Version 2.4 feedback

Davidr,

:
Originally Posted by JEELEN
Installation requires the Add-on to be unzipped into the BtS/Mods folder, not the RoM 2.4(1) folder; is this correct?
zappara wrote:
Yes, to mods folder.. the addon zip file should have "Rise of Mankind" -folder included in it. When installing, it should overwrite couple files from RoM 2.4 (audio + diplomacy)

Is this the procedure you used?

From the same thread it seems that many ppl have trouble with this large Civ Add-On pack.

JosEPh

JosEph II,

What you have stated might well be the case , however I am talking about failing to load the mod before playing a game , not a CTD during play when the system overloads.

At present you can try to start a game on a Giant of Gigantic map using ROM 2.41 with the added civs pack and with only 2 civilizations ( yours + one other ) and the mod will still fail to load with the runtime error.

These map sizes seem to be the problem when used with the add-on civ pack

Davidr
There's some issues with map scripts since I added Marsh terrain to the mod - for v2.5 I've gone through all of the scripts and adjusted many of them, though many still can't place Marsh on the plots but at least the scripts should work with default terrains again - I still need to test them all with various settings and that takes some time because there's so many different scripts.

I noticed a bug with the mapgenerator.
When I selected Terra or Earth2 maptype, it generated a map without water. It looked like lakes without, well, the lakes.
I picked the largest possible world size, could that have to do with it?

Edit: Nevermind, this is allready discussed in the appropriate thread... sorry.
I've fixed those for v2.5 - actually did spent some 3-4hours the other day with Earth2 script to make it work again.. Apparently only the mapgenerator python file was set correctly to make Marsh terrains (mod component I merged) and all the different map scripts were left to default BtS terrain settings so I'll have to edit each of them now for the next version.

With v2.5 I made test with RevolutionDCM 0.96beta and in my test game I started on Modern era (year 1900+) and played up to 2040s without CTDs. I'll have to play more test games this month but so far the changes seem to have increased stability.

Man just came to say this and FFH are the most essential mods for CIV4. And yours is the greatest in terms of seriousness and coherent selection and work, since other mods have weird stuff. Please keep it up!
now im going back to play another match!

There's some issues with map scripts since I added Marsh terrain to the mod - for v2.5 I've gone through all of the scripts and adjusted many of them, though many still can't place Marsh on the plots but at least the scripts should work with default terrains again - I still need to test them all with various settings and that takes some time because there's so many different scripts.

I've fixed those for v2.5 - actually did spent some 3-4hours the other day with Earth2 script to make it work again.. Apparently only the mapgenerator python file was set correctly to make Marsh terrains (mod component I merged) and all the different map scripts were left to default BtS terrain settings so I'll have to edit each of them now for the next version.

With v2.5 I made test with RevolutionDCM 0.96beta and in my test game I started on Modern era (year 1900+) and played up to 2040s without CTDs. I'll have to play more test games this month but so far the changes seem to have increased stability.

zappara,

Would the map scripts you mention conflict then with the addon civ pack using Giant and Gigantic maps? I ask this because with your basic 2.41 ROM you can play on Giant and Gigantic maps which show marsh terrain without any problem.

Davidr

JosEPh II,

I have the ROM Mod + addon civ pack working fine on any map size up to Huge. It is only when you try to play using Giant or Gigantic map sizes that the Runtime error occurs on trying to load the mod.

Davidr

Hi All,

First off, RoM is the best Mod (FFH is good, RoM is better). Congrats and thanks to all the team for RoM!

The only bad thing is that I cannot seem to finish a game. My last three games have all CTD approximately around the same period in game: about mid-industrial era. The crash occurs after I end my turn and about at the usual time other civ's try to contact me for diplomacy before my next turn starts. There is no warning, just straight to the 'report an error to Microsoft' window and then the desktop. No MAF or any other message. The map is huge, generated with Smartmap v9. I have the latest v4.1 RoM as well as up to date drivers. My machine is a Windows XP Pro 32bit, 3Gb ram, Nvidia 6600GT 128Mb, AMD 3500+. I have tried turning down all graphics settings, but it did not help (I was gettting MAF on previous games but was using a gigantic map. Switching to huge seemed to have fixed that.)

Any help or fixes are appreciated as I really want to take over the world.

Thanks.

PS Savegame and log files attached.

Attachments

• Savegame and Logs.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 48
zappara,

Would the map scripts you mention conflict then with the addon civ pack using Giant and Gigantic maps? I ask this because with your basic 2.41 ROM you can play on Giant and Gigantic maps which show marsh terrain without any problem.

Davidr
Well, it's possible that there's all kinds of weird conflicts with Giant and Gigantic maps with some map scripts - Basically the problem lies in the DLL file as it doesn't have defines for Giant and Gigantic map sizes and some mapscripts require those defines. Advanced scripts like Smartmap don't require those defines - it really depends how the mapscript is coded... What I can do to RoM v2.5 is to make all mapscripts work correctly up to Huge map size and Giant, Gigantic maps will work correctly only on some scripts.

Hello guys,

I have finally ended a RoM 2 game (with Rev without Barbs)! Now i feel capable of giving some feedback. Here goes:
- I like the late eras tech speed, but the problem still is the ultrabooster research buildings, like Edison's and Einstein's. Once you get them, it becomes impossible to the other teams to reach you in terms of tech. The bonus should be more modest, like 25 or 30 percent.
- My score was twice the second one's at the end, and i still didn't win. The reason? Cultural victory. Once the techtree was enlarged, diplomatic and cultural victories should be postponed too. My sugestions? Level 6 of city culture level, like "Mankind Patrimony" and diplomatic victory could be turned on with that technology that allows "Mind Control Center".
- The marsh / peat bog are great! Worked perfectly for me, since i didn't use Battle Effects.
- Beyond the research bonus, most of the culture, hammer and coin ones should be diminished too. WHAT IS SILICON VALLEY? ULTRAPOWERFUL!!!!
- As possible addon, i heard of one called Imigration. I always missed the possibility of manage my cities population, as like the food produced by them. It seems untrue to me that a canceled importation deal of rice, for instance, would bring New York or Paris to starvation.
- Can you improve the diplomatic relationships? I hate a tiny one-city civ demanding me to cut relations with a great one.
- Can we divide the Open Borders agreement in more than one kind? The fact i want the chinese goodies in my land shouldn't allow Mao Zedong to walk with his army back and forth, unless i let him.
- Horse should be obsolete at certain point, maybe Mass Transit.
- The same goes to stone and obsidian.
- New resource: soy (is that word right? Português - Soja -- Español - Soya). Nowadays it's a very important food resource.

Sorry for the mess in my ideas, i'm starting a new game and i'll write down my feedbacks so the next ones will be more clean.

Once more, thank you Zappara for this Civ 4 expansion.

Konrad

- Beyond the research bonus, most of the culture, hammer and coin ones should be diminished too. WHAT IS SILICON VALLEY? ULTRAPOWERFUL!!!!

Silicon Valley, California is the heart of most (if not all) computer chip technology development. They call it "Silicon" because that's what the computer chips are made out of. And just recently, in Silicon Valley, scientists have made a major breakthrough putting computer chips in an entirely new generation of "small" and "powerful" "Using nanotechnology, they can use a microscopic lens to carve circuits with an ultraviolet beam instead of using silicon... It will be 10x effective, and 10x cheaper, and should be in use about 2-5 years" - News Article

- The same goes to stone and obsidian.
- New resource: soy (is that word right? Português - Soja -- Español - Soya). Nowadays it's a very important food resource.

I can see the obsoletion of Obsidian, but not stone... In this game where resource balancing isn't all too well, he put that in to replace the mixture needed to create glass. Yes, Soy is used commonly for dairy replacement beverages and food, but what strategic bonuses does the resource have that won't unbalance the game further? and for what use?

Silicon Valley, California is the heart of most (if not all) computer chip technology development. They call it "Silicon" because that's what the computer chips are made out of. And just recently, in Silicon Valley, scientists have made a major breakthrough putting computer chips in an entirely new generation of "small" and "powerful" "Using nanotechnology, they can use a microscopic lens to carve circuits with an ultraviolet beam instead of using silicon... It will be 10x effective, and 10x cheaper, and should be in use about 2-5 years" - News Article

I know what is the Silicon valley. I expressed myself badly. What i meant is that +25% gold, hammer and beacon boni was too much.
The same goes to Nanofactory, Android Factory, E-Bank, Artist Guild and others.
I think a +50% bonus should be extremely, extremely rare.
I got in the end of the game with my research at 100% and had 3000 extra gold every turn, because of these exaggerations.

I can see the obsoletion of Obsidian, but not stone... In this game where resource balancing isn't all too well, he put that in to replace the mixture needed to create glass.

OK, I agree with you, but at least the +1hammer bonus of stone could be cut at late game.

Yes, Soy is used commonly for dairy replacement beverages and food, but what strategic bonuses does the resource have that won't unbalance the game further? and for what use?

I don't know since when mankind eats soy, but a few minutes at Google do the work. Its boni could be like wheat or rice, and even more: in the late eras, could figure in the energy-generator resources list of Standard Oil Corporation. I just know that can't be out of RoM.

More ideas:

-Roads and RailRoads should cost money, like done with Shaft Mines and other improvements. It would avoid the inverossimile spam of it around our lands and AI's.
- The civics should be changed DESPITE the player and AI's will, using the Revolutions mod or maybe the new events. This would reflect situations where societies' intellects know what would be the best type of state, but can't change how the things are.
- Following this idea, a new Great Person could be created: the Great Revolutionary, like Lenin. These guys can give the players the possibility of change civics accordingly their will.

- Open Borders Division:
- Civil Open Borders (Scouts, Workers, Merchants)
- Commercial Open Borders - Trade Routes
- Military Open Borders
The differents levels of these would change the :( caused by spies getting caught.

- Military maintenance should much more expensive, and armies size food-production limited. This would increase even more the battle experience importance, as well the military strategies. It also would cause a much more frequent change of cities' ownership, like real history.

- The trade routes could be explicitely player-designed, I mean, manually. This would stimulate even more the exploration beyond borders, and the discovering of new routes, more cheap or not. When I say this, i'm thinking at the portuguese efforts at the Middle Age to discover new paths to India, in order to get the valuable resources there, without depend on Venezian or Genovian merchants.

I have more ideas, but i can't remember all of it. I will post more of them in the brief future.

The changes you ask for would put an even heavier toll on the already heavy burdened Civ 4 engine...As most of us know by now, even as the mod is now, the Civ 4 engine has problems handling it "especially" late game. (Not all of your changes)

With the military maintenance issue, that sounds like a heavy python (or maybe C++ if someone is experienced enough) and python isn't exactly man's best friend. It's large, it's clunky, it's inefficient, but we must use it. Most of the slowdown usually involves python in fact so adding more would just increase this stress.

Trade routes, same thing. You'd have to overhaul the whole way Civ 4 handles trade routes meaning that it will probably not run smooth. This is also alot of micromanagement on the player and may become more of a burden than a virtue.

The open borders division would have to be some heavy (or maybe light coding) into C++ but ultimately doesn't seem necessary.

Roads should not cost more. This would be an unnecessary expenditure in early-early game (especially in harder difficulties) but the Railroad expenditure seems fine to me.

Other than that, the revolution mod changes will have to be discussed in their thread.

- Now for your first post lol

I've never seen or have had anywhere close to a cultural victory in my games (though the score difference is grander -sometimes a 5x difference lol)

Stone should never become obsolete lol but I'm ok with obsidian.

As for a new resource, I think we already have too many as is.

The changes you ask for would put an even heavier toll on the already heavy burdened Civ 4 engine...As most of us know by now, even as the mod is now, the Civ 4 engine has problems handling it "especially" late game. (Not all of your changes)

Obviously new changes will generate more weight to the system. But I think we can't be satisfied never. My suggestions have the goal of discussing ideas and concepts that i wanted to see in a Civ 4 game, trying to approach as much as possible to the reality. I don't know absolutely nothing about coding. Python, C++, XML are greek to me, so I let these to Zappara decide if we can put it or not. I want to discuss not if we can, but if we should or not, and why.

With the military maintenance issue, that sounds like a heavy python (or maybe C++ if someone is experienced enough) and python isn't exactly man's best friend. It's large, it's clunky, it's inefficient, but we must use it. Most of the slowdown usually involves python in fact so adding more would just increase this stress.

Can't we just rise the multipliers of maintenance and associate military units to all the food produced by the cities, creating a limit?

Trade routes, same thing. You'd have to overhaul the whole way Civ 4 handles trade routes meaning that it will probably not run smooth. This is also alot of micromanagement on the player and may become more of a burden than a virtue.

Yes, i agree that the manual management of trade routes can be exhausting if we don't do it right. I thought in a system like the citizens system, that you can automate it. I think hardcore players could enjoy micromanaging it.

The open borders division would have to be some heavy (or maybe light coding) into C++ but ultimately doesn't seem necessary.

Open Borders division is the most clearly necessary change in my opinion. Why can't I have the commercial benefits of a Open Borders Agreement without let my rivals walk with their armies between my cities?

Roads should not cost more. This would be an unnecessary expenditure in early-early game (especially in harder difficulties) but the Railroad expenditure seems fine to me.

I still think that road should cost something more than just time. It can be gold, or hammer or even food. If it will burden the early-game finance, we should think how balance this. How did ancient societies finance the roads construction?

I've never seen or have had anywhere close to a cultural victory in my games (though the score difference is grander -sometimes a 5x difference lol)

The lack of cultural victories in your games may have relation to your great advantage to your AI opponents, or other especific reason. What I said is: If tech victory was delayed, cultural and diplomatic ones should be delayed too.

Stone should never become obsolete lol but I'm ok with obsidian.

What do you have made of stone in your house?

I have new ideas for resources too, i think we can balance the game more using it, just bringing down the benefits. Here goes:

New resource branch:

- Alcoholic Beverages
With a technology named "Destilation and Fermentation Techniques", a building named "Drink Factory" or something like that could be constructed.
This way it goes:

- Sugar Cane (in substitution of Sugar) --> "Drink Factory" --> Alcoholic Beverages
- Grapes (in substitution of wine) --> "Drink Factory" --> Alcoholic Beverages
- Rice and Wheat and corn , -->"Drink Factory" --> Alcoholic Beverages

This resource would be exactly the same of wine, only more common.

Also:

- Sugar Cane --> Sugar Refinery -- Refined Sugar
- Sugar Cane, Corn --> Oil Refinery --> Ethanol (Standard Ethanol Corp. can be deleted)
- Chicken
- I think vulcanized and synthetic rubber can be deleted. That i consider unnecessary weight to the game. Just rubber would do the job, gaining more bonus as the game progresses.

This excellent mod has a very unnerving problem for me: I get contacted 2 to 3 time per turn by various Civ. And the problems is that despite me having a good PC (dual core with 3 gigs of RAM and 512 MB video card, it takes everytime 15 seconds to load the screen. This is really annoying.

Well, it's possible that there's all kinds of weird conflicts with Giant and Gigantic maps with some map scripts - Basically the problem lies in the DLL file as it doesn't have defines for Giant and Gigantic map sizes and some mapscripts require those defines. Advanced scripts like Smartmap don't require those defines - it really depends how the mapscript is coded... What I can do to RoM v2.5 is to make all mapscripts work correctly up to Huge map size and Giant, Gigantic maps will work correctly only on some scripts.

(Posted this in the 2.x feedback thread, but) The RoM 2.4 Hueg Earth 18 civs map won't load; after an error message the game just freezes...

This excellent mod has a very unnerving problem for me: I get contacted 2 to 3 time per turn by various Civ. And the problems is that despite me having a good PC (dual core with 3 gigs of RAM and 512 MB video card, it takes everytime 15 seconds to load the screen. This is really annoying.

Go to video options and turn off Anti-Aliasing.

I'm having a strange interface bug problem :( I have XP, fully upgraded to 3.17, RoM 2.41, I've tweaked my settings as much as I can but still can't seem to figure out where the problem is originating from.. I've deleted/reinstalled RoM several times but that seems to be having no effect... And the strange thing of it all is, its only doing it on my desktop. My XP laptop is having no problems and is running RoM 2.41 on 3.17 fine..

What do you have made of stone in your house?

Oh, nothing, just the driveway, the foundation, the road outside, the sidewalks... what do you think concrete is, other than processed stone? Aggregates are most commonly made from gravel, while cement itself is made from a variety of things, all of which are stone-derived. Aside from which, what do you have in your house that's made of uranium? Got anything made from horses?

Oh, nothing, just the driveway, the foundation, the road outside, the sidewalks... what do you think concrete is, other than processed stone? Aggregates are most commonly made from gravel, while cement itself is made from a variety of things, all of which are stone-derived. Aside from which, what do you have in your house that's made of uranium? Got anything made from horses?

Maybe he has a glue stick somewhere :p

Maybe there is actually a little something that could be added to the game here? Maybe in the industrial or modern era an aggregates plant that requires stone and produces aggregate/concrete/cement products (much in the same way as the steel mill/ammo factory/oil refinery works) that could be a prerequisite for some of the modern buildings...

Just a thought, I mean it may not be totally necessary at all and could mess up the game mechanics. Could have side benefits like +1 road movement with paved roads to suggest upgraded roads? If it would unbalance the later game by not letting civs without stone build the newer buildings maybe make it give production bonuses? I don't know I am just brain dumping right here!

Top Bottom