Version 2.4 feedback

Download 2.4 and patch 2.41 and after setting up game it stalls out upon loading and crashes. What am I doing wrong?

I dont know, I have that, too.
It sucks cause the previous versions (which I deleted...) worked properly. It's stopping always at 2/3 of the green bar now, no matter what game I try to set up: duell map/huge/random...

Note: I haven't changed my RoM directories name or anything else. It just freaking crashes. As it seems I am not the only one with this bug. Hopefully that can be solved. Btw. other Mods all work fine, its no general civ thing for sure, if you might suspect that.

^^^^^ Same problem.

Also when I install the 30 civ addon I get a C++ Runtime Library crash which is different from the 'standard 2.41 2/3 bar "Setup Map"' stall out. Instead it is a '30 civ-addon 2.41 1/3 bar "Initializing"' hard crash. It says there is something wrong with the .exe

DavidR confirms this and explains it more. VVVVV

I recently installed History in the Making mod, which required changes to Civ 4 registry... related?

I guess I will wait till 2.5

It was really fun to read the Civilopedia entries for all the new stuff though! Great work Zappa.

I sometimes get "TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_STRATEGY" before some of the entries and on various menu options. Is there a fix for that? It isn't a big deal at all.

zappara,

Just to confirm other posts - I have successfully installed and played with your ROM 2.4 version with the patch added.

However I have today downloaded and installed the extra civs you posted on 26.10.08. Now on trying to load a game I too get the C++ Runtime Library/ Runtime error warning ( during the init graphics phase of loading ) that states " the application requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way". Clicking OK returns me to the desktop.

Many thanks for your Mod / patch as it stands which for me is playable.

davidr

I get the same error if I try to play a large map with the RevDCM components in the custom game menu active. I did however manage to run a duel-sized map with RevDCM components switched off.

Here are my currently 100% reproducible errors with v2.41 + Civs Pack v1.2, please let me know if saves with any of these issues are needed.

1) I'm unable to respond to AI initiated diplomatic exchanges (either no buttons in center present or even if there they are present, selecting them has no effect). It does, however, work fine if I contact the AI.
2) Using the Fractal Map (might be the same with others), I often find Rice Resources on hills.
3) I'm able to build a mine on a forested/jungle covered hill even if I haven't yet researched Bronze/Iron. At least once cleared in this manner none of my cities receives any bonus timber either.

Here are my currently 100% reproducible errors with v2.41 + Civs Pack v1.2, please let me know if saves with any of these issues are needed.

1) I'm unable to respond to AI initiated diplomatic exchanges (either no buttons in center present or even if there they are present, selecting them has no effect). It does, however, work fine if I contact the AI.
2) Using the Fractal Map (might be the same with others), I often find Rice Resources on hills.
3) I'm able to build a mine on a forested/jungle covered hill even if I haven't yet researched Bronze/Iron. At least once cleared in this manner none of my cities receives any bonus timber either.

LordGek, I don't know about 1, whenever the AI's tried to contact me for open borders/etc., I've always been able to accept no worries.

AFAIK though 2) and 3) are design features.
I'm pretty sure I've heard of places where rice is farmed on hills in Asia.
As for mines, I believe the presumption is that the mine is underground, so you can have the forest up top, you don't have to clear it first. In fact, you actually get bonus production, because you've got a mine + a forest + a hill.
Similar theme with watermills and workshops, you'll find that you can build those without having to clear the forest/jungle. Towns, farms, and windmills, though, require you to clear the terrain.

I'm new at this, but do I install patch any where in ROM 2.4 folder? or in the main mode folder. Is there a specific folder in ROM 2.4 that patch should be placed? Thanks

I'm new at this, but do I install patch any where in ROM 2.4 folder? or in the main mode folder. Is there a specific folder in ROM 2.4 that patch should be placed? Thanks

If I recall right, it should go into your Beyond The Sword\Mods\ directory, because it includes \Rise of Mankind in the directory tree inside the archive.

So will I have 2 ROM 2.4 mod's named the same? Thanks

Nope.
You should have just one 'Rise of Mankind' folder under your Mods directory, created when you install ROM 2.4
Then when you install ROM 2.4.1, it should overwrite a few files inside that folder.

LordGek, I don't know about 1, whenever the AI's tried to contact me for open borders/etc., I've always been able to accept no worries.

AFAIK though 2) and 3) are design features.
I'm pretty sure I've heard of places where rice is farmed on hills in Asia.
As for mines, I believe the presumption is that the mine is underground, so you can have the forest up top, you don't have to clear it first. In fact, you actually get bonus production, because you've got a mine + a forest + a hill.
Similar theme with watermills and workshops, you'll find that you can build those without having to clear the forest/jungle. Towns, farms, and windmills, though, require you to clear the terrain.

Doh! While I never experienced this kind of error in other mods, I finally figured out how to flush out all remnants of BUG 3.5 from my main BTS directory (as opposed to just having it run as it's own mod) and I can now respond to AI initiated requests in this mod!

The only errors I'm catching currently, and easily solved in a case by case business, are some typos in some of these Extra Civs' Leader's game text (i.e. LEADER(X)_CIV4GameText.xml). Many of them have a typo like this:

"AI_DIPLO_FIRST_CONTAOUR_LEADER_ASIMEON_I_1" which should read, "AI_DIPLO_FIRST_CONTACT_LEADER_ASIMEON_I_1"

Unfortunately with every new build of RoM I get less and less play time before a memory crash.

Unfortunately with every new build of RoM I get less and less play time before a memory crash.

Ya... I guess I've been pretty lucky since 1.41 was the first game I ever had an early game CTD... Problem resolved by turning off Barbs, but I liked the extra civs that popped up and gave the game that extra umph of difficulty :cry:

BTW, in my current game, I have stack and archer bombard on, and I HATE how the AI completely underestimates the power of the archer, I beat a civ that had double my military strength, yet I ended up taking two of their cities since 80% of my military is composed of archers... so in future versions when archer bombard is on by default, you might want to increase AI archer weight to make them a bit more challenging.:cool:

LordGek,

Are you saying that you have installed and run the Extra Civs pack without receiving a runtime error on loading the ROM 2.41 mod?

davidr

LordGek,

Are you saying that you have installed and run the Extra Civs pack without receiving a runtime error on loading the ROM 2.41 mod?

davidr

Yes. It has always loaded fine for me.

This crash you speak of is in the initial loading of the mod, even before starting on any actual map?

LordGek,

Yes, the runtime error occurs after setting all the game parameters and then whilst awaitng for the mod to load to start the game - it seems to occur during the "init graphics" phase of loading.

I have the Blue Marble terrain loaded but as ROM 2.4/2.41 plays ok with this I do not think this could be the cause.

davidr

I'm still getting CTD when a custom game is started in Modern Era, as in earlier modes, with Barbs and Rev turned off. Using a standard map, 6 civs, and on quick speed.
Anyone experiencing the same problems and know of any fixes?

Got a reproducible crash, in the modern era, attached. Hit end of turn, and you should get it.

The installation is as follows - BTS, 3.17 patch with no other mods.
ROM 2.4
Patch 2.4.1
ROM Extra civ Pack 1.2

The game is played with all defaults on, except that Revolution is off (don't trust it yet). Hemispheres, normal size, marathon.

on the plus side I think I've worked around the memory access errors, at least for normal size maps - played to modern era and didn't crash once, until the problem I've just encountered now. Used the tips from this thread for vista32.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=224178

Attachments

• Crash.CivBeyondSwordSave
    722.5 KB · Views: 88
Top Bottom