Veteran soldiers

Babibo

Immortal
It seems impossible to train veteran soldiers in a university as it was in the old colonization. Is buying them in Europe the only alternative ? Can petty criminals be upgraded to free colonists with experience ? Can colonists become veterans during fight ?

Only way to get vets is in Europe.
Only way to upgrade criminals and servants is through education (via natives or schools).
You get CivIV style xp by fighting.

Yes, School type buildings only produce graduates that are currently working in the Settlement.
Since soldiers are stationed outside the colony, you can't use them to teach.

Just to add to Andvare's answer - you can turn a Criminal (or Servant) into a Missionary.

Veteran Soldiers aren't that great, incidentally. They just start with Combat 1 (+10%) and Leadership (Double experience). If you are fighting a lot during the middle of the game, they can be good (since the experience can add up), but if you are just piling them up to fight for independence, they aren't significantly better than any schmoe with guns (since they often won't live/fight enough to get much experience, at least in my experience).

Yeah, the only point in getting them is for Leadership, that is because there is no F-Father that gives this promo (maybe in the next milked-release?)

Obsolete: I think you may be right on the FF issue. I'm trying to remember back to Col1 (way too many years ago) and I think you could add George Washington as a FF to get the promotion bonuses for the Continental Army.

Yes, School type buildings only produce graduates that are currently working in the Settlement.
Since soldiers are stationed outside the colony, you can't use them to teach.

You answered your own question. If you want to make professional soldiers you need to put one INSIDE the colony so his profession is available on graduation.

And as a heads-up to those of you who are Civ-fanatics but new to Colonization, colonists aren't defenseless. If your colony is under attack and there's no soldiers around but there ARE guns in storage then random colonists will take them up in defense automatically.

You answered your own question. If you want to make professional soldiers you need to put one INSIDE the colony so his profession is available on graduation.

That didn't work for me. I've tried with both outside and inside (VS worked as a carpenter) the colony but both times I didn't have the option to upgrade to a VS. I've had money, around 2300, I've had the option to upgrade to elder statesmen etc but no veteran soldier. I think you can only get from Europe...

I don't think it's possible to train Veteran Soldiers. As Sarmatian said, you can't just have one work in the colony. It still isn't an option when you get a graduate.

I had one working in my colony as a farmer and when I trained a graduate I did not get the option to generate a vet.

Really? Well that's just stupid. If that's the case then they should at least allow free colonists armed to gain veteran status after gaining XP from fights. Independent from the usual XP system.

It seems impossible to train veteran soldiers in a university as it was in the old colonization. Is buying them in Europe the only alternative ? Can petty criminals be upgraded to free colonists with experience ? Can colonists become veterans during fight ?

Not AFAICS - definitely something else for the patch...

I was also suprised at first that I couldn't train veteran soldiers (as in Col 1) but having played a few games I have accepted that situation. The few vets I do get now become much more valuable to me and I let them fight the easiest battles first to gain experience then add more experience as well as leadership from Great Generals. There are always plenty of farmers and fishermen to use as cannon fodder but I take special care of my vets (they've got way cooler uniforms too).

As a Col1 vet as well, I was at first surprised by the lack of ability to make vets, but the experience system is VERY different. AFter a fight or two , you cant really tell the difference (once they've gotten Vet1). The only difference is if you're into indian stomping (I'm not) they will upgrade into elite units (vet1 and 2 and formation ftw!) but other than that, your basic farmer with guns and horses is equally effective.

Cheers,
Tradewind

As a Col1 vet as well, I was at first surprised by the lack of ability to make vets, but the experience system is VERY different. AFter a fight or two , you cant really tell the difference (once they've gotten Vet1). The only difference is if you're into indian stomping (I'm not) they will upgrade into elite units (vet1 and 2 and formation ftw!) but other than that, your basic farmer with guns and horses is equally effective.

I disagree. Vets can generate a snowball effect during the WoI, even you haven't been using them to fight before, thanks to the bonus xp they get. The more of the king's soldiers they kill, the more promotions they get, the more soldiers they can kill...

In my last game (Revolutionary, LBs from the start and therefore large REF), I got 4 GGs, and I used 3 of them on my veteran dragoons who were already quite well promoted. All had Veteran V and Formation (not playing as San Martin) and could kill anything. I only had 17 dragoons in total, but the REF didn't really stand a chance after the 1st landing.

Really? Well that's just stupid. If that's the case then they should at least allow free colonists armed to gain veteran status after gaining XP from fights. Independent from the usual XP system.

the veterans you recruit from europe know some formations and tactics (they survive some battle after all), and will be more effective than a colon you gave some guns to defend himself from the native (he will get stronger, so what, he still have no idea how to fight a war)

if you don't understand features, don't expose some things you believe as a fact..

Obsolete: I think you may be right on the FF issue. I'm trying to remember back to Col1 (way too many years ago) and I think you could add George Washington as a FF to get the promotion bonuses for the Continental Army.

Yes... By getting George Washington to your liste of founding fathers, every soldier winning a battle was promoted. Until the step after Veteran Soldier, which I don't remember the name of.

the veterans you recruit from europe know some formations and tactics (they survive some battle after all), and will be more effective than a colon you gave some guns to defend himself from the native (he will get stronger, so what, he still have no idea how to fight a war)

if you don't understand features, don't expose some things you believe as a fact..

Let's not rush to call someone's opinion stupid, ok? I'm of the same theory as most others - once you "hire" a veteran, he should be able to train others during their 10 year (on low average) degree... After all, isn't that what military training is?

With the patch you can now train veteran soldiers in your colonies. They didn't say if that was a new feature or a bug fix (which I suspect it was).

I believe it has been mentioned already, but ever since the official patch came out, it has become possible to train colonists as veteran soldiers through education. All you need is a veteran working in the city - not just garrisoned there, but actually working in some building there. Looks like I'll soon have dozens of veterans to play with!

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

Top Bottom