Very quick noob SG

Ok, I decided to roll our start. Nobel level, standard size map. Spain (Isabella) is our leader.

So here's what I see... Corn is the only resource, but lots of river (floodplains) and some hills. Note our warrior can pop the hut on first turn.

4000 BC: Warrior pops the hut for a map (what I was hoping for) We see now that we will also have ivory in our borders if we do not move. Nothing that I see that would make me want to move, so I settle in place.

This looks like a good start, we also have Spices in our borders. Also spot another hut to the S. Set Madrid to a warrior. Set research to Meditation, to grab Buddism.

3840 BC: Warrior pops second hut for 39 gold.
Exploring...

3680 BC: Buddism founded in Madrid! Research set to Hunting.
3520 BC: Warrior in Madrid. Madrid will grow to 3 in 4 turns, at which point I will start a worker. Put a few turns in Barracks in the meantime.

3480 BC: Hunting in. Mining up next.

3440 BC: We meet our first neighbor... Ceasar! We may want to watch for the age of Pratorians!

3360 BC: Madrid grows. Set build to Worker. Due in 10 turns.

3320 BC: Our first warrior get attacked by a panther and wins. Set to heal, 2 turns.

OK, that ends by first turnset, 20 turns. Mining is due next turn. I think Bronze Working should be next up, to show copper, and to allow our first worker to chop a settler or two.

Here's our land after the first bout of exploring... Ceasar's scout came from the east. We have a very nice choke point to the south... in case there is someone else down there. There are a couple good city sites to the west (we'll want at least one coastal town, since this is a continents map!

Roster:

player 1: Maquis ----- Out the gate
player 2: bpierfy ----- On deck
player 3: nitroduckie -
player 4: GreyFox ----
player 5: penwa------ Can play if still interested

Looks like a good start, glad we're still doing it, even without Penwa I guess.

Note that this is also my first SG, but I'm looking forward to participating and whatnot.

With nothing better to say: gogo!

Ok I got the save. I'll be playing my turns pretty much right away - but I'm not sure how long the write-up will take.

I'm actually kind of nervous!

Another side note, I played my first prince last night and barely came in second. Ran out of time on the SS or I would have won.

Ok here are my turns.

Goals for this set (10 turns as stated in the beginning):

- Explore
- Get a worker
- Explore
- Explore

Inherited Turn:

Ok, I know its early, but I'm practicing my write ups while its easy...

Take a look at our wonderful city of Madrid - everything looks good so I press enter.

Turn 1 (3280BC):

Discover Mining.

I haven't heard from everyone as to what direction we want to go so I had to make my own decision. I'll be honest, this is where I struggle - what to get?

It was between Agriculture for the corn and Poly for another Religion and $$$,

I decide to go with Poly because we can already build a camp with the worker and have ag by the time he's done with the camp. Feel free to inflict physical pain if that was a mistake. :spank: I will also switch to ag if someone founds hinduism before we do.

Explore and press enter...

Turn 2 (3240BC):

Explore - warrior in the south is healed and continues exploring...

Turn 3 (3200BC):

Madrid's Borders expand.
Hut spotted in north - will pursue

Turn 4 (3160BC):

We meet Louis of France and we tell him about our peaceful ways..

Doh! - Hinduism found :mad: - no hydras for us..
I also realize that Maquis wanted BW so I switch to that - those lost turns are MY fault! :sad:

Here is some good news - we pop a hut up north and get ARCHERY!!! :goodjob:
Explore and continue..

Turn 5 (3120BC):

Explore.

Turn 6 (3080BC):

A forest grows three tiles east of our capital - and I continue exploring...
The north seems pretty barren - I wouldn't make it first priority. One good city there?

Turn 7 (3040BC):

Explore.

Turn 8 (3000BC):

Explore - worker due next turn...

Turn 9 (2960BC):

Worker done in Madrid - start Archer for defense. Archer due in 9 - growth in 8. We'll have bronze working by the time it grows, maybe we can chop a settler then.

More exploration...

Turn 10 (2920BC):

Worker starts on camp - we'll want ag and pottery soon for farms/cottages.
Spot a hut in the north.
BW in 5 turns
Madrid grows in 7 - archer in 8.
Hopefully I didn't do to bad - my fault on the poly try, I should have realized that 9 turns was to many (we weren't on a lake for crying out loud!).

Here are some shots of our exploration and lands for the dot maps.

The South:

The West:

The East:

The North:

Roster:

player 1: Maquis -----
player 2: bpierfy ----- Played
player 3: nitroduckie - Up Now!!
player 4: GreyFox ---- On deck..
player 5: penwa------ Can play if still interested

Things are looking okay. Regarding the hydra, I was thinking about that too. But Maquis go for Hunting,Mining, instead of poly, by then I think it would be too late to grab hindu. I think we could still go for Monothesim though.

I would think its time to go for a 2nd city though. I would expand eastwards to secure as much from the AI first, then fill in the coastal cities. I have not downloaded the save yet to look at the map more carefully though (will do so now).

EDIT: .... er, bpierfy, where is the save?

Doh!! I knew I was forgetting something... :suicide:

I'm having some trouble figuring out how to upload a save - as soon as I figure it out, it will be up.

View attachment 112729

Ok, here is the save - sorry about the delay, the turns actually took 10 minutes. Writing the log and forgetting the save accounted for the rest.

Sorry about Poly again, I was thinking we started with mining and hadn't researched anything else yet. I read the log - just forgot...

Don't worry about it, I am a SG noob myself and I believe I will (a) take 10 times the play time to post a proper report, and (b) forget about the save too :)

I have looked at the save, decided against coming up with a dotmap since BW is coming up, might as well wait for copper to show itself before attempting a dotmap.

I've got the save and will start to play shortly.

Hopefully we can formulate some sort of rough plan soon so that all of the individual turns aren't made so blindly.

Ok, I've loaded it up and everything looks good. I thought about switching production from an archer to settler, but decide to keep it on archer for 2 reasons: first we need another military unit, and second it will allow it to grow, hopefully producing the settler almost as quickly in the end (with chopping). Also as this is my first ever SG post, don't expect any pictures (but I do plan to do so in the future =P).

Turn 1 (2880 BC)
Warriors continue exploring.
Worker is working.

Turn 2 (2840 BC)
The nothern warrior pops the village and we get 50 g :mischief:
I we've explored far enough south for now and should strike out eastward to take a peek at our future rivals.

Turn 3 (2800 BC)
Exploring.

Turn 4 (2760 BC)
Worker finishes camp, Madras gains Ivory. I send him north towards the hills, anticipating a source of copper (Bronze Working in 1).

Northern Warrior finished exploring the peninsula.

Turn 5(2720 BC)
Bronze Working finishes. We didn't find any copper though :(.
I decide to research Agriculture next (as nothing had really been decided on and we'll need to get it eventually anyway).
I also adopt Slavery as a civic.

Because no copper was discovered I send the worker to a forest to start chopping for the settler.

The northern warrior turns back, and the southern warrior spots a Roman counterpart.

Turn 6 (2680 BC)

Worker starts chopping, warriors keep exploring. The northern one spots a roman scout on the peninsula.

Turn 7 (2640 BC)

Madrid grows.

Julius Caesar adopts slavery.

Turn 8 (2600 BC)

Archer done. I decide to send him to the edge of our borders to see what he can see before relegating him to guard duty. Workers finish clearing the forest and produce 30 hammers. The southern warrior spots Louis' border.

Turn 9 (2560 BC)

I send the worker to the wheat because we'll have agriculture next turn. Warriors continue moving. Louis is right next to a source of copper, so we'll need to find our own.

Turn 10 (2520 BC)

Agriculture finishes, I choose the wheel next (hopefully we'll have another city soon, and pottery's always good). Feel free to switch it before hitting enter, in fact we should probably discuss what it will be.

The worker starts a farm, and my turn is done.

Things to do before we continue:
Let's figure out what to research (the wheel was chosen for no special reason), and where to settle. I agree with Greyfox that we should try to seize some territory from the east where we will be contesting with the AI's before settling the coast.

Sorry I didn't have the chance to take screen pics this time around, but it gives you something to look forward to in the future :p .

Roster:

player 1: Maquis ----- (on deck because penwa doesn't actually exist).
player 2: bpierfy -----
player 3: nitroduckie - Finished.
player 4: GreyFox ---- Up now.
player 5: penwa------ Is he still playing?

Also, I suggest we try to find an active 5th player if penwa doesn't step up. We can try posting in the SG Registration thread and I'm sure we'll get a response.

You can treat this as my GOT IT post.

I will get it and play and post tonight (my night is US's morning). Don't have my Civ Disc with me, so can't look at the save now.

I see I have the responsibility of finding the second city, eh? Too bad about not getting any copper. Judging from bpierfy's screenies, I think I would settle somewhere east (closer to the fog of war), likely spot is the hill site one tile north of the corn, south to the pig. This is a bit agressive, to secure as much land for ourself as possible. It is also close enough to the southeastern bay to block off the AI from the east.

However this is all tentative, since I have only bpierfy's screenshot as info, which is not as up-to-date as nitro's, but from what I can gather from the turn-log, the french are at the south?

You guys have less than 12 hours to give me suggestions, that's if you are not all asleep. :D

My thoughts:

I like the pig and corn for a second city, but lets not get too close to JC - Without copper we could be very vulnerable to Praets. Who is south of the choke point? Maybe a good site for a third city as it has resources.

Researching is another story - I would say get Iron sooner than later because we don't have a metal. If we don't get iron, we'll be in for it. I'm sure we'll get some with all that land. That will dictate our third city, but I wouldn't wait for it for the second.

No marble, stone, or copper? Whats up with that? We better get Iron or I'm calling Firaxis. Seriously though, what kind of strategy can we have from this start? If we can expand and keep our economy somewhat above water, we'll be able to cash in down the road with all those commerce resources and pull a big tech lead.

I think the French (Louis) is at the south of the choke point, from nitro's report on "The southern warrior spots Louis' border.".

I would say we make good use of the Buhddism that we have founded, and spread it a little.

Agreed on Iron Working being the next to research. We desperately need iron/copper, now that JC has adopted to slavery, it implies that he has BW, which means praets are going to pop up soon.

Hopefully I'm not too late with this... Here's a dot map I drew up quick. (As always, this is my first dot map, so I'm open to other suggestions!)

To the north, I think we should go for blue dot first. This would give us some much-needed copper, and has a couple food resources. It would also be coastal. Not too far from Madrid, so we can connect it up quickly.

There are several sites I see to the south...

Someone else mentioned pink dot, which I agree with, to get some of the land to the east before Ceasar.

Yellow dot would make a great city for the choke point, assumeing someone is down there.

Nope, you are not too late. Just reach home, about to download and play.

I see there is copper. Now I think what nitro meant was there is no copper in our border, but there is coper for us to grab. :)

Yes, in that case I would try to get the northern blue dot first, followed by the pink dot (I would prefer shiftinhg the pink dot one tile south or SW on the hill for extra hill defense), followed by yellow dot (if there is more land to the south). But we need to uncover more the fog between the northern blue dot and pink dot.

The orange and SW blue dots are less important.

Ok, playing now ... :hammer: :hammer:

Sounds good, settle the NW blue dot first. I think we'll need to be prepared for a possible early war with Ceasar, unless we try to convert him. Either way I think copper is needed ASAP.

I see your point on moving pink dot. I didn't think of getting on that hill... city defense bonus would be a good idea. I would say move S one, that way we would pick up the sugar (later on of course).

I also posted on the SG registration thread as nitro suggested. Hopefully we can pick up another player to take up penwa's spot when it gets around to his second turn. I'm still considering myself on-deck to start the second set of turns.

I agree with GreyFox - In fact I was about to write the same thing and saw his response come in.

Northern blue first for copper (my bad on thinking we didn't have it). Pink to keep JC in check. and South for the choke point. We could almost use a scout or warrior to find out where everything is.

Now that we have copper, should we continue with iron? It may make the dot map better if we see iron. Where do we go after iron? If we are going to make a religion push of any sorts, we may want to shoot for the OR and other religious civics.

By the way, I check on these forums all day at work so I'll be able to respond fairly quickly - hopefully with usefull information...

IT (2520 BC):
Hmm ... why did we chopped rush the archer instead of chop rushing the settler? :confused: I veto the farming job, in preparation to chop the forest three tiles east of Madrid.

Turn 1 (2480 BC):
Warrior at the east discover stone! A wolf appears, let see if it will attack the warrior (its XP time!) :hammer:

Turn 2 (2440 BC):

Free XP indeed! Promote to Combat I. Set to heal.

Worker starts chopping.

Turn 3 (2400 BC):
:coffee:

Turn 4 (2360 BC):
:sleep:

Turn 5 (2320 BC):
Wheel researched -> Pottery

Settler completes -> Barracks

Turn 6 (2280 BC):

Worker back to farming corn

Turn 7 (2240 BC):
Another Wolf attacks our Western Warrior, free XP again!

Turn 8 (2200 BC):
:coffee:

Turn 9 (2160 BC):
:sleep:

Turn 10 (2120 BC):
Potery completes -> Animal Husbandry (We need it anyway, but next player can veto)

Settler in position, but computer suggest one tile west

Its up to next player to decide where to settle.

Some maps:
South of Madrid

North of Madrid

Our Units deployment:

And the save:

Top Bottom