Volcanism, part deux

Crusis

Warlord
The problem with volcanoes spawning near the cities is resolved. Thanks for that!

But the whole volcano thing is still far more frustrating than game enhancing. The frequency of the event combined with the complete annoyance of having the screen jerked across the map has made the first few hours of my game a mixture of "Cool! C2C rocks!" and "Aaah, not another %(@&#)$(*)#($& volcano!"

Seriously, the volcano thing sucks. Seriously. I really never expected to exclaim "@(&#$(% volcano" so much in my life.

This game is utterly amazing. If it weren't C2C, the volcano thing alone would be enough to make me put this on the shelf. But it is C2C. And everything else (ok, maybe not my smokehouse burning down for the 23rd time) rocks!

Just my .02 dollars.

It sounds like perhaps it shouldn't be necessary to give a message for those volcanoes that spawn in the darkness. I'd think a message should only be delivered if the civilization would be fully aware of the volcanic activity...

Also, too... perhaps it wouldn't be necessary to have the screen recenter and send up a popup message... a basic game message would suffice. References to the location would allow for double-clicking on the message in the log to take you to the site if you wanted to research where that message entailed. Certainly they shouldn't be infrequent, especially at the beginning. But if they are too attention grabbing while being common, they would annoy as previously stated.

It sounds like perhaps it shouldn't be necessary to give a message for those volcanoes that spawn in the darkness. I'd think a message should only be delivered if the civilization would be fully aware of the volcanic activity...

Also, too... perhaps it wouldn't be necessary to have the screen recenter and send up a popup message... a basic game message would suffice. References to the location would allow for double-clicking on the message in the log to take you to the site if you wanted to research where that message entailed. Certainly they shouldn't be infrequent, especially at the beginning. But if they are too attention grabbing while being common, they would annoy as previously stated.

But that is not how events work. Basically we either need to remove volcanoes from the events altogether and write our own tectonic mod that does volcanoes and earthquakes or we have to put up with what we have. Another alternative is to rewrite the event system.

The problem with volcanoes spawning near the cities is resolved. Thanks for that!

But the whole volcano thing is still far more frustrating than game enhancing. The frequency of the event combined with the complete annoyance of having the screen jerked across the map has made the first few hours of my game a mixture of "Cool! C2C rocks!" and "Aaah, not another %(@&#)$(*)#($& volcano!"

Seriously, the volcano thing sucks. Seriously. I really never expected to exclaim "@(&#$(% volcano" so much in my life.

This game is utterly amazing. If it weren't C2C, the volcano thing alone would be enough to make me put this on the shelf. But it is C2C. And everything else (ok, maybe not my smokehouse burning down for the 23rd time) rocks!

Just my .02 dollars.

exactly.
after the first two trialgames, i never forget to disable those randoms events because of those volcanos.

A little annoying, yes. But to tell the truth, choosing between the way there are now and the way they used to be there is no choice. If you get that annoyed over it, you need to cut back on the caffeine. I play with viewports off, so I am not sure how you with them on are seeing it, but it isn't that bad for me.

i like them, except for the part where they return after they go totally extinct. building stuff on the tile seems to help against that, though i could be imagining.

But that is not how events work. Basically we either need to remove volcanoes from the events altogether and write our own tectonic mod that does volcanoes and earthquakes or we have to put up with what we have. Another alternative is to rewrite the event system.

Or perhaps give the event system some more options, particularly in the messaging system. Not exactly my forte - especially where understanding anything about python is concerned. But I can see how some other programmers here MIGHT be able to address the issue. But then again being able to address the issue and being able to force it into any kind of immediate priority is two different things.

Your option B sounds kinda interesting in itself actually... but for now I think it might be best to overlook the issue then.

If you really hate them that much the just turn them off. I think someone explained how to do that in the first volcano forum

Top Bottom