minor. Towards Rome almost everyone is annoyed. Towards the other few hardly anyone. Sounds good to me.

Last but not least I'd like to state that military is a good protection against greedy neighbours. This time I concentrated less on wonders and more on military and I've gotten a peaceful start.

This evening or tomorrow more on the process of this game.

Captin Zebra said:
where do i go to disable them?
thanks for the help

Go to the main menu.

Okay now click your LEFT mouse button on Advanced.

Then click your LEFT mouse button on Options.

Then click your LEFT mouse button on Graphics.

Then click your LEFT mouse button on No Movies so there is an X in it.
I know its counterintuitive but the X actually means that that option is on, in this case that No Movies are played.

Then click your LEFT mouse button on Exit.

Then click your LEFT mouse button on Go Back.

Now you are back to the Main Menu. If you need any more help just let me know.

Pvblivs said:
The AI is now very likeley to have an early war. This, for example, killed Hiram early on (I don't know who was it). Another war was in my area: Rome declared on Illyria. Tis war set back both significantly, both are medium size powers. The third war was between Argantonio and Viriatio and ended with a peace treaty as did the second one.
I think what I like most about the early wars is that you never really know for sure how they'll turn out. I've had games where the Phoenicians took out the Hittites early in the game and others where the Hittites dominated the region for one example. It's also nice that sometimes it puts them at a disadvantage to go to war early and other times it helps.

Pvblivs said:
So far I'm very satisfied with the war choices of the AI. Interesting to report as well: I as Carthage have some civs who are annoyed with me from the beginning. That is Caesar, Mycenae (quite strange, I think) and some minor. Towards Rome almost everyone is annoyed. Towards the other few hardly anyone. Sounds good to me.

In general they should go to war with "logical" enemies but at the same time it's nice to have a little touch of randomness to keep them from being too predictable. Pending the decision on Warlords I have some more complicate AI routines to add to the DLL that will really help with their ability to wage war.

Pvblivs said:
Last but not least I'd like to state that military is a good protection against greedy neighbours. This time I concentrated less on wonders and more on military and I've gotten a peaceful start.

I like going to war in TAM, as a result I tend to build a powerful offensive military and rarely get attacked. This is another place with room for improvement with the AI, it would be nice if less powerful civs would join forces to attack rather than waiting for one of them to declare war before others possibly join in.

Minor bug report with diplomatic victory, on last turn.

Just finished game (32 hours game, pheew !), i had a bug in last turn with diplomatic victory in 481 AD (huge med map, prince difficulty).
Last turn, i had the text "taharqa wins a diploamtic victory" and screen was forever staying on "waiting for opponents turns" (like if computer was busy, but staying a very long time). Waited for 5mn, nothing moved, i could not validate anything by typing enter or space. Hopefully, i could access the menu, so i could save game, then reload and on next turn i had victory popup and it validated diplo victory.

As a general feedback i will once more repeat i am surprised with the low AI science even if they do not spread madly.

- - -

Seven05 said:
A lot of the current values, especially for "memory" effects are inappropriate for the various leaders. I'm working on a lot of those now and this is exactly the type of feedback I need, many thanks :)

I keeped a lot of saves, if you need some more reports with relations during the game, i can give more values.

Steel weapons incorrectly requires timber and Iron, instead of Iron and Charcoal.

Cham

That is correct, the texts incorrectly list charcoal as a requirement (it was changed to timber in 1.93 I think). The charcoal resource should probably be removed from the game at this point.

Jet said:
I think what I said before was suggesting moving one of the engineers to aqueduct, which was done (thanks!) Personally it seems like probably the best change would be to just remove the engineer from smithy.

Optionally you could then do other things to balance smithy, like remove one unhealth (but you want unhealth in general), or add a production bonus (but smithy is probably too early, since carpenter is also early), or make them required for heavy units.
Or, +1 happy from gold and/or silver and/or gems. Some benefit besides the weapons upgrade seems desirable, so that there is some motivation to build them in multiple cities, beyond the convenience of being close to a war front.

I've been playing without smithies allowing the engineer (and no counterbalancing benefit), and the AI still builds them and uses them in decent quantity. Wonders are still very possible to get at Monarch; the disadvantage is the greater chance of a surprise stack of 10 javelineers or 20 chariot archers up one's butt - just as it should be.

Hello,

I wanted to mention that the war weariness seems too high. I was attacked by a civ and immediately all of my large cities had 5 or 6 unhappiness due to war weariness. This seems excessive as I was attacked and not an agressor. I'm using 1.94 at Monarch, Epic with Republic as the government. Is this level of unhapiness intentional when not an agressor? Can anyone tell me if the war weariness can be modified and how?

Many Thanks

I rather think the flood plains in Egypt are what make it more accurately reflect their rise in early history. Think about it...they quite literally burst onto the scene and dominated a large piece of Northern Africa and parts of Asia Minor and then fell under the might of European Empires and pressure from their neighbors, not to mention constant wars with the Hittites, et. all.

Without the flooded plains, the Egyptians are much weaker. Granted, in Human hands they're very strong, but then, you need a large military, and the desire to just sit and build every wonder known to man is pretty strong isn't it?

I think it's fine.

After all, if I play one of the other civs, I can still out score Egypt, and I can still eventually muscle it out of my way. :p

sapon said:
Hello,

I wanted to mention that the war weariness seems too high. I was attacked by a civ and immediately all of my large cities had 5 or 6 unhappiness due to war weariness. This seems excessive as I was attacked and not an agressor. I'm using 1.94 at Monarch, Epic with Republic as the government. Is this level of unhapiness intentional when not an agressor? Can anyone tell me if the war weariness can be modified and how?

Many Thanks

I would imagine that you were at war with another civ for quite a long time before that. But yes, in general war weariness should be reduced, as war was seen as rather normal in ancient times. It's possible and we'll change it.

Pvblivs said:
Hi,

just a little AI report from another game playing with Carthage so far until 700 BC:

This evening or tomorrow more on the process of this game.

I am a big time builder also. It is hard to build wonders and a strong military, but I have managed it, but I am at war most of the game too, though. Obviously, I have much to learn in terms of mastering the balance.

Ok, when I use WB to make the changes that I suggest, every other civ gets two warriors now, versus one warrior in a random location. This is something that I do not believe is an issue in the normal map.

Is there a way to make my changes, and use the tweaked map with this mod and keep the random warrior location aspect without leaving Babylon with only one starting warrior and everyone else with two?

Hi,

just played a game as Dareios of Persia on the huge map. While all the other civs battled one against the other, nobody wanted to fight me, so I enjoyed a very peaceful game building and expanding slowly, just fending off the barbs.
Is it correct that my units could only achieve experience points up to 10/17 versus the barbs. Any further combat brought no change. Is further promotion only versus "regular" enemy units possible?

Waterloo

Waterloo said:
Is it correct that my units could only achieve experience points up to 10/17 versus the barbs. Any further combat brought no change. Is further promotion only versus "regular" enemy units possible?
Waterloo

Aye, that's correct. It's like that in regular Civ4 as well. I think you can get to level 4 off barbarians, and only level 2 off of animals. To get higher exp you have to kill other Civ's units.

I just found a rather strange bug with the smithy.When i had gained access to tin and moved my already copper promoted units in and out of the city,it actually removed the copper promotion.:eek: The reason i found out was that i had lost access to copper due to some trade arrangement.As soon as I got my copper back I got my proper bronze promotion,but I suspect that any weapon promotion is a lasting deal, or do my spearmen eat copper during less fortunate times?:crazyeye:

Seven05 said:
On the engineer rush...

There are TONS of great people created in the course of a game, even at normal speed. Increasing the base value would make it too hard to get the first, perhaps increasing the rate of increase would be a good start but then that would make philisophical somewhat less potent. Maybe a slight increase to both would help reduce the total number you see in a game. LastWordz can attest to the insane number of wonders I can build while playing as Mycanae, very few of them taking more than one turn to complete.

With engineers specifically could we reduce the amount of production they contribute when "rushing" a building. At the current value they can build any wonder in one turn (any that I've tried anyway), so building wonders is all about getting great engineers and has nothing to do with production or access to bonuse that increase the speed of building wonders.

Why not have great engineers build a special building (like the scientist's academy) rather than complete another? It would go well with the scheme of things and if they could only build one per city it would help control the power of them without making them worthless. An example of their building could be a workshop that gives a production bonus of 10% for having access to each of the following resources: stone, marble, copper, tin, iron So, potentially you could receive a 50% bonus to production in that city.

Just some random thoughts. If you're only concerned with defeating the wonder rush you need to limit the number of great engineers or their effectiveness when rushing construction.
Thanks the AI is way more aggressive than in previous versions. Even Virato has a pair in this version. I agree that the engineers should only be able to build something akin to a workshop or design school.

Top Bottom