Vox Populi bug? Returning capital to eliminated civilization not possible when it was a vassal?

haerta

Chieftain
Hello community,

I wonder whether I found a bug or it's a feature.

In my current game I am in war with Sweden. Gustavus Adolphus has Brazil at his vassal. While "defending" I captured cities from Brazil because the were closer than those from Sweden. When I conquered Brazils last city I eliminated Brazil from the game.

Anyway, Sweden still held some of Brazils cities, including their original capitals. My problem is that when I conquer a city from Sweden which was founded by Brazil, I don't get the option to return the city to Brazil, even if it was their original capital.

I play civilization V in version 1.0.3.279 (Steam) with Vox Populi (formerly known as the "Community Balance Patch") in its latest version.

The attached savegame allows to validate the described situation: next turn you can conquer two cities from Sweden: First Salvador and the folowing turn it's their capital: Rio de Janeiro.

Is this a bug? Is there a way to return these cities to Brazil somehow?

Attachments

• Aktuell.Civ5Save
    4.9 MB · Views: 137
Well, makes totally sense, I wouldn't know if it really was meant to be that way. I expected the game to rely more on basic mechanics instead of being unforegiving!
But that brings me to another question: What happens when the vassal period is ended? Will Brazil come back to live then? The the cities fall back to Brazil even though they were eliminated?

This is can be a frustrating part about civ, but I do believe it's a "feature" of vassalage. If you want to liberate a vassal, but the vassal is between you and its master, then the master chose a strategic vassal. The vassal is successfully serving its role as a buffer state. You need to either fight them, or try to find a way around them while staying safe from their armies (a two- or even three-front war that requires overwhelming numbers.)

And if you beat on the vassal's cities they become unhappy with the master, making it more likely they'll break when they can.

Top Bottom