Version 2.4 feedback

Reproducible late game crash with standard 2.41 (no extra civ add-on):

View attachment 193444

Too bad tho, it was a really epic game...

I tried it and it's crashing for me, too.
Exactly the same issue I had with my 3 Epic Snail games in 2.2: late game crashes (starting about round 1300)
I hoped these crashes got fixed, but it seems it's not worth putting much effort in an Epic Snail game when you know it'll crash before the ending :( A pitty, as the MOD is really fantastic.

I still continue to get crash in core DLL in the late game on large and huge maps. I suffered from this bug in 2.3, 2.4 and now in 2.41 :(

Attached is the problematic game. Press End Of Turn and you will get crash.

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-1988.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.6 MB · Views: 93
Could you reduce the revolution's probabilty for AI's and maybe make them know how to handle upcoming revolutions (atleast a little bit). Because that kinda makes the game easier when AI grows a large empire, but almost always it collapses due revolutions. ;)

I had 2 CTD today, while I was only 15 turns away from the end; the first one happened in July 2042 and I resolved it by erasing the Portuguese civ, the second one happened 2 turns later and I still haven't discovered what caused it. Attached are the savegames; RoM version is 2.4.

Edit: It looks like I can't upload my savegames to the forum, so I uploaded them on rapidshare; it's a rar file containing 2 savegames:
http://rapidshare.com/files/161049484/Saves.rar.html

Actually, you can do it as an attachment.
If you upload it to the database you have to wait til its approved (until you get a certain amount of posts)
Too bad they erased my acc tho, I had like 500 posts T-T

Actually, you can do it as an attachment.
If you upload it to the database you have to wait til its approved (until you get a certain amount of posts)
Too bad they erased my acc tho, I had like 500 posts T-T

I see, thanks! :)

Corrado

Perhaps in the medieval era there could be a precursor to the Hotel, an 'Inn' or 'Tavern' that offers a small financial gain and a small espionage gain.

Ah crap, I guess I did this to myself but any reason why adding the Better AI 0.41 to the core game should screw up this mod (no interface)?

Dropping in the old BugPath.py nor doing the old NoCustomAssets = 1 made a difference.

I still continue to get crash in core DLL in the late game on large and huge maps. I suffered from this bug in 2.3, 2.4 and now in 2.41 :(

Attached is the problematic game. Press End Of Turn and you will get crash.

Yep, this problem is at least in since 2.2 or earlier. Really a pitty, the mod is great, but not making sense playing it as everytime you spent a lot of time and work in a game it'll crash.

Really wonder why this is not solved - there are so many reports about the crashings, there are so many save games where it could be debugged but yet nothing is done about it.

Sorry to speak so, but don't see any reason why new stuff is implemented in the mod when the crashes are not addressed and it can't be played :(

It really hurts to see this great mod and the tremoundes work that has been done for it being just sensless. It's a shame.

Yep, this problem is at least in since 2.2 or earlier. Really a pitty, the mod is great, but not making sense playing it as everytime you spent a lot of time and work in a game it'll crash.

Really wonder why this is not solved - there are so many reports about the crashings, there are so many save games where it could be debugged but yet nothing is done about it.

Sorry to speak so, but don't see any reason why new stuff is implemented in the mod when the crashes are not addressed and it can't be played :(

It really hurts to see this great mod and the tremoundes work that has been done for it being just sensless. It's a shame.

Have patience with a mod this large. Problem probably lies in a combined mod within ROM. So look for new versions of DCM/REV/BAI for a bug fix.

BTW: When starting a game in Industrial era I have not encountered this bug.

zaparra,

Your ROM 2.41 with the extra add-on civ pack appears to crash on loading when trying to use Giant and Gigantic maps. Have you been able to replicate this or suggest a fix?

Davidr

If you're a frequent visitor to this Mod's Forum you might've picked up on some of the limitations of a Mod this large.

What am I talking about?

Huge and larger maps with more than 9-10 AI create so much data in the Industrial age and onward that "some" Computer systems experience crashes. The Core BtS engine can't handle the data load very well once it reaches a certain "size". The amount of data produced in RoM far exceeds the Core BtS game. And the game itself has coding limits.

Optimazation *fixes* are hard to come by because it needs someone with extensive XML and Python skills to spot the problems in the coding. Musicfreaks' cPickle fix has helped in speeding up the *loop* processing. Other coding fixes like it need to be found. It really doesn't matter how *Super* your computing system is if the "program" it's running needs refinement. Which also brings up knowing your Computer's *abilities*. For example the AGP Settings under Chipset Settings for many motherboards BIOS. If you've not checked your Comp's BIOS settings to see IF you have that feature then your Video card may not be utilized to it's full capacity. IF your BIOS under Chipset Settings DOES have an AGP Aperture setting make sure that the setting matches your V-cards ram (ie if your v-card has 256mb of ram, the AGP Aperture setting should also be set to 256mb). This aleviates some CTD's in the Industrial Era and beyond for Some computer systems.

So here's a gentle friendly suggestion: scale back on your Mod settings. Try only an 8 AI game on a large/huge map with out all the add-ons. If your game then finishes w/o a CTD then you will know that the core MOD works on your computer. Then start with another game with only 1 or 2 add-ons and a few more AI. If it works you will begin to get a feel for what your system can handle. But going "whole hog" at the start is generally a sure fire way to get a CTD.

On top of all that zappara has stated that there are some limitations. Playing with 32 AI and the Barb Civ add-on is a sure way to get a CTD. As soon as the 1st Barb civ tries to establish itself the max number of AI for the .dll gets exceeded and you Will CTD.

There are other cases similar to this. Please, read what zappara, kalimachus, and strategyonly post about the mod.

And remember they are only 1 person each, not a team, so *fixes* and checking your savegame(s) may take some time. Patience is a virtue, and when a MOD as popular and Large as RoM is not everyone's problem will get addressed. They do try though. I personally have been very impressed with their efforts and diligence in making RoM playable.

Gather as much info as you can and maybe you will solve a CTD yourself. But by all means don't stop posting if you are experiencing a reoccurring problem.

This IS a Great Mod. I've been playing it since RoM 0.8 and I rarely CTD anymore. BUT I don't try to Max out the MOD or my old PIV 2.4 ghz single core computer and winxp pro system either. Learn your limitations.

JosEPh :)

JosEph II,

What you have stated might well be the case , however I am talking about failing to load the mod before playing a game , not a CTD during play when the system overloads.

At present you can try to start a game on a Giant of Gigantic map using ROM 2.41 with the added civs pack and with only 2 civilizations ( yours + one other ) and the mod will still fail to load with the runtime error.

These map sizes seem to be the problem when used with the add-on civ pack

Davidr

I noticed a bug with the mapgenerator.
When I selected Terra or Earth2 maptype, it generated a map without water. It looked like lakes without, well, the lakes.
I picked the largest possible world size, could that have to do with it?

Edit: Nevermind, this is allready discussed in the appropriate thread... sorry.

Davidr,

So your problem is that you've made all your choices for game setup but then the Mod fails to load.

Is this added civs pack a separate module for RoM or one of the in game setup selections? I'm looking for details. Do you have RevMod selected? Barb Civs selected? Start as a Minor? etc.? This will help in tracking down a possible source of conflict.

JosEPh :)

JosEPh II,

The extra civs used is the mod issued by zappara for ROM

Even with all options off and only 2 civs playing the ROM 2.41 + extra civs will crash on loading if Giant and Gigantic map sizes are selected.

The basic 2.41 ROM without the extra civs can be played on any map size including Giant and Gigantic.

Davidr

I found something in my BIOS concerning the graphics card which I think has made a signifacant improvement: I ticked a box for NVIDIA graphics optmisiation. The BIOS had by default disabled it, but I think having it enabled is noticable.

Top Bottom