1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Version 1.95 posted (comments thread)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - The Ancient Mediterranean MOD' started by thamis, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Chode

Chode Warlord

2. thamis

thamis King of Kish

Hmm... we have changed the way the holy city works (it doesn't give any more gold), is that what you're referring to?

We didn't change anything how the placement works, I have no idea why it's being removed. Are you sure this doesn't happen in the normal game, too?

3. Chamrin

Chamrin Chieftain

He's having the same problem in Sevo's mod too, from what he's said, I think he has other stuff installed. No one else has reported any issues with this.

Cham

4. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

Carthage is very slow... I'm not sure if this is historically accurate or not, but I've found that expansion seems slow, especially given all the Barbarians.

I would like to see some better production potential in the capital, but I'm not sure that's the whole problem.

Sorry, I just don't have problems with any other civ.

5. LeMAD

LeMAD Chieftain

My main "complaint" with the mod is the abundance of Great Engineers, and the almost inevitable strategy that comes with it. Rushing wonders gets all the fun out of building them. Plus I always end up building the same ones (ex: The Sphinx). Maybe if you lower significantly the production bonus it would be ok. Is there a way to give a bonus based on a % of the production? Ex: Giving half the production required by a building (instead of a given value that would still be too high at the start of the game, while useless since too low at the end of the game). Great Merchants may also be a bit too strong...

Also with the last versions, the lack of tech trading seems to disavantage the AI a lot near the end of the game.

With that being said, I still having a lot of fun with the mod,

thanks again :goodjob:

6. Jet

Jet No, no, please. Please.

7. baptiste

baptiste Warlord

(minor) Bug report :
    When you find Tribal Laws, game proposes Council of Elder saying it gives +2 exp per unit.

8. Seidrik_The_Gray

I've noticed this also.

P.S. Carthage isn't slow...I just needed to change my strategy.

P.P.S. My current game is around 800BC. I'm in the lead, followed by Rome, Greece, Egypt, and Phoenecia. (All the rest are not doing so well)

P.P.P.S. Thamis is also correct about being able to cruise through the terretorial waters of other civs.

9. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Prince

I'm finding the other Civs way to unwilling to trade. Only one civ will have open borders with me; none will trade technologies with me. The open borders thing is, perhaps, the biggest problem because it means that a whole strategy for generating commerce is removed (port cities, harbors, great lighthouse, etc).

It is actually quite strange for me to play with any tech trading (which is how it is now). I have to really re-think my strategy...

I assume that this is a side-effect of making the AI more aggressive, which is definitely a good thing. Is there any way to make the AI become aggressive when the opportunity arises or towards a select few Civs, but more friendly otherwise?

-- Hypnotoad

10. Chode

Chode Warlord

I fixed my earlier problem (updated to 1.951, tower of babel was built). So far I love the mod almost as much as the Civ3 version. I can definitely tell it is incomplete, but its still awesome. I guess I'll post my nitpicks in this thread. I definitely can't wait for the Warlods version of TAM. I think heroes are kind of a silly unit, and would be better integrated as a warlord. Plus, you have new music for leaders (like Carthage and Celtic).

- I do not know the history of Mycenae. Did they use primarily chariots? I saw they had a UU hoplite. I had a war party heading into Agamemnon's territory, and the first city I saw had so many chariots and chariot archers that it couldn't list them all. I didn't have a hope in hell of assaulting it, so I found a hill outside the city and camped it. Marcus (one of my spearmen), eventually got 130 exp from the seemingly infinite Mycenean chariots. Are they supposed to have so many, especially for a greek civilization?

- Northern barbarians (gaul, germany, britons) really suck because I don't think the AI knows to get the technology to chop trees, which they desperately need for growing cities. As a result, they grow extremely slowly. I know they were a primitive people, but it really makes them chopped liver ingame. I think in my game, at 200AD they have about 400 points while everyone else has 800+.

- Carthage has a city that is a long string of captial letters, probably XML related.

- I enjoy being a powerful Rome, and being able to demand money from weaker civilizations. This feels right, and is awesome.

11. thamis

thamis King of Kish

Chode:

It is not possible to control which civ builds what units. Their UU is a hoplite, but for some reason the AI decided to build chariots. We need to tone down the chariot archers, anyway.

The northern barbarians are supposed to be highly disadvantaged.

I'll look into Carthage. Which city was it?

12. Pvblivs

Pvblivs Scriptor

Its Hadrumentum AFAIK. It once has been fixed but the bug came back again...

13. baptiste

baptiste Warlord

Bug report : chariot receive metal promotion (from Smithy)

14. thamis

thamis King of Kish

That should be correct, if it's the normal chariot. Just the archers shouldn't get it.

15. Seidrik_The_Gray

I have a game as Carthage at the moment...don't recall having the issue with Hadrumentum. I will check when I get back home.

P.S. I peacefully settled both sides of Cicily and the only thing stopping me from the other two islands off Italy's western coast is my darn economy, lol...But, then again, I have managed to colonize almost all the way down to the wine resource far to the South West of Carthago...

16. Seidrik_The_Gray

This brings up a suggestion. Could we increase the gold slightly from the holy cities? We went from gobs of gold to almost nothing. There should be a middle ground here, perhaps make it equal to the size of the holy city? This would at least grant a reflection of the tourist dolars and influence of the holy city. As it is now, I typically forgo founding religions...

My two ingots.

17. scipian

scipian Czar

Pardon my ignorance. Feel like an idiot. But how do I install the mod? I've downloaded it. It's in my install files folder. I click on it. Extract it to Civilization IV, Mods folder. But it stays as an exe. and won't come up as a mod. Any help would be much appreciated.

18. thamis

thamis King of Kish

You run the EXE file (double click it) and then you select the installation folder, which is your MAIN CIV4 folder, and NOT the mods folder.

If you use a Mac, you have to download the ZIP file which is also on our download page.

19. thamis

thamis King of Kish

We're actually thinking of scrapping religions altogether and rename them to Cultures, which will then allow special buildings and units for each culture.

20. scipian

scipian Czar

Oh. Thanks very much, Thamis.