Vokarya's Workshop: Buildings

It should be THIS city, but it's using the same text as the stability bonus from civics, TXT_KEY_CIVIC_REV_INDEX_LOCAL_BONUS. It's called twice in CvGameTextMgr.cpp, lines 8852 (civics) and 13816 (buildings). We need a separate text key for stability from buildings.

I remember testing it. It only affects the city it's built in.

You're right and it's the same for
TXT_KEY_CIVIC_REV_INDEX_LOCAL_PENALTY
I'll push the change in next revision with text for 2 new lines

TXT_KEY_BUILDING_REV_INDEX_LOCAL_BONUS
TXT_KEY_BUILDING_REV_INDEX_LOCAL_PENALTY

That should work for the text.

I was looking at espionage defense and I had a couple of thoughts.

First, I don't think Automated Defenses needs to give espionage defense. We have a lot of other espionage defenses right now (Barbed Wire Fence - Arcology Shield, Police Station, Security Bureau-Security Center, Press Agency-TV Station, Surveillance Network-AI Surveillance).

Secondly, I wonder if it would be good to merge the Watchtower-Police Station line with the Security Bureau-Security Center line. Security Bureau now comes later than BTS (it was Democracy back then, and it's at Computers now) so you would get about an era of Police Stations before they upgraded.

AI don't use spies very much from what I've seen (All the useful missions are blocked behind impossibly large ESP numbers...) so I kinda felt that the large number of "+% Defense against espionage" traits was a bit much - or just kept around for multiplayer. I wouldn't mind seeing a few get trimmed down, though I think that it fits better with Automated Defense than it does with Arcology Shield.

I was looking at espionage defense and I had a couple of thoughts.

First, I don't think Automated Defenses needs to give espionage defense. We have a lot of other espionage defenses right now (Barbed Wire Fence - Arcology Shield, Police Station, Security Bureau-Security Center, Press Agency-TV Station, Surveillance Network-AI Surveillance).

Secondly, I wonder if it would be good to merge the Watchtower-Police Station line with the Security Bureau-Security Center line. Security Bureau now comes later than BTS (it was Democracy back then, and it's at Computers now) so you would get about an era of Police Stations before they upgraded.

Sounds good to me.

AI don't use spies very much from what I've seen (All the useful missions are blocked behind impossibly large ESP numbers...) so I kinda felt that the large number of "+% Defense against espionage" traits was a bit much - or just kept around for multiplayer. I wouldn't mind seeing a few get trimmed down, though I think that it fits better with Automated Defense than it does with Arcology Shield.

Automated Defenses is a civic building. That makes it an easier cut. Advanced Shielding is an upgrade of Barbwire Fence, and without espionage defense Barbwire Fence doesn't do very much. The Fence would be down to just its +50% defense, which doesn't apply against a lot of units by that point. The defensive gunpowder units and cavalry are kept out, but grenadiers, tanks, and artillery all ignore building defense. (I wish we had "hardened" defense that would cancel out defense-piercing effects.)

As far as the total goes, we are capable of getting up to +240% per city without Wonders. The Security Bureau was the ONLY BTS building that increased espionage defense.
  • +15% from TV Station (replaces +10% from Press Agency)
  • +25% from AI Surveillance/Surveillance Network
  • +25% from Police Station (replaces +10% from Watchtower)
  • +50% from Advanced Shielding (replaces +25% from Barbwire Fence)
  • +50% from Zurich-Orbital Uplink
  • +75% from Security Center (replaces +50% from Security Bureau)

We can shave off 50% by allowing Police Station to upgrade to Security Bureau and reducing Z-O Uplink to 25%. I think we could also leave off the bonus from Press Agency/TV Station. Press Agency increases culture and espionage and decreases war weariness without the bonus, and TV Station does all that plus an Artist slot. The total espionage defense is still high, but we also do have other buildings that provide Espionage points. Even Police Station is an AND addition.

If you're going to keep the Barbwire Fence, can it be renamed to Barbed Wire Fence (or even something else altogether)? Barbwire seems unnecessarily truncated.

Isn't Z-O Uplink a science building? :confused: Why the espionage defense?

It's not a science building at all. Zurich-Orbital itself is a corporate space station, serving as a combination bank/data haven. So it provides gold and espionage, not science. The Uplinks provide espionage defense by providing secure transmission of information to the station. I think setting at 50% was too high, and 25% would be better.

What do you think about CG?
Sevopedia says about 25% faster production of Textile mill in all cities.Is it really for all cities or for one city?
But if it's for one city how does it give production bonus for a prerequisite building?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 36
What do you think about CG?
Sevopedia says about 25% faster production of Textile mill in all cities.Is it really for all cities or for one city?
But if it's for one city how does it give production bonus for a prerequisite building?

It really is all cities. Buildings that increase production for a specific building class in their city use <BuildingClassProductionModifiers>, like Sphinx boosting Pyramids. Buildings that increase production for a specific building class across your civilization use <GlobalBuildingClassProductionModifiers>. This is what Cotton Gin uses.

The idea is that if you have Cotton, you build enough Textile Mills to get your Cotton Gins off the ground, then use the Cotton Gins to boost the production of Textile Mills in your other cities.

It really is all cities. Buildings that increase production for a specific building class in their city use <BuildingClassProductionModifiers>, like Sphinx boosting Pyramids. Buildings that increase production for a specific building class across your civilization use <GlobalBuildingClassProductionModifiers>. This is what Cotton Gin uses.

The idea is that if you have Cotton, you build enough Textile Mills to get your Cotton Gins off the ground, then use the Cotton Gins to boost the production of Textile Mills in your other cities.

Ok Vokarya,that's clear.
Congrats for your good work on motorized infantry icon.This change is essential for gameplay reasons.

Ok Vokarya,that's clear.
Congrats for your good work on motorized infantry icon.This change is essential for gameplay reasons.

I had to redefine the Motorized Infantry unit art style to get it to work right. If you find a place where the icon doesn't work, let me know.

Here is another thought I had that might streamline the game just a touch.

Is it necessary for the Corporate Store buildings (Aluminum Co. R&D, etc.) to actually require the Corporation's founding technology to build?

This is not to change the Corporations themselves, only the Store buildings.

I have noticed that in terms of counting tricks, Corporations count as 2 tricks each; one for their Headquarters that founds the Corporation and one for the Corporate Store. This does not feel right and artificially inflates some technologies' trick counts.

For a player to build a Corporate Store, either the player must found the Corporation (and therefore has the necessary tech), or must not have the necessary tech and be not running any civic that has No Corporations/No Foreign Corporations, as well as another civilization having founded the Corporation in question and spread it to their city. This seems unlikely enough, and Corporations are sufficiently double-edged when used without founding the Corp yourself (in terms of maintenance) -- definitely keep in mind that only the Corporate Economy civic can train Executives without the HQ -- that I don't think it would break anything if we simply allowed the Corporate Store to be built as soon as the civilization had Corporation tech.

I found something else that we can trim. I have done a lot of work to link buildings together into chains of upgrades. I think this makes the overall building list more manageable.

So what I don't think we need is an obsoleting tech on MOST buildings that are part of a chain when the end of the chain doesn't go obsolete.

For example, Archery Range currently goes obsolete at Rifling. It gets replaced by Garrison at Leadership. By the time you get to Rifling, you've lost the ability to build Archery units. You should also have upgraded your military production cities to Garrisons to get the best possible Gunpowder units. But if you haven't, or you have older cities that you aren't using for military production but still have Archery Ranges, I don't see what is so bad about allowing these cities to continue with the XP bonus for Siege units. Likewise, cities with Bazaars that haven't upgraded to Shopping Districts don't need to lose commerce for getting Applied Economics.

The only drawback that I can see is for players that play with the Hide Replaced Buildings option turned OFF. (I usually leave that option turned on.) It will cause the earlier buildings in the chain to appear on the build list until the later building is built for a longer period of time. (Going back to Archery Range; it would still be visible after Rifling with Garrison unbuilt, but would disappear as soon as a Garrison was built.)

There are a few buildings where a "paradigm shift" occurs that I want to keep. The big example is Castle upgrading to Star Fort. What starts as a government/military hybrid becomes a pure military building. So I want Castle to keep going obsolete at Economics.

I'm also thinking of adding a few more building links.

I think it might be possible to connect Furrier with either Tailor or Textile Mill. Furrier currently provides +1 gold and +2 commerce from Deer and/or Fur in city vicinity. I think what would work here is letting Textile Mill absorb Furrier. Textile Mill would get an additional +1 commerce flat-out, +1 commerce with Deer (most other cloth resources give +2), and an additional +1 commerce from Fur.

Secondly, I think Textile Mill should upgrade to Emperor's Clothing Store and Fashion House Store. We would just have to add the commerce bonuses from the Textile Mill to the stores.

Side note: I would also like to rename Fashion House Store as Fashion House Boutique. While I would normally fight for every single letter of a name, I think the extra flavor here is worth the three letters.

One more building link that I thought of is to link Stable and Knight's Stable to Garrison/Military Base and then having the Stable buildings not go obsolete. Making Knight's Stable upgrade to Military Base would cause absolutely no problems. Cavalry is nearly obsolete by the time you reach Logistics, but you are stuck with it if you don't have Oil Products and Steel/Aluminum.

Linking Knight's Stable to Garrison would have a few more ripples. It would mean relieving cities of the +1 unhealth from Knight's Stable once you reach the Renaissance, as well as the hammer cost of the Knight's Stable (base cost 100, less than a Courthouse). It would also shorten the window to build Royal Tournament unless we change the Tournament to require Knight's Stable or Garrison. That is an easy fix to make.

So why not change Fashion House Boutique to Fashion Boutique instead? It's a whole word shorter then.

So why not change Fashion House Boutique to Fashion Boutique instead? It's a whole word shorter then.

Fashion House is the name of the corporation. The Store/Boutique is not just an ordinary building. It's the Corporate Store tied to the Fashion House corporation. So I really can't cut that particular word.

Top Bottom