1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Vokarya's Workshop: Wonders

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Vokarya, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

That would be it, then. It should certainly be under Particle Physics. :)

2. os79

os79 Deity

It can be called speculative fiction, a sci fi that is essentially very close to the reality but pushing it.

3. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Scifi would be cybornetic implants, Artificial Intelligence, Weather control, mass-produced nanotechnology, etc.

Cloning is definitely not scifi. I think most people are just unaware because it is not reported on due to how many people dislike cloning due to religious reasons.

4. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus N E X U S

Ohh, yes, that's a common missbelief :)
    Science fiction is not only robots and and spaceships, but discussing a certain topic from a scientific viewpont.
    Or as wiki says:
    For the very same reason Starwars is not a scifi, but a fantasy in a high-tech enviroment :p

And you are right "Cloning is definitely not scifi" on its own, but its consequences on a larger scale is. Cloning exists today, dinosaurs not.

5. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

Or do they?

These things always remind my grandma saying: When the Atomic Bomb exploded, I had just left Highschool. There we learned an Atom was indivisible.

6. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

I like to think of it as keeping the spirit without feeling like I have to conform to the letter.

7. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

Not likely at this point. Keep in mind Modern/Particle Physics is one of the starter techs of the Modern Era, so pretty early for any kind of accelerator. Also, Supercollider is the ONLY thing Superconductors tech has right now. The Modern Era in general is full of great conceptual techs that need a lot of help to flesh them out.

8. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

Now that Coliseum has been removed as a building, could it live a new life as a wonder?

9. Lord Bigfoot

Lord Bigfoot King

Or if they had at least had it so the Backup generators were powerful enough to supply power to the electric fences and when they were activated it gave a loud warning.(Seriously why the hell did they not install backup generators powerful enough to run the damn electric fences!?)

10. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

The fence scene in the movie is not in the original novels.

11. Lord Bigfoot

Lord Bigfoot King

No it exists in the novels. In them the shutdown seems to work perfectly as everything reboots up just fine. However it turns out they've been running on the backup generators which don't have enough juice to power the fences. Oh and they only way the even find out about that is they only notice it due to a the generators running out of fuel.

12. os79

os79 Deity

Of course, it happened that way because Crichton couldn't think up a scene cogent enough to explain how the characters were endangered with raging dinosaurs :lol:.
    Better to just accept the plot and move on while enjoying the ride ;).

Just the same with some almost implausible aspects of the game, yes?

13. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

Of course. I just had to figure out exactly what twist to put on it, since I don't want wonders that are effectively retreads of existing ones (unless the retread is the point; see Via Appia/Golden Spike and Venetian Arsenal/Willow Run). I consider the Colosseum so iconic that to not have it means a gaping oversight, and "Flavian Amphitheater" doesn't have half the immediate impact that "Colosseum" does. That's why I kept the Arena name.

What I settled on was a pretty generous happiness bonus (+4 for the building city, +1 for all cities on same continent) and then a free Combat I promotion for all units built in the city. I consider this to be stronger than just giving a +2-3 XP bonus because it doesn't count against the unit's total level for determining XP thresholds. Since this ability is somewhat redundant for Aggressive leaders, as they already get it on Melee and Gunpowder units but could still benefit from it on other units, especially Mounted, I chose to not give Colosseum a resource-doubler and instead give it double production speed for Aggressive leaders, like Cristo Redentor getting double production speed for Spiritual leaders.

View attachment 383548 View attachment 383547 View attachment 383546

14. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

That seems very reasonable, Vokarya. I like it. :)

15. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus N E X U S

:goodjob:

As I see it obsoletes with Mass Madia. So isn't it redundant/confusing to give (display) Combat I to certain unit types (clone, high-tech, mech)? But it's just a tiny observation :lol:
    Also curious about the bonus for animal units? :) Is that intended? Do you have some more plans with the planned hunting feature?

16. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

For the upcoming 'Velociraptor Scout' and 'War Tyrannosaurus' units? :crazyeye: :lol:
    (Joking of course!)

Unless something is actually planned, I'm thinking it was an accidental addition :)

17. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

It's the nature of the tag. The Free Promotion tag only allows you to specify a promotion. It then gets automatically applied to all units that are eligible.

18. platyping

platyping Sleeping Dragon

BTS Red Cross don't display it that way. More likely the tag text got modified here :D

19. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus N E X U S

Yeah, I thought that must be the case. Anyway it was nitpicking.
    I like the new Colosseum :)

20. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Warlord

Yeah... until someone clones a dinosaur I think it falls squarely into science fiction.