Vokarya's Workshop: Wonders

That would be it, then. It should certainly be under Particle Physics. :)

Excuse me, but if Jurassic Park wasn't a scifi, than what was it??
It is definitely scifi, which is about "What if?"

It can be called speculative fiction, a sci fi that is essentially very close to the reality but pushing it.

Excuse me, but if Jurassic Park wasn't a scifi, than what was it??
It is definitely scifi, which is about "What if?"

Scifi would be cybornetic implants, Artificial Intelligence, Weather control, mass-produced nanotechnology, etc.

Cloning is definitely not scifi. I think most people are just unaware because it is not reported on due to how many people dislike cloning due to religious reasons.

Scifi would be cybornetic implants, Artificial Intelligence, Weather control, mass-produced nanotechnology, etc.

Cloning is definitely not scifi. I think most people are just unaware because it is not reported on due to how many people dislike cloning due to religious reasons.

Ohh, yes, that's a common missbelief :)
Science fiction is not only robots and and spaceships, but discussing a certain topic from a scientific viewpont.
Or as wiki says:
Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with imaginative content such as futuristic settings, futuristic science and technology, space travel, time travel, faster than light travel, parallel universes, and extraterrestrial life. It often explores the potential consequences of scientific and other innovations, and has been called a "literature of ideas". Authors commonly use science fiction as a framework to explore politics, identity, desire, morality, social structure, and other literary themes.
For the very same reason Starwars is not a scifi, but a fantasy in a high-tech enviroment :p

And you are right "Cloning is definitely not scifi" on its own, but its consequences on a larger scale is. Cloning exists today, dinosaurs not.

Particle Physics sounds much better. Also...Dinosaur park? You are just passing on the opportunity for Jurassic Park? ;)

I like to think of it as keeping the spirit without feeling like I have to conform to the letter.

That would be it, then. It should certainly be under Particle Physics. :)

Not likely at this point. Keep in mind Modern/Particle Physics is one of the starter techs of the Modern Era, so pretty early for any kind of accelerator. Also, Supercollider is the ONLY thing Superconductors tech has right now. The Modern Era in general is full of great conceptual techs that need a lot of help to flesh them out.

Now that Coliseum has been removed as a building, could it live a new life as a wonder?

If you read the Jurassic Park novels, the park on Isla Nublar was the main site, but there were going to be park sites in most world cities built after the opening of the original site.

Further, if the park owners had not cheaped out and paid Nedry the bonuses he asked for, the Parks would have likely been successful! Never go cheap on programmers! ;)

Or if they had at least had it so the Backup generators were powerful enough to supply power to the electric fences and when they were activated it gave a loud warning.(Seriously why the hell did they not install backup generators powerful enough to run the damn electric fences!?)

Or if they had at least had it so the Backup generators were powerful enough to supply power to the electric fences and when they were activated it gave a loud warning.(Seriously why the hell did they not install backup generators powerful enough to run the damn electric fences!?)

The fence scene in the movie is not in the original novels.

The fence scene in the movie is not in the original novels.

No it exists in the novels. In them the shutdown seems to work perfectly as everything reboots up just fine. However it turns out they've been running on the backup generators which don't have enough juice to power the fences. Oh and they only way the even find out about that is they only notice it due to a the generators running out of fuel.

No it exists in the novels. In them the shutdown seems to work perfectly as everything reboots up just fine. However it turns out they've been running on the backup generators which don't have enough juice to power the fences. Oh and they only way the even find out about that is they only notice it due to a the generators running out of fuel.

Of course, it happened that way because Crichton couldn't think up a scene cogent enough to explain how the characters were endangered with raging dinosaurs :lol:.
Better to just accept the plot and move on while enjoying the ride ;).

Just the same with some almost implausible aspects of the game, yes?

Now that Coliseum has been removed as a building, could it live a new life as a wonder?

Of course. I just had to figure out exactly what twist to put on it, since I don't want wonders that are effectively retreads of existing ones (unless the retread is the point; see Via Appia/Golden Spike and Venetian Arsenal/Willow Run). I consider the Colosseum so iconic that to not have it means a gaping oversight, and "Flavian Amphitheater" doesn't have half the immediate impact that "Colosseum" does. That's why I kept the Arena name.

What I settled on was a pretty generous happiness bonus (+4 for the building city, +1 for all cities on same continent) and then a free Combat I promotion for all units built in the city. I consider this to be stronger than just giving a +2-3 XP bonus because it doesn't count against the unit's total level for determining XP thresholds. Since this ability is somewhat redundant for Aggressive leaders, as they already get it on Melee and Gunpowder units but could still benefit from it on other units, especially Mounted, I chose to not give Colosseum a resource-doubler and instead give it double production speed for Aggressive leaders, like Cristo Redentor getting double production speed for Spiritual leaders.

View attachment 383548View attachment 383547View attachment 383546

That seems very reasonable, Vokarya. I like it. :)

Of course. I just had to figure out exactly what twist to put on it, since I don't want wonders that are effectively retreads of existing ones (unless the retread is the point; see Via Appia/Golden Spike and Venetian Arsenal/Willow Run). I consider the Colosseum so iconic that to not have it means a gaping oversight, and "Flavian Amphitheater" doesn't have half the immediate impact that "Colosseum" does. That's why I kept the Arena name.

What I settled on was a pretty generous happiness bonus (+4 for the building city, +1 for all cities on same continent) and then a free Combat I promotion for all units built in the city. I consider this to be stronger than just giving a +2-3 XP bonus because it doesn't count against the unit's total level for determining XP thresholds. Since this ability is somewhat redundant for Aggressive leaders, as they already get it on Melee and Gunpowder units but could still benefit from it on other units, especially Mounted, I chose to not give Colosseum a resource-doubler and instead give it double production speed for Aggressive leaders, like Cristo Redentor getting double production speed for Spiritual leaders.

View attachment 383548View attachment 383547View attachment 383546
:goodjob:

As I see it obsoletes with Mass Madia. So isn't it redundant/confusing to give (display) Combat I to certain unit types (clone, high-tech, mech)? But it's just a tiny observation :lol:
Also curious about the bonus for animal units? :) Is that intended? Do you have some more plans with the planned hunting feature?

Also curious about the bonus for animal units? :) Is that intended? Do you have some more plans with the planned hunting feature?

For the upcoming 'Velociraptor Scout' and 'War Tyrannosaurus' units? :crazyeye: :lol:
(Joking of course!)

Unless something is actually planned, I'm thinking it was an accidental addition :)

It's the nature of the tag. The Free Promotion tag only allows you to specify a promotion. It then gets automatically applied to all units that are eligible.

BTS Red Cross don't display it that way. More likely the tag text got modified here :D

It's the nature of the tag. The Free Promotion tag only allows you to specify a promotion. It then gets automatically applied to all units that are eligible.

Yeah, I thought that must be the case. Anyway it was nitpicking.
I like the new Colosseum :)

Yeah... until someone clones a dinosaur I think it falls squarely into science fiction.

Top Bottom